Notices
Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. Discuss Walkera Dragonfly Helis and any Walkera products in this forum

5G6-1 Short Flight Times

Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5G6-1 Short Flight Times

After about 18 months of flying, I decided my short flight times were from tired motors. I replaced them and quickly discovered how touchy the gear mesh is. If one motor has more load on it than the other, it will spin in the direction of the more powerful motor. I'm still plagued with short flight times. When charged, my one stock and 4 Zippies have just over 4.0V. It flies great, but for no more than 20 to 30 seconds and then it just runs out of steam. I've really loved this heli for Winter indoor flying, but it seems like it's being phased out with parts getting harder to find. What can I try? I really don't want to just shelve it. I have micro Dean's on the different parts, so, I don't think it's a bad connection.[]
Old 04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Rhubear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 5G6-1 Short Flight Times

Hi, Ihave the exact same heli - the Walkera 5G6-1.

I haven't had it very long; much shorter than 1 year. I've just had the heli "repaired"by the shop Ibought it at..... the shop decided to replace almost all the parts - the motors, the receiver, (the skid). Ialso had 3 new batteries because of possibly over-discharging the batteries.

The batteries are brand new, the receiver &motors brand new, but STILLIhave the same SHORT flight times as Ihad before Isubmitted the heli for repair.

The flight time I'm getting is about 15-30 seconds.... no time at all really! I'm not even trying to be energetic when flying the heli merely hovering the heli!

I've read on the internet (somewhere - this forum?) that some people have put the 5#6 motor onto the 5G6, or put a heat sink onto the motors. Iwonder if these changes would help at all?

Idoubt whether motor heat sinks would help, since the motors on my heli are not yet "heated" or "over heated" when I've got flight problems.

I do therefore really wonder whether the 5#6 motors would help? Is the std motor on the 5G6 the problem?

Do most/all 5G6-1 owners have the same problems as myself?

I just found out today that Walkera seems to be Chinese based. That puts them way down from my perspective; China is not known for quality! I'm thinking about dumping this Walkera for the Blade CX2 or similar.

Any feedback or help?
Old 04-22-2010, 04:03 PM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: Rhubear

I just found out today that Walkera seems to be Chinese based. That puts them way down from my perspective; China is not known for quality! I'm thinking about dumping this Walkera for the Blade CX2 or similar.

Any feedback or help?
Believe it or not, in this "class" there is practically NOheli that does not come from (ie. is NOTmanufactured) in China ... even a Blade CX is a "chinese" heli at the end of the day. So don't kid yourself into thinking that if you buy american marketing you will also buy american parts ... that would be a big mistake ...

oh, and btw, I never had this problem with my 5G6's (and Ihave two of them - both ordered directly in china a long time ago)

Sven

Old 04-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Rhubear

Let me clarify. Ican imagine that most or all heli parts are manufactured in China..... Most of _anything_ seems to be manufactured there.

Iwas referring to Walkera being Headquartered there. If you go to www.walkera.com, the site, although in English, is very Chinese centric.... Chinese subtitles (I assume its Chinese), and Google's lists it as "Walkera China".

Igather from fellow RC Heli enthusiasts that E-flite (Blades) and Align (T-Rex) are quite popular. Just looked up Align Isee they're Taiwanese! I thought they might be UKor American! LOL E-Flight Isee if American.

Anyway, if Ican't sort out my Walkera problems, I will probably be adding a CX model to my collection! I've already organised to buy a 2nd hand Blade 400 for outdoor flying. Good luck to me with this Walkera!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
rotor wash

I had this problem with my 5g6, change the motors thinking they were bad, solved the problem for three flights then short flights returned. The motors are hot even with heatsinks, decided to replace all of the bearings,this solved my short flight times, i'm back to normal flight times and cool running motor temps. Don't know if this will help or if this is your problem but it solved mine.

Take care,
Richard
Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Rhubear

Thanks for that feedback. I've found others on this forum that have found the same..... now just have to figure out how to change the bearings on the 5G6! (where they are/how to change).

Is there any written info on a 5G6 maintenance, or just have learn/wing it??
Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 AM
kodak_jack

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There isn't a decent owner's manual let alone a repair manual. It has to be intuitive or you'll go broke taking it somewhere to have someone else fix it. Replacing bearings is a matter of pushing out the old ones and pressing in the new ones. In the case of a bearing being into a "blind" hole, where it cannot be pushed out the opposite side, you'll have to get to it the best you can from the opposite side and tap it out using a piece of rod, a Phillips head screwdriver, etc. If you are installing a new bearing, you don't have to be as worried about messing up the old one, just get it out of there.
It's hard to believe that a bearing that is less than pristine would cause enough drag on a tiny heli like this to shorten flight times. As I said, I replaced my motors and they no longer get hot. They aren't running long enough to get hot!!
I have 1 stock and 4 Zippies that all act the same. They are only taking 10 to 15 minutes to charge after one of the short hops. I'm reading just over 4 volts when charged and about the same after the heli stops running. If the motors aren't getting hot and the batteries are still pretty much charged, what's causing the heli to stop lifting?
In changing the bearings, are they verified to be bad or is the process of changing the bearings, essentially tearing the heli down, causing something else to be corrected and the problem goes away?
I absolutely love flying this heli inside during the loooooooong Winter months and, on a calm day, it holds its own outside too, BUT, it's a heli that has been phased out and the heli and parts are getting harder to find. If I can't get it fixed without spending a small fortune on it, it'll be shelved. I asked this on another forum, but are there guys out there who have a variety of coax's and might be able to find compatible parts that work? I don't know if they will work, but mcx motors are $20/ pair. A guy on RCGroups put 4#3b motors in his, but these are not easily found anymore since everybody is either not flying that heli anymore or have converted it to brushless.
FWIW, we're discussing this same problem here and on RC GROUPS.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
tippytoe

I have the same short-flight syndrome.It's a 5/6,but in good shape. I get maybe 1&1/2 mins. of normal,then it starts to lose it's tail. Control gets real 'MUSHY'. The motors do get very warm to the touch.(although I've never had motors NOT get hot on this heli) Gonna try the 4/3 motors,as it seems the other stockmotors are not available. Changed all the bearings too!!