Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

wonder how Helicopters would have turned WWII

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

wonder how Helicopters would have turned WWII

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM
aashu
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wonder how Helicopters would have turned WWII

I always wonder when I watch some documentry on WWII , how it would have turned out if Allied forces had some helicopter support those days .

Do you think that something like a Huey during those times would have ended the war early and saved millions ?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: wonder how Helicopters would have turned WWII

Hi Aashu
You mean rather than just the Germans having them? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SrUyNG4fYA 

Mal
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 PM
aashu
My Feedback: (6)

Oh wow. I did not know Germens ever used them in war..
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I think an expanded battlefield is in the near future, using modern equipment like AFV's, static firing positions and even soldiers too.

Of course, this would all have to take place outside as helicopters and aircraft would roam freely. The battlefield would have to have artificial as well as natural cover, hilly landscapes and even water features.

You can tell I have been giving this a lot of thought. LOL

~ Jeff
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
1320Fastback

A modern day Huey absolutely would of made a difference, even one from the 60's.

I doubt that with the technology of the time a helicopter would of changed much of anything.
The ones in the video show it carrying something in a sling but no rockets or door gunner and without some kind of gun sling you would never hit anything from it anyways.

At most I think it could bring food to the front (if they had any) and ammunition.
As a spotter it could of provided information about troop movements but don't know if they would risk them or how durable they would be to gunfire.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think they where used by some u boats as spotters but I'm not 100% on that
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
bigmalmd

IMO having helicopers like the UH-1 Huey would have only had a minor inpact on WWII. It is not only the hardware that makes an impact on warfare but also the doctrine of how to use the hardware.The Air Mobile doctrine of transporting soldiers to and from the battlefield was not conceived until the early 1960s and tested in 1966 with the U.S.Army's 1st Air Cavalry in Vietnam. This was over twenty years after the end of WWII.Also modern turbine helicopers like the UH-1 require a great deal of maintenance,and without trained mechanics I believe that the UH-1 and other more modern helos would have been grounded as "hanger queens".