Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

Outdoor Co-Axial

Old 05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
richarddaily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor Co-Axial

I am interested in getting a Co-Axial for outdoor flying, in low wind conditions. I currently have a CX3 but it is very hard to fly in to slightest breeze.
I am looking at the Walkera 53#8. Does anyone have experience with this Heli outdoors? I have not seen much about this unit in this forum.
Are there any other suggestions for a good outdoor flyer right out of the box? I dont want to spend another $100-$200 in mods to get good outdoor performance.
The other option I have considered is the ESky Big Outdoor Lama, but I have read a lot about its motors shutting down from overheating and causing crashes. Is this still a problem with this Heli?

Thanks for your input

Life is a series of choices and the resulting consequences!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 AM
dchin62973

Default RE: Outdoor Co-Axial

ORIGINAL: richarddaily

I am interested in getting a Co-Axial for outdoor flying, in low wind conditions. I currently have a CX3 but it is very hard to fly in to slightest breeze.
I am looking at the Walkera 53#8. Does anyone have experience with this Heli outdoors? I have not seen much about this unit in this forum.
Are there any other suggestions for a good outdoor flyer right out of the box? I dont want to spend another $100-$200 in mods to get good outdoor performance.
The other option I have considered is the ESky Big Outdoor Lama, but I have read a lot about its motors shutting down from overheating and causing crashes. Is this still a problem with this Heli?

Thanks for your input

Life is a series of choices and the resulting consequences!
I have both the Walkera HM 53#1 (AKA Exceed Blazing Star) and the newer E-Sky BIG Lama. Both are considered large co-axials and use the same size blades. Having said that, the BIG Lama is the best heli of the two. Both motors on both helis heat up fast after flying since they are carbon brushed 370 motors. The reason why the BIG Lama shuts down after heating up is that each motor has a thermo fused attached to each motor. The Walkera HM 53#1 doesn't have this feature which is actually dangerous to the longevity of the motors. The problem is that when you are in the air, a thermal shut down will cause your motors to shut down and your heli will stop in mid air and you'll end up spending more money on spare parts as you crash and burn.

I have recently modified both helis with twin brushless motors and they work great. These motors stay warm after flying. No thermal shutdown since these motors are much more efficient than carbon bruhsed motors. However, the initial cost is somewhat expensive $129(USD), but you'll most likely never have to replace the brushless motors. Replacing a pair of carbon brushed motors costs about $19.00(USD). So after hald a dozen carbon brushed motor sets, your would have paid off the brushless kit and not to mention the mid-air stalls which could cause your heli to crash and spend more money on spare parts. You could cut the thermo fuse off, but still risk damage to the motors as over heating will lesson the longevity of the carbon brushed motors. Too much hassle. The carbon brushed motors are good for about a dozen flights before replacing. So do the math, it's cheaper to get a brushless motor system immediately after buying your co-axial heli.

I prefer working with the E-Sky BIG Lama as there is more room to place the ESC and wires inside the canopy. Below is a video of the recently modified E-Sky BIG Lama w/twin brushless motors. I also modified the heli with better blades and a standard LIPO battery tray.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJArY1GMUDo[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75871.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1198569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37457.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1198570  
Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
rschoi_75

hey dchin62973 could you elaborate on how to install dual brushless on a co-axial... I'm new to the heli thing. Is there a dual bl motor esc available or are you using 2 separate esc's?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:25 PM
klaze

Blade "clack" is a problem.. do research on that...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:42 PM
dchin62973

I wish there was a dual ESC available.  There isn't.  you have to solder the two ESC's with one connecting to the "A" motor and then the "B" motor.  Then you need a dual signal converter that converts inntegrated 4-in-1 signals to ESC type signals.