Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Where are the Tank Clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 04:00 AM
UnterOffizier Braun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where are the Tank Clubs?

I would be very interested in starting a remote control tank club in Eastern PA, New Jersey and Delaware. I have organizational experience with WW II reenacting, model building etc. Basically I am a life long hobbyist since I was about 8, in 1972.

I only discovered the Hobby of Remote Control Tanks eight months ago. With six tanks and counting I am loving it. I cannot locate a tank club near me just North of Philadelphia in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. There used to be a B.A.D.A.S.S. tank club in Bucks County but I can find no trace of it today.

1) Is anyone interested in establishing a new Club in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area?
2) Does anyone have knowledge of what happened to the BADASS club.
3) Is Danville, Virginia the only option on the East Coast? It is about 6-8 hours away from me.

Recently retired, I have the time and energy to make this happen.

Any response or input

would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,
Unteroffizer Braun
7./GR (mot.) GD USA

Old 05-08-2023, 08:23 AM
PlasticArmor

Hello Unteroffizor Braun,

There were several RC tank groups in PA and New Jersey but by the time I got into the hobby around 2018 they were all completely gone. The only clubs I can find are in Florida the South or the midwest west and Texas. The North-East Coast does not seem to have anything related to RC tanks most people here do the rock crawlers, airplanes, or earth movers. The RC tanks and clubs seem to have mostly disappeared by 2018 when I visited several RC stores and looked around and around couldn't find anything, I wish knew why, I guess people just lost interest or moved on. Too bad your post has been ignored wish I saw this earlier.

I've seen a little bit of interest but the biggest problem is that people just dont know whats available and where to buy RC tanks and there needs to be a more established RC tank group. These days there are more options available and new brands like TongDe or slightly older brands like Henglong and Torro that are filling the middle tier of the market with affordable but realistic RC tanks around the 120-200 dollar range and can be easily upgraded and customized. Compared to the older crazy expensive Tamiya stuff the newer RC tanks from China have really lowered the entry cost to RC tanks and I hope that gets more people interested in the hobby whether they are interested in WW2, Cold war, or modern era tanks their are more variety of options for people with different sized budgets. None of us have Tamyia because those tanks are too expensive.

Every January there is an event in Lebanon PA called Cabin Fever - Model Engineering Expo and they have a huge area for RC. Its mostly RC construction trucks and tractor trailers which are really cool but some friends and I have been bringing 1/16 scale tanks to the event for the last few years and if we can get enough people to have a more organized group we can have an established battlefield at the event. I've also tried recently to get an RC tank battle field at the WW2 Weekend event at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Reading PA but unfortunately got no interest and those who had interest were living in florida and didn't want to drive all the way to PA.

Several friends and I want to starting an RC tank group called the "Tri-State Armored Division" based in Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Southern New Jersey. If you are interested in helping us I've sent you an DM.

PlasticArmor
Old 05-09-2023, 08:12 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the Southwest United States, there are not just a few active tank clubs that hold public R/C tank battles regularly, but many. We have more clubs per square mile and more battles per year than anywhere else in the world.

My club is L.A. Tank, and we put on monthly battles the second Saturday of each month at the American Tank Museum in South El Monte CA. It is an urban battlefield. Lots of point blank engagements that negate most sit and snipe strategies. Work as a team, or else. LA Tank club has average attendance of 25 tankers (with tanks) every month. We've been in the monthly RC tank battle business for over 10 years.

Next up would be the Desert Armor Korps in Phoenix Arizona. They hold about 6 battles per year (every year since 2006) and are famous for a mixed range battlefield (balance of long engagement ranges vs. shorter ones). More important is their legendary real desert battlefield that can be more dangerous to a tank than the enemy tanks at times. Drive first, fight second or your tank will soon be disabled by the field.

Next would be the Irvine RC Tank Club in Irvine, CA. The newest club, but holding several battles per year, and they have robust attendance at their tank battles and they battle in the park. Very family friendly!

Next is the San Diego RC Tank Battles Club in San Diego, CA which specializes in innovative rules of engagement and open country (on their vast beach side battlefield (100 yards x 100 yards minimum)) tactics. Simply a huge battlefield. To survive long, you will need a competitive tank that can achieve consistent IR hits on targets at 50 yards and beyond.

Next is Texas Armor Association. Located in Texas, they've been around for many years and hold several tank battles per year.

Las on the list is a tank club that has been around for many years, but is currently reconstituting. Front Range Armor Group (F.R.A.G.) is in the Denver, CO area, and when active hosts several battles per year. Of particular note, FRAG has the MOST lifelike battlefield props anywhere. Battling there is like stepping back in time to 1943.

Special mention goes to the San Francisco tankers of the Bay Area Tankers club (BAT)(now closed) . For those who don't know, BAT helped start the 1/16 RC Tank battling hobby when, Mr. Tamiya visited their club to observe one of their tank meets, and BAT members convinced Tamiya to build the first 1/16 scale IR battle system in back in the 1990's.

Last edited by Jeff489; 05-09-2023 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2023, 10:36 AM
UnterOffizier Braun

I would be very interested in helping to create a RC Tank Club in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and/or DE. Thank you for the private response. I am much encouraged and looking forward to further developments. Thanks Again.

Best Regards,
Logan
Old 05-09-2023, 02:25 PM
PlasticArmor

Thank you for the info on the tank clubs Jeff489. Sounds like there are some very strong ones but notice how none of them are in the North East of the United States? None...
Old 05-09-2023, 10:58 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The NE USA could use a new RC battle club. If you haven't already, I suggest you make a road trip to Danville, VA and see how RC battling fits with you before starting a club. You might learn lots about running a club and maybe meet some tankers who will support your new club.

Best tips based on my experience are:

1. Develop a plan to get and keep a core group of tankers. A "core" is probably 6 tankers at every battle. 2 v. 2 gets old quick. Random encounters on a tank battle emerge at 3 v. 3 and just get better up to about 7 v. 7.
2. Remember that each battle should be fun, and should deliver something a tanker cannot get in their own backyard. Make it a party. Give tankers a reason to leave their house and come out to play with strangers.
3. Weather will be an issue if battlefield is not indoors. If you hold battles outdoors, be flexible and creative.
4. Find a niche, and own it. Figure out what makes your club and battlefield unique when compared to others, and develop it further.
5. Consider what the focus of the club will be. Some are competitive and have lots of rules, some are for fun (think...excuse to hang out with tank buddies and drink beer), some are developmental, and cater to tank newbs, and some focus on tank building (everyone looks at what everyone built).
6. Don't forget to make sure you have fun at every battle.

Best of luck!
Old 06-03-2023, 02:48 PM
PlasticArmor

Originally Posted by UnterOffizier Braun
I would be very interested in helping to create a RC Tank Club in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and/or DE. Thank you for the private response. I am much encouraged and looking forward to further developments. Thanks Again.

Best Regards,
Logan
Did you attend WW2 Weekend in Reading PA this year?
They had about 6 or 7 life size tanks tanks on display this year.
Maybe next year if I get enough people to volunteer the Tri-state Armored Division will be able to set up an RC tank battle field exhibit at the event.
Logan, are you able to respond to the private messages I sent a few weeks ago?

Plastic Armor,
Old 06-28-2023, 05:43 PM
Tytin

Hey guys, New to the forum here but Me and a few of my friends got RC tanks we live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I recently started building a scale battlefield in my back yard (I have a ton of free space). We are also thinking about either starting or joining a club. So I would be very interested in this club you got going, and if anyone wants to come help build the battlefield and have some battles on the eastern shore let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Tytin, (Blair)
Old 07-24-2023, 07:06 AM
ScottCW

Default interested

Originally Posted by UnterOffizier Braun
I would be very interested in starting a remote control tank club in Eastern PA, New Jersey and Delaware. I have organizational experience with WW II reenacting, model building etc. Basically I am a life long hobbyist since I was about 8, in 1972.

I only discovered the Hobby of Remote Control Tanks eight months ago. With six tanks and counting I am loving it. I cannot locate a tank club near me just North of Philadelphia in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. There used to be a B.A.D.A.S.S. tank club in Bucks County but I can find no trace of it today.

1) Is anyone interested in establishing a new Club in the Philadelphia/New Jersey area?
2) Does anyone have knowledge of what happened to the BADASS club.
3) Is Danville, Virginia the only option on the East Coast? It is about 6-8 hours away from me.

Recently retired, I have the time and energy to make this happen.

Any response or input

would be most appreciated.

Best Regards,
Unteroffizer Braun
7./GR (mot.) GD USA
Hello,
I am also interested in starting an RC Tank club, I have been for quite some time. I am in Northeast Pa, but can easily get to your area. Please let me know if you are able to get a club started, I would love to help and/or participate.

ScottCW
Old 08-19-2023, 10:35 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clubs are tough. Gotta be consistant on events and such. Not sure if I'll have the time but anyone in the SE PA, NE MD, southern jersey area hit me up. Have an area to run.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:41 AM
Steinie

Default South New Jersey

I would be interested in any information regarding a RC Tank Club. I have a Heng Long 1/16 Sherman. I just started with rc tanks and loving it!
I want to also get the Panzer IV. I live in South New Jersey outside Philly.

Last edited by Steinie; 11-04-2023 at 11:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 07:16 PM
[email protected]

I have an old Tamiya King Tiger but don't use it anymore (it is pretty old) but I just got a Heng Long Leopard. I would be interested in a club that's is close by.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:54 AM
Warmachine6058

Default I Live in Eastern Tennessee

I live near Chattanooga and would be interested in a decent tank club, it seems like the Atlanta one is hosted at the Danville museum in VA that is now closed, this means I’m equally far away from both locations if they start ones there, anyone interested in a eastern Tennessee RC Tank Club? We could name it RockyTop Tankers

Last edited by Warmachine6058; 11-21-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 07:32 AM
Glinck65

Originally Posted by PlasticArmor
Did you attend WW2 Weekend in Reading PA this year?
They had about 6 or 7 life size tanks tanks on display this year.
Maybe next year if I get enough people to volunteer the Tri-state Armored Division will be able to set up an RC tank battle field exhibit at the event.
Logan, are you able to respond to the private messages I sent a few weeks ago?

Plastic Armor,
Hi me and some friends just got into rc tanks and live in the Philadelphia area and if you are still interested in the Reading WW2 weekend thing I have 4 people interested
Just let me know
Old 02-02-2024, 08:18 PM
Mister Darby

I would like to get one started in the north central Indiana area, from the north side of Indy up thru the Kokomo area. Several parks in my area in Kokomo that would be great places to battle or just drive tanks to get away from life's stresses.