Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

how P47 Thunderbolts killed tigers by strafing!

Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

how P47 Thunderbolts killed tigers by strafing!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 AM
mrld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how P47 Thunderbolts killed tigers by strafing!

Actual video! Did you know P47 Thunderbolts often killed Tiger tanks BY STRAFING THEM WITH THEIR 50 CAL GUNS?
Impossible you say? Ha! Watch and see for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3Usgfhdls
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
sgtcuts
Banned

Default RE: how P47 Thunderbolts killed tigers by strafing!

That's awesome it reminds me of why the abrams tank is not the number 1 tank in the world they also need to travel with a soft skinned fuel truck for refueling so to stop an abrams may be difficult if you focus your attack on the tank itself however all you have to do is focus your attack on the trailing fuel trucks and whammy no more abrams after they run out of fuel.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
bigmalmd

Sorry but this is not correct. The German PzKw V Tiger I tank had 20mm of face-hardened armor on it's belly.....thick enough to stop any .50 caliber AP round. This myth has been around since WW2 when an USAAF general made the incorrect statement that P-47s and P-51s could destroy German tanks by ricoshaying .50 caliber rounds off of roads into the belly of the tank. Also German tanks had a quick-release lever in the turret so that the crew could jettison the fuel trailer if it ignited. The video shows the fuel trailer igniting....not the tank.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing of deflecting into the belly couldn't happen....the cal 50 would loose so much energy it would not penetrate the armored belly. However.....the 8 cal 50s of the p-47 all alligned hammering the top of the turret of engine deck with AP-I would have a definate effect and most likely stop the Tiger. Russian IL-2 stormoviks used the top attack and took out hunreds of German tanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:35 PM
bigmalmd

According to my references the IL-2 Shturmovik carried 20mm or 23 mm cannons,not .50 caliber machine guns. The eight .50's of the P-47 might have scored a mobility kill on the Tiger,but it certainly would not have blown up in a fireball as seen in the video. It was the fuel trailer,not the Tiger that exploded.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:21 AM
tomhugill

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I take your little 50cals and raise you
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM
bigmalmd

To me it appears that the tanks in the video were Pzkw IVs(the most common German tank after 1943)not Tigers. American pilots were notorious for identifying all German tanks that they strafed as Tigers.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
ausf

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a great book called 'Hell Hawks' that's about a squadron of P-47s from before D-Day to the end of the war. Those guys had it tough, they flew from forward bases just behind the lines so they could immediately respond with support.

There are a few encounters with Tigers discribed. They either concentrated on the engine deck until it was knocked out, playing cat and mouse, (even between buildings, lining strafing runs with streets) or they dropped a 500 lb bomb next to it to flip it.

Generally, if a US tank column encounter or spotted a panzer, Tiger or otherwise, they called in a flight of Thunderbolts that were usually circling overhead looking for targets of opportunity.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Ronan87

Time to burst some bubbles...

The video itself say's that they often shot the fuel trailer and not the tank.
No 50 cal can penetrate a tiger or king tiger tank, anywhere except MAYBE in the grill/vent on the engin deck. This would almost never cause the tank to blow up and would just immobolize it if you are pretty lucky.
Tiger kills were often counted but in fact they were Panzer IV's with the skirts.

You are better off dropping a bomb or shooting rockets at it, that's how you kill tanks from the air.