Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Starting Hobby M1A1 Engine project NEED guidance / suggestions and a Leopard 2A6 Assembley Manual

Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Starting Hobby M1A1 Engine project NEED guidance / suggestions and a Leopard 2A6 Assembley Manual

Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM
godowar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Hobby M1A1 Engine project NEED guidance / suggestions and a Leopard 2A6 Assembley Manual

ALCON,

I am getting ready to start a Hobby Engine M1A1 project. The purpouse is to recreate the M1A1 I served on while in the 8th ID, 5/77th Armor. I have my old gunner searching for any pictures he may have to recreate the camo scheme, and nuances of the tank.

I'd like a little help from everyone here on here ... My problem is I have never made an RC before, and the last model I put together (early teens) wound up being a DANGIT! Who done it! result. IE: Came out very bad.

I have faith that I have a lot more patience, and perseverance now that Iam an adult, and supposedly more mature but my wife would tell you alldifferently.

I am going to break this into a few parts (Hull / Electronics / Turret / Glues / Tools / Cutting Techniques / Grafting Techniques / Styrene Moulding) and before each section I will have a summary of what I am trying to achive. I would like suggestions on the best course of action. Money is a factor sort of ... IE: I need to aqcuire the parts over a period of time. But I will probably have the money to have all of the equipment ineed by the end of Febuary. (work bonus + taxes).

I would like the satisfaction of doing it all myself (except the paintjob) which I will be contracting someone to perform for me.

Mission: Buy 2x Hobby Engine Tanks (1 for practice 1 for final mods). Upgrade 1 tank to be as accurate to A13 as possible.

The practice tank to perfect my cutting / glueing technique will be a Hobby Engine M1A2,which will also have spare parts should I screw something up, and just so happends to have the turret fluff (ammo boxes, ruck-sacks, duffel bags) I need.

The final M1A1 I hope to have will containthe following features:
MetalTracks
MetalSuspension to include track tensioner (Leopard 2A6 style)
Betterand accurate hull
360 degree Traverse via Tamiya Turret Traverse system for the Leopard 2A6
Tamiya Guntube mounting + elevation + recoil system
Functioning headlights and tailights
El Mod control, and sound systemsystem.
2 batteries for runtime, a charge port
functioning hatches to include drivers hatch
Rainbow TTS sight glass
Glass hatch windows (TC / Driver)
Upgraded Main Gun (metal) with Elevation, recoil, and tamiya stabilizer
Upgraded Coax Tube (Drill old one out, insert copper/brass tube)
Either shoot airsoft BB's, or have a high intensity main gun flash led
Install a laser pointer into the coax tube.

Ok ... Laundry list I know ... But when the project is done, it will be one sweet ride!!!

Feel free to offer any suggestions, and/or critisicm (I do have a thick skin after 13yrs of marriage).

I have been shopping around for the tanks (Obviously I should have them first before I start) but they are currently unavailable in the United States. But a couple of vendors assure me they will be in by the 2nd week of December. Hopefully it will be the NEWrevision Hobby Engine tanks, and not the last edition.

So I am planning and identifying the parts list.
But ... This is where I also need help, finding what Ineed.And coming up with a partslist.
A Tamiya Leopard 2A6 Assembly manual would go a long way to helping me identify the suspension pieces parts that I will need, and might help me curb the cost a little by ordering some parts directly from Tamiya USA.

That's it for this post:

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR

Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
godowar

Default RE: Starting Hobby M1A1 Engine project NEED guidance / suggestions and a Leopard 2A6 Assembley Manual

HULL

For the Hull I have a few options:

1) Use existing Hull + re-inforce
2) Fabricate my own with Styrene or Metal
3) Purchase the AFV -or- Tanzone Hobby Engine hull upgrade.

My thoughts:

Reference option 1) The existing Hobby Engine hull is innacurate (the front slope is flat), and should be the same angle as what you see of the front skirt. This would need to be fixed. IE: I'd have to cut the old front hull off, and epoxy a sheet of styrene into it's place. Then I would need to brace the rear section for 3:1 metal gears.
Requires cutting existing hull, and buying all of the metal roadwheels, torsion bars, track tensioner, bearings.
In my opinion this is the hardest challenge. For cutting, and determening all the individual suspension parts Ineed.

Reference option 2) I think I can fabricate my own Styrene Hull and be happier with the results than using the existing hull, but Iam not sure how to create a smooth bend in the styrene for the lower hill and rear section.
I would cut apart one of the tanks hulls to create the form/patterns I need to cut in the sheets of Styrene.
In my opinion this is the middle of the roadoption, as I will be working sheets of styrene that I can precut, and bend to a template. But Istill have to get all the peices parts of a suspension together.

I have already figured out how to recreate the bend I need for the rear hull (wooden form + styrene + heatgun).

Reference option 3) Purchasing the AFV -or- Tankzone hull, but both companiesare not being very responsive to email inquiries.
Im my opinion this will be the easiest route, albiet most expensive. This is the option Iam leaning towards, but Ineed replies from the dang companies before I can move forward. Grrr!

Thoughts comments suggestions?
If anyone is industrious enough and can come up with a parts list of all the suspension pieces and a link to the items I need I might lean towards Option 2). But without a Leopard 2A6 manual I can't figure out all the items I need.

Also can anyone suggest what glue/epoxy I should use for this stage?

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR

Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM
godowar

Default RE: Starting Hobby M1A1 Engine project NEED guidance / suggestions and a Leopard 2A6 Assembley Manual

ELECTRONICS:

I will probably be ordering El Mod (eco) from Phil at RCTANKWARS.
But Iwant to be sure it will be reboust enough to:

Only light the brake lights when stopped.
Only turn on the headlights when toggled.
Capable of (Machine gun firing sound, Main Gun firing sound, Engine Starting, Engine under power, tracksqueek/rattle, Turret Traverse sound, and gun elevation sound.)
Turret Traverse
Main Gun Elevation
Independant Track Control
Main Gun Stabilization
Main Gun Recoil

A few parts I know I need:
Tamiya LEO Gun Stabilization unit
Tamiya LEO Main Gun Elevation Unit
Tamiya LEO Recoil Unit
Tamiya LEO Turret traverse motor
Tamiya LEO TurretTraverse Ring
Tamiya LEO Turret Traverse recepticle (upper hull) (need to cut thisout as seen on the DAK Armor site.
Electronic Slip Ring (to achieve 360 degree traverse)

Can Anyone suggest howto make a charge port so I don't have to crack open the hull?
Maybe even a battery chargelevel indicatior hiddenin a sponson box / turretstowage box?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM
godowar

TURRET:

I need to address inaccuracies, and make the turret traverse 360.

As listed above:
I will need to graft the Tamiya LEOUpper Hull, TurretTraverse recepticle onto the Hobby Engine upper hull plate. Then I need tograft the TamiyaLeo Turret Traverseringonto the turret, install themain gun mount, elevation motor, recoil motor, metal guntube, metal coaxial tube, laser pointer, airsoft bb unit, traverse motor.

Cut and grind off the commanders cupola, and loaders hatch, and replace with ChunWai metal ones.
Cut off innacurate scale smoke grenade launchers
Cut some brass rod to eventually improve the bussel racks and eventually fabricate true turret stowage boxes
Cut open theammo blast plates for access to turret electronics.

Does anyone have part numbers for the Tamiya LEO parts I will need for this?
They are listed in the ELECTRONICsection.

Recommended cutting tool?
Recommended Epoxy?
Recommended Filler for the grafting part?
It was suggested to use a wire/rope saw ... Can anyone suggest aplaceto buy this?

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR

Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM
godowar

GLUES:

Can anyone suggest for theover all project the following:

Glue (Make / vendor / link)
Epoxy (make / endor / link)
Putty / Filler (make / vendor / link)

Any thinner / acetate or anything else that is chemical related that will assist with the project. I saw a method of using an acetate type accelerator to soften the styrene to make it more moldable ...

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM
godowar

TOOLS:

This is what Iknow I need:

Exacto Knife
Exacto Chisel
Dremmel
Sand Paper
Needle Nose Pliers
A pair of cutting dykes (wire cutters)
Heat Gun
Round File
Flat File
Screw Drivers

Can anyone think of anything else?

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR

Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
godowar

CUTTINGTECHNIQUES:

Whether it is scoring repeatedly with the exacto knife, cutting with a hacksaw, or using a wire/rope saw, please offer suggestions insight, and post any linksto videos or picturesthat might help.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM
godowar

GRAFTINGTECHNIQUES:

Any suggestions here, tutorials, pictures, or Video's for this process will be greatly appreciated.

What would be the best glue to use for the grafting? (Plastic to plastic)
What will be the best glue to use to bond the metal parts to plastic?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
godowar

POLYSTYRENE:

Working with polystyrene techniques?

Cutting?
Bending?
Moulding?

Any suggestions here, tutorials, pictures, and videos will be helpfull.

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR

Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
godowar

MISC:

I plan on ordering the following from Chun Wai:
Metal Grenade Launcher (proper scale) Left and Right side.
TC hatch x1
Loaders Hatch x1
Drivers lightBrush Guards x2
Gas Caps X2
Hull Lift point brackets X2

Possibly Driver headlight Assemblies as well

Somewhere on here Isaw a post where somone identified where to get some rainbow reflective glass from an electronic device, but Ican't find the post again. I'd like to use this glass for the TTS Sight.

Then any ideas on what/where to get glass to insert into the TC's cupola, and the Drivers hatch to represent the vision blocks?

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR
Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
godowar

There you have it ... My whole project. Once Iget the tanks, and Ihope it is this revision of the Hobby Engine http://www.carson-modelsport.com/en/...rtNr=500406021, I will get started and start posting pictures of the project.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Green Amphibian

The Tamyia website should have a copy of the build instructions available to download. I use gap filling cyanoacrylate and Testors plastic cement as appropriate. The El-Mod system from Phil will do what you need also. Cutting plastic can be done by using cotton thread. Drill a small hole to start your thread in. Hold thread tight with both hands and pull back and forth where you want the cut. Really works well, but practice first and have a lot of thread available because it breaks easily also. It gives a small kerff and excellent maneuverability around hatch hinges etc. Happy Modeling!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 PM
bigford

buy a 2a6 build the lower hull then mount the abrams upper hull to that.
i was going to buy the tankzone hull but was told by phil @ rctankwar
that its not so great for the price.

i bought tamiya panther gearboxs, tamiya leo sprockets and tracks
road wheel spacers from panther g on here. (swing arms kinda worrie me)

the turret is held on to the hull with 3 screws in a ring with the wires passing through
it. in the gear ring is a v wedge that stops full 360* cut off the wedge and
the turret will go 360* untill the wires snap.. buy a slip ring for this

The front slope is only off a little bit i think some plastic and filler will
work better then cutting and reshaping hull. now the rear of the hull is wacked
the engine grills look small & odd.

the TTS Sight is red clear plastic that pops out with a screw ez fix
T/C vision blocks are harder unless the metal one is better made then stock
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
vett guy

good luck youve only built one model ever?your going to have a small fortiourn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   mano man  ask dr phil    mark
Old 12-08-2011, 03:34 PM
godowar

Ihave made plenty of models. I just didn't have the patience at the time to do it right (Early Teens), also at the time I was under the young never taugh modelerthought process that more glue meantbetter!

Now that Iam older, and I would hope ... Wiser ... Ihave a base knowledge, and know modeling is not about immediate results, it is about creativity, and patience. Ialso now know that more glue is not better. But again Iwas young and dumb, and full of ... crap!

War and Peace,
GoDOWaR

P.S. Ialso know that by the time Iam done this will approach, maybe even exceed the costof a brand new Tamiya Leopard 2A6.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 AM
vett guy

yea man youve got the right attude.lokk at the sherman flayal mine tank one 1st page of r/c tanks just goesa to show that anything can be done .with the will to do itg.that guy is a tank god..well good luck should be one very cool tank a one off.and a thing to be proud of o some thimesair craft ply wood and basal can be used withgo results.say motor mounts.micro ballons can renfoce fom safe med supper glue.some of that is not standard tank constucitonbu always be ready to think out side the box .