Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Tiger I in Saving Private Ryan movie

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Tiger I in Saving Private Ryan movie

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 PM
pzrwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tiger I in Saving Private Ryan movie

check out this repro StugIII built by a Canadian group. I know it's short 1 rolad wheel and the track is wrong but for a repro I wouldn't mind owning it
http://www.willysacres.com/StuG3.htm
Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the movie Tiger theme, the "Tigers" are Czech made from T-54 and T-55 chassis and built up with fiberglass and sheet metal. So the track is too narrow and the they don't have interleaving wheels, but they are reliable and are, in my estimation, a very good 3/4 size tiger for the movie. Better than using US M-47s, minus the turret bussle box to represent tigers in "Battle of the Bulge", and M-41 Walker Bulldogs. Notice in two of the destroyed and burning tank scenes, that the burning tank is not the same as the one that was hit. Hollywood isn't going to burn a riunning tank...so they cut filming and switch a old junker to burn. European film makers are a lot more innovative on war movies than hollywood. Some of those Czech made Tigers are in the hands of some civilians to have fun with and some are even used in documentaries...look at some of the U tube stuff ,...look close....thery are NOT tigers....BUT, they are tunning, and do a decent representation. I'd like to have one myself, but would add some dummy outer wheels as repro interleaves. M-41, some M-24's, M-47 and M-48s are still available to movies, but I have never seen an M-60 in a movie. In "The tanks are Coming", shot at ft knox in the early 50's, an M-36B1 TD was used as a Panther, even thought the Patton Museum had a Panther and some nice Pz III's which could have been placed in a static position for the movie.

Bill

Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
pzrwest

Another note on the Battle of the Buldge movie is they painted the American tanks the tank the Americans used in German late war camo colors
Old 11-24-2007, 08:45 PM
rprcat

All hollywood tigers are built on t-34 chasis all the way back to Kelly's Hero's.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 PM
shadopilot

The Finnish movie "The Winter War" has Russian T-26 light tanks in it. I haven't watched it in a while but I'm pretty sure there are T-34's also. The 1993 German film "Stalingrad" has some T-34's and Sdkfz 251's. Very intense movie. The battle of the city is well done. Looks like they filmed it in a real bombed out city.
There's a T-34 in the new Hannible Lechter movie. I think its called "Hannible Rising"??
Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 PM
shadopilot

"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" has a very well done WW1 type tank. I don't think its made to look like any real tank though. Plus its way to fast!!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
shadopilot

Both "Sahara" movies have M3 Lee or Grant tanks.
Old one with Humphrey Bogart. New one with James Belushi. NOT the newer Mathew Mcconaughey movie.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 AM
wackywheelz

"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"
The tank was custom WW1 inspired (British Mark IV tank with Tadpole Tail), with a British-style turret from a later tank.

For those interested here is the tank from the movie:

And here it is today:

Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 AM
shadopilot

Oh!, what a shame!! I would give it a good home!!!! I promise to care and feed it.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:44 PM
CHIEFSONN

The only working Tiger 1 is in England , and the Tiger 1 from Aberdeen proven grounds is also there and should be returning soon this year .
Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 PM
googlydoogly

Actually, it's more likely that the Indian Jones tank was a copy of the Mk. VIII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_VIII_(tank)

Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of false statements on this thread let me put the record straight, The only running Tiger I is hear in England there are supposedly 2 running Tiger II 1 in France and 1 in Germany though this runs very infrequently Russia has 1 mid Tiger I, Sturmtiger, Tiger II, Ferdinand and a Jagdtiger all of these tanks are "supposed" to be in running condition though none have run in many years condition though the Sturmtiger in 1998 was missing the engine and radiators the Russians also have a VK3001P this was an experimental Tiger and was transformed into a 128mm SP "Dicker Max" there was also a late model Tiger I on a military base this had been recovered from a range near Moscow but this was stolen probably after many hands had been greased.
people keep babbling on about the so called US Tiger I from Aberdeen that was sent to Germany many years ago and is now in the hands of a private collector in England this will not be going back to the US any time soon least not in our life times.
The Tiger in "Saving Private Ryan" is a T34 this is in Duxford museum though not in good condition there where other T34's built and used in films the Russians built many for documentaries many years ago some sauces say as many as 50.
The Tiger in "Band of Brothers" is a T55 as is the Jagdpanther the Stug is converted from a FV432 the Marder is a real Marder and all the 251 half-tracks are in fact post war OT810 the T55 Tiger has stared in several documentary and will be in one or more films in the not too distant future
Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 AM
uksniper

I'm new to this site and found this thread interesting as I have had the opportunity to visit Bovington, Volgograd (Stalingrad) and a few other places along the way. There are a few inaccuracies in some of the posts without evidence to back up their claims. One of the Tigers from the movies is a T55 tank with the gap between the 1st and 2nd road wheel (see first picture). It belongs to the second battlegroup of re-enactors. They can be seen at the War and Peace Show. They also have a Stug which is made on a British Abbot chassis with an added roadwheel (see picture). http://www.warandpeaceshow.co.uk/ There are lots of pics on there that you will either love or hate. The ones in Saving Private Ryan are said to be both T-34 tanks as described on the Second Battlegroup website. They should know as they were there.

I have attached a T34 and T55 chassis picture for comparison to the Tiger 1.

The second Battlegroup can be seen at http://www.sbg1.mistral.co.uk/ they starred in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. They have also been in many documentaries.

If you want to buy your own movie prop tanks and have US$50,000 to spare visit http://www.tankride.com/Special_Sales.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25510.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	962682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19297.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	962683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54631.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	962684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15673.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	962685  
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 AM
wackywheelz

Yep, the SPR Tigers were T-34 based. Here is a good link:

http://cs.finescale.com/forums/910148/ShowPost.aspx
Old 06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
MyRcFun

I watched the movie yesterday to see how close to accurate they came to a Tiger I tank in this movie..

What I see was a horrible replica of a Tiger I..

1. The chassis was a T-34 looking tank with 6 road wheels(I think) with no interwheaving wheels..
2. The turret at first looked rigt from the distance until they showed it up close..that was horrible.. the 88mm was too small for the bore and the barrel lenght was too short and the wrong design for the 88mm. Turret was too narrow
3. tracks were way too narrow for Tiger I

over all this tank smalls like a T34 or similar tank from that time period..and you would think they would do a better job and use CGI and make a dead on replica Tiger I!
Dose anyone have any info on what these tanks are doing today?
They serve as models to build 1/16 scale tanks by a well known chinese manufacturer. So people can now get half-done toys and spend hours of tinkering and a lot of cash to make them historically accurate and that appears to be a lot of fun.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:10 AM
wackywheelz

Huh? Sorry attempt at humour?

Oh, and wouldnt half-done be better than not done at all?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 AM
rivetcounter

ORIGINAL: MyRcFun

I watched the movie yesterday to see how close to accurate they came to a Tiger I tank in this movie..

What I see was a horrible replica of a Tiger I..

1. The chassis was a T-34 looking tank with 6 road wheels(I think) with no interwheaving wheels..
2. The turret at first looked rigt from the distance until they showed it up close..that was horrible.. the 88mm was too small for the bore and the barrel lenght was too short and the wrong design for the 88mm. Turret was too narrow
3. tracks were way too narrow for Tiger I

over all this tank smalls like a T34 or similar tank from that time period..and you would think they would do a better job and use CGI and make a dead on replica Tiger I!
Dose anyone have any info on what these tanks are doing today?
They serve as models to build 1/16 scale tanks by a well known chinese manufacturer. So people can now get half-done toys and spend hours of tinkering and a lot of cash to make them historically accurate and that appears to be a lot of fun.
I think he's bang on the mark and his comment made me laugh, cant understand why people would want to waist all that time and money but still end up with a tank that isn't anywhere near accurate when they could have just gone out and bought a Tamiya in the first place suppose now we are going to have a load of people telling us how they have only had 8+ mechanical and electrical failures with there Heng Long tanks OOOPPPPSSS not supposed to criticize Heng Long
Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 AM
wackywheelz

Tamiya are great - IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY (which you, rivetcounter, have). This is the thing you're forgetting - Heng Long are great for the price, if you read carefully half the problems arise when people start tinkering and cutting corners, most are easily sorted out quickly with a bit of guidance.

You guys make me laugh anyway: One lot says HL copied Tamiya dead-on, the other lot says HL are out of scale (wouldnt that mean Tamiya was too?). LOL, it just gets me everytime. Typical "elitist" attitude.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:46 AM
rivetcounter

Don't know if there is a difference in size/scale between the two companies never bothered to measure
I wouldn't have the tanks that I have/had if I paid English prices all but one have been bought from Hong Kong at around half the price and have never had to pay any import duty nor have I been stung by any of the Hong Kong dealers postage has been around 5 days
Some Henglong owners spend as much up grading there tanks as the cost of a Tamiya so in that respect elitism doesnt really exist
I like others have to save for my hobby but the difference is I don't smoke I drink in moderation and biggest of all I live within my means apart from the mortgage I have never had a loan or credit card nor am I a high earner, £10 saved is £10 off the next tank
Old 06-04-2008, 07:03 AM
wackywheelz

As a comparison Tamiyas cost at least $515 Aus Dollars delivered (I got mine for under half of that), without radio gear, battery, paint etc, whereas an S&S HL with metal gearbox, metal tracks, metal wheels, metal suspension etc costs easily under $200. Now I'd be hard pressed to add a further $300 on top UNLESS I added Tamiya gearboxes, DMD etc. Sure some guys do spend big dollars on HLs, but thats with conversions (like YHR's awesome Stug) taking into account sheets of styrene, metal parts etc.

Most certainly know which is doing the hobby good (especially those wanting to get their feet wet, so to speak, and not be too out of pocket) in the way of new tankers, and the way its going we're getting plenty of variety between manufacturers which is great!!