Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Which one Why or Why Not

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:45 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which one Why or Why Not

For some reason I have been looking at buying a R/C Tank. Only thing I know about a model tank is I built one when I was around 10-12 yrs old and that was a long time ago. On Amazon I have seen several in the 1/16th scale from the Sherman to King Tiger and many with upgraded metal tracks and road wheels. So my question is what brand to stay away from, I don't want to drop upward to $200 or more and have to spend another $100 or so to get it up and working. Trusting in the knowledge of members here on RCU. and so far I've never been steered wrong.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
thecommander

For the budget I would recommend the Tiagen tanks from Erik and his company IMEX. http://www.imex-model.com/

I do Tamiya IR(Infrared) tank battle, but I started with Heng Long airsoft BB tanks many years ago. HL Quality has improved but Taigen is much better. If you are not busy next weekend come to Danville VA for the Tank battles and you will see all manner of RC tanks form every known supplier and builder plus many customs. Eventually you will want a Tamiya tank as they are the gold standard of 1/16 tanks. Tiagen is a great place to start. LOL...Tell Erik Bob from NEAD sent you.

Last edited by thecommander; 05-07-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock electronics in a Taigen or Heng Long are the same so for that reason for a first tank I would stay stick to the cheaper HL, and still stay within the budget you have mentioned.

Taigen are basically Heng Long tanks packed with asiatam upgrades, and of course these metal parts add on to the purchase price, exceeding your budget on things that aren't going to make the tank any more reliable, However Erik has earned a reputation of supplying great support if you should have trouble with your purchase so there is a value one needs to place on that. From what I have seen he offers the very best Stateside support on the HL based Taigen tanks. For someone starting out this might be a factor in your decision.

This forum is full of people who know their way around these tanks, and I don't think in all my years here, has there ever been an instance where a solution to a problem was not found. So this Forum is a great resource.

Also the 2.4 ghz electronics in Taigen tanks( any of the chinesse based 2.4 ghz systems) cannot be upgraded to Tamiya standard battle system, or sound effects. People have been ordering DBC3 and sound for their Taigen tanks, and I have to end up selling them an RX 18 or telling them to get a Clark board, and swap out the electronics.( $90-100)

So you need to think were you want to end up. A stock Heng Long with an RX 18 is cheap, and the $70 plug and play DBC3 gets you completely Tamiya compatible, allows you to use a hobby grade transmitter, adds momentum and blocks the severe track recoil these stock tanks have. It has also been programmed to be an Benedini encoder, so allows you to add Benedini sound at a later date if you want.

So yes I have a dog in the hunt because I sell the DBC3, but I am telling you the facts you need to know before you make the purchase, as there is much to consider, The closed architecture of these cheap 2.4 ghz systems is very limiting.

Last edited by YHR; 05-10-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:31 PM
thecommander

Sorry Dan. You are quite right I did forget to mention the DBU in my reply for this thread. I have two DBU tanks...both KV1s "Walkers210".

I also used Steve's (AKA Shenlonco) Walker bulldog at Danville in 2010. They both did very well and I am bringing a KV to Danville again later this week. The DBUs are very close to Tamiya in function and reliability. Dan does fine work.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's still camera card Tanks  10-29-10 008.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	669.5 KB
ID:	1994791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's still camera card Tanks  10-29-10 009.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	717.2 KB
ID:	1994792   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's still camera card Tanks  10-29-10 010.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	702.5 KB