RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Walkera Helis - Dragonfly, etc.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/walkera-helis-dragonfly-etc-405/)
-   -   WALKERA 37 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/walkera-helis-dragonfly-etc-405/4003732-walkera-37-a.html)

buacc 03-07-2006 01:25 PM

WALKERA 37

Just found a website sell this Heli.
They said it has build-in ESC, improved electronic parts,
and it is enhance version of walkera 36.

But i think it seems more close to walkera 60.

Anyone have it?

bidou 03-08-2006 08:00 PM

RE: WALKERA 37

Walkera 37 is basically an improvement of walkera 36,

- belt-driven tail rotor same as 36
- main rotor head is now true CCPM with 3 * 120° servos
- electronic is the same except (maybe) new gyro with avcs and improved transmitter

DEFLYER22 03-13-2006 03:27 AM

If you like the No. 37, I think you should consider the No. 60 - very good and stable helicopter after test fly.
[link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/index.php]You can check the demo flying movie of the No. 60[/link]

armycopter 03-21-2006 07:05 PM

This thread isn't getting much use... however, I'd love to see more users who own the 37 start posting any issues they're having with the bird - Good and Bad! I just bought one today, although it has not arrived yet, I'd love to hear what's going on with One of Walkeras newest models....

HP03 BlackHawk 03-21-2006 11:23 PM

Has anyone noticed that the 37 has a metal main frame? I guess that explains it's 640g weight...:eek:

armycopter 03-22-2006 07:45 AM

The manual says it's a metal mainframe, but I haven't seen any other online literature stating that it has a metal main frame. I think the 640g weight is with the battery. All the pix look like the frame is plastic but who knows...

HP03 BlackHawk 03-22-2006 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The #37's manual says "All-up Weight: 640g (Battery included)", that's 60g heavier than the "All-up Weight: 580g (Battery included)" listed in the #36's manual. But after looking at it closer I think your right, it's not metal but I noticed one thing...it's not really an improved #36, it's completely different...with CCPM it has a solid main shaft, the rx is mounted in a different location, the rotor head is like the #59 & #60, and check out the new dual ball bearing hinged tail pitch slider that also has a metal ball link instead of a pin on the bottom. The whole helicopter appears to be completely refined.... Also one of the best things about it I found was a 'Buy it Now' price of only $130+$40 shipping&handling on ebay.... I'm impressed....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walkera-37-New-v...QQcmdZViewItem

armycopter 03-22-2006 03:21 PM

Blackhawk-

That's the one I bought! They said it will ship tomorrow morning out of TX. Should get it sometime next week. I noticed the same thing about the 37 vs the 36. Not to mention that the 37 is larger than the 36 (overall length). I've heard it's more like the 39. I saw someone else selling one without electronics today for about the same price as the one you mentioned. Not sure how they justify that but good luck to them just the same...

-Mark

P.S. - speaking of Blackhawks, I fly them (UH-60) with the Army Guard. nice A/C.

armycopter 03-22-2006 03:24 PM

I take that back... that's not the one I bought... I paid $10 bucks more[:@]

HP03 BlackHawk 03-22-2006 04:03 PM

You only paid $10 more and being shipped from TX. not Hong Kong, that's awesome!:D

credence 03-22-2006 04:34 PM

That actually looks like a very altered copy of the X400. Frames and motor mounting look very similar, with the obvious exception that it's plastic rather than metal.

HP03 BlackHawk 03-22-2006 04:52 PM

Copy? I don't know about all that, similar maybe and just over half the cost of the ARF and it's RTF. The X400 doesn't have a metal frame does it? Also the 37 is a true eCCPM machine, the X400 has to have an upgrade for that....[>:]

credence 03-23-2006 12:11 AM

X400 is a metal frame, yes. eCCPM can be both a blessing and a curse as i'm sure some will tell you. Just about every helicopter Walkera makes is a clone of another helicopter. In some cases, like the #37 here, they'll alter existing designs with their own implementations.

The #37 looks like the bottom base frame of the X400 with a modified top frame for the eCCPM mixing and gyro mounting. The rotorhead is also quite interesting, looks like a really strange mix of the Blade head with the X400 head.

I'd be really interested in finding out how it flies.

One thing I notice is the very poor placement of the tail servo. At the front of the frame with the big ugly control rod. Been there with other helicopters and had nothing but trouble. If someone does get this, you might want to look into a tail mount servo, they offer much better precision and less slop in tail control. (not to mention a cleaner looking setup).

armycopter 03-23-2006 03:29 PM

Any recommendations on what size lipo this bird should use? I'm assuming 11.1V but how about mah and C rating? I've got a 7.4 lipo for my DF4 along with an esky balance charger that will charge both 7.4 and 11.1 so I'm hoping to use this charger rather than buy a new one. I doubt the 7.4, 1800mah, 10C lipo for my DF4 will work with the 37.

Any thoughts??

credence 03-23-2006 03:47 PM

Probably not, by the looks of it, you're gonna be looking at 1800+ mAH at 11.1

HP03 BlackHawk 03-24-2006 09:52 PM

There's no way that heli will lift off with only 7.4v. Credence it right, you will probably need at least an 11.1v 1800mAH to be happy with a minimum continuous discharge rate of at least 10-12C and preferably a 15C or better continuos discharge rate to keep the heat down but you may want to shop around because it's hard to find one of those minimum specs that's not either too expensive or too heavy. I like the Thunder Power Pro-Lite 3s2100 pack. And if you are going to run the stock brushed motor weight will be critical issue. I ran a Thunder Power Gen2 2100 3S (147.5g) in a Shogun a while back which is some what lighter than this heli with both brushed(RS380) and brushless motor and with the RS380 motor it felt heavy, the motor was being overworked and got real hot no matter how I set the pitch, the battery heated up, and had considerably less flight time as well as not really having enough power to do anything fun, and as far as adding something else like a camera w/seperate 9v power supply to the heli this was out of the question without the brushless motor. If you consider a brushless motor as well you may want to use one of the more powerful 28mm diameter designs like used by most T-Rex owners and used on the Walkera 36(when a brushless motor is installed from factory)as apposed the 20mm diameter designs that's popular with Zoom/Shogun owners.

armycopter 03-25-2006 08:15 AM

Is 20mm the overall length of the motor? Can you recommend specs for the brushless motor you mentioned above? Make/model etc/ along with the esc. Also, where to get them. I do want to upgrade to the brushless main motor and esc soon after it arrives, but I do not want to buy the walkera product. From everything i have seen in the forums, they die, burn up, smoke, etc. I want a quality motor that will last a long time and provide plenty of power...

HP03 BlackHawk 03-25-2006 02:00 PM

I'm sorry, I failed to mention that it was the diameter I was referring to. Here's one I plan to purchase from xmseller on ebay-Highly recommended seller-I've purchased several items from xmseller and received all within 3 days, also he will answer any questions usually within 10mins:

http://cgi.ebay.com/T-REX-450-400-RC...QQcmdZViewItem

Here's a link to a page with specs, reviews, and test results of several different motors including the one I'm currently using(Mega Power 400L) which is a 20mm design that I believe don't impress me (because of a rough or grinding feel when turning the shaft by hand, excessive shaft end-play, and feels like it just lacks the power to lift much more weight than I'm running) as well the one mentioned above from xmseller will: http://www.trextuning.com/motors.php
If you haven't already seen this site you can click "ESCs" on the left to view there reviews of some of the best ESCs out there.

stents3 03-25-2006 10:53 PM

Hi Guys I'm new here,but I could'nt help help but to jump in on the Walkera 37.I received mine about 2 days ago(by the way,it came from China,not Texas) It looks half way decent as far as build quality,but the electronics are a night mare.It's a good thing I removed the blades before I even tried it,I would have lost my hand. I checked everything before I" flipped the switch" everything by the book (which is bad by any standards) I think they need better translators.Anyway,xtmitter throttle all the way down,mode switch set in up position.Turned on the xtmitter,Plugged in the battery pack,waited for the gyro to initialize and this thing went full bore. Even bringing the throttle up only slowed it down,but did'nt stop it.I quickly unplugged the battery pack to stop it.Now obviously I had reversed something.I've spent the last couple of days trying to figure out why it does this.There was a point were the rudder servo would'nt respond only to start again the next time I plugged the battery pack in. At this point I figure it must be faulty electronics(gyro,receiver,xtmiter what ever) It's a good thing I bought it from Brian at "Rc Helicopter Plane Car World" in Texas. He has given me full support in trying to solve what ever is wrong and now agrees that it is the electronics. He is having the factory in China send a new W37 at no cost to me and I am in turn sending this one back to an address in "States". I'll jump back in here again as soon as I receive the "New" W37 and let you all know how it turned out.As I said before,it looks to be fairly well built with some nice features.I just hope the R/C system turns out better,I've grown accustomed to having all my fingers.

HP03 BlackHawk 03-26-2006 12:27 AM

Moving the #3 dip switch on the back of the transmitter to reverse the throttle had no effect?

armycopter 03-26-2006 08:40 AM

Okay, now I'm a bit nervous. I bought mine from Brian at "RC Helicopter Airplane Car World" too. I "assumed" it was coming from Texas (vs. China) because the item location stated "Ft. Worth, TX" I hope it is coming from Brians warehouse and he checks the heli's before sending them out. I'm hoping to see it arrive near the end of this coming week.

But thanks for the heads up anyway... I think I'll remove the blades before trying anything as well! It just makes it easier to fly when you have all your digits (fingers)[sm=thumbup.gif]

HP03 BlackHawk 03-26-2006 04:28 PM

You may want to check your tail servo wires for damage, stents3 told me that there was a metal clip holding his tail servo wires that had cut in to them and possibly shorted the servo. Also if your throttle is reversed like his try switching the #3 dip switch on the back of the transmitter to see if it will solve the problem. You have to turn the transmitter off to switch it or it may not take effect until you do...Good Luck ;)

armycopter 03-26-2006 04:57 PM

ORIGINAL: HP03 BlackHawk

You may want to check your tail servo wires for damage, stents3 told me that there was a metal clip holding his tail servo wires that had cut in to them and possibly shorted the servo. Also if your throttle is reversed like his try switching the #3 dip switch on the back of the transmitter to see if it will solve the problem. You have to turn the transmitter off to switch it or it may not take effect until you do...Good Luck ;)
Thanks Blackhawk - I plan to do a good inspection before ever applying battery power and that looks like a good place to start. The good news is that the vendor seems willing to work with his customers so if there is a problem, I should be able to get resolution. I just wish there were others out there with experience with this model...

HP03 BlackHawk 03-26-2006 05:35 PM

Just try not to get frustrated with minor issues because we all know that frustration takes all the fun out of it. If you give it the same respect and attention you give to a real helicopter when you are at work you should have a blast with it and be an inspiration to others...[8D]

armycopter 03-26-2006 06:24 PM

Thanks for the PM, I will probably take your advice and replace the servo's anyway. I'm at that point with my DF4. They work ok, but I've noticed lately that the bird is starting to get twitchy, even when I'm sitting there at a stable hover. A couple of times, the aircraft has simply moved off on it's own and crashed. Luckily nothing too major as I have been able to kill the throttle before impact (which I hear is not something to do with a CCPM model).

I've only been doing the RC thing since last fall so I'm still pretty new too it. These forums are great places to soak up info and people like you who continue to post good info will keep me coming back for ideas.

The only bad thing about this sport is that it can get pricey... Also the wait in between destructive crashes is way too long... it would be nice if I could go down the the local hobby shop and pick up walkera parts... oh well, it won't be long... China is probably figuring out how to buy up real estate here... ;)