Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Poor Tamiya Panther Quality

Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Poor Tamiya Panther Quality

Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Elwarpo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Poor Tamiya Panther Quality

The purpose of this post was to make Tamiya aware of the problems. I have spoken to them 3 times before the post and all I got from them was "This is the first time I have heard of this problem, so it is not an issue"

I e-mailed them with this thread link, now they are responding differently. They want me to return the whole tank, and they will replace/repair anything they feel is defective. I will be sending it to them. They were not willing to do this before. Hopefully, this will be sent to their engineering department, so others in the future will not have these issues.

Here is their e-mail to me:

"Simply return the complete tank for inspection, only defective components
will be replaced, the completed model will be returned to you with
replacement components (if the components are deemed defective)."

Again, they were not willing to do this on any of my 3 previous phone calls. I just hope they fix the problem and do not send me back the same tank with new parts that still have the same problems. If people will let them know when they have problems instead of saying "well i can live with it" or "I'll pay more money to buy an aftermarket part to fix a design flaw" they their products will be better and this type of thread would not happen. To use an example, who would buy a car, and accept flaws in it by buying parts to fix them.

If this was done for their other tanks in the past this thread may not be happening now.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM
pcomm1

Great work Elwarpo. Perhaps a better model will evolve from this thread.

The communications power of an open forum, in that it puts many "eyes" on a product issue, helped Tamiya to start to do the right customer service thing.

The Panther issues are well known amongst those who have built the kit (came as a shock, because of Tamiya's good quality rep).

Visit: http://web.mac.com/ksoc/S.C.A.T./Tec...ch_Corner.html

John
Old 09-07-2007, 04:28 PM
ksoc

Elwarpo,

Good job! Hopefully you've paved the way and will help make it easier for the next person. The kit is relatively new, but now Tamiya should step up and fix the issues. Everyone who has had issues, even if resolved by your own work, should send Tamiya an e-mail.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. If this were allowed to continue, I would find it very hard to pull $700 out of my wallet to purchase a tank that gives me so many "modelling opportunities". As I mentioned before, I can spend $80 on a Heng long and get that. When I buy a Tamiya I expect it to be much better then a Heng Long. If it isn't then guess how many Tamiyas I will buy. It is in their own interest to nip this in the bud. Heng Long are improving and their Battle system is rumored to be just around the corner.

Darkith has built a Tamiya compatible IR battle sytem(Can even use the Tamiya TBU if you want) that ties into the Heng long electronics for less then $50. Even adds momentum, so Tamiya has got to know that they are not the only game in town any more.

I am happy for you that they have changed their tune and are doing something about the problems you mentioned.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 PM
ArmChairGeneral

I want to get a Panther eventually but it is comforting to know bugs are getting worked out for us late comers. I like the fact we hear rumors of WSN, Matorro, HL releasing new tanks. This should inspire more people to enter the hobby, then more people will buy a Tamiya, and then Tamiya will come out with more tanks. We are all winners in this game
Old 09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Panther F

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to hear things worked out for you!

Jeff
Old 09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Elwarpo

Well, shipped the tank today, hopefully it will come back better than when it left.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
g.horn

Good! Keep us updated on things.

Greg
Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Elwarpo

Well just got off the phone from tamiya and the will be replacing both gearboxes and shipping it back. I hope I just had a poorly made one from the initial production run. Their customer service was good but slow (its been 6 weeks). They did not comment on any other issue but the gearboxes. Hopefully they have informed the engineering department of the failures.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:05 PM
kurtmeyer
Banned

what was wrong with the gearbox
Old 11-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Elwarpo

The aluminium was too soft and the round shaft hole is oval. You can see it in the picture earlier in the thread.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 PM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

WELL,,,, Just got my TAMIYA PANTHER... . a few of my fellow CLUB MEMBERS volunteered to assemble my tank for me and also to paint and detail it for me.... HOW NICE of them!!!!

Going to be doing it as the captured Panther "CUCKOO" [>:] Going to use the GERMAN tank against the GERMANS!!! HAHAHAAH
DAS GOOD!!!!!!!!![>:]
http://www.twenot.nl/cuckoo.htm

So I am ordering the following parts:

From Daryl Turner
Elevation arm
Panther Barrel insert
Gearbox brace Kit for the Panther.
and BEARINGS from STELLA MODELS (teflon sealed).....

A fellow club member has the same mods/upgrades on his Panther and participated again at our Latest Battleday with stock tracks and these upgraded parts and has had ZERO breakdowns....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6580882/tm.htm

=Look for the upcoming online assembly...

-TOMAS
www.texasarmor.com
www.bomberfieldusa.com
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 11-13-2007, 02:15 AM
kurtmeyer
Banned

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

WELL,,,, Just got my TAMIYA PANTHER... . a few of my fellow CLUB MEMBERS volunteered to assemble my tank for me and also to paint and detail it for me.... HOW NICE of them!!!!

Going to be doing it as the captured Panther "CUCKOO" [>:] Going to use the GERMAN tank against the GERMANS!!! HAHAHAAH
DAS GOOD!!!!!!!!![>:]
http://www.twenot.nl/cuckoo.htm

So I am ordering the following parts:

From Daryl Turner
Elevation arm
Panther Barrel insert
Gearbox brace Kit for the Panther.
and BEARINGS from STELLA MODELS (teflon sealed).....

A fellow club member has the same mods/upgrades on his Panther and participated again at our Latest Battleday with stock tracks and these upgraded parts and has had ZERO breakdowns....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6580882/tm.htm

=Look for the upcoming online assembly...

-TOMAS
www.texasarmor.com
www.bomberfieldusa.com
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
sweet cant wait.....
Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Elwarpo

Got my panther back today, after 2 months all they did was throw in a bag containing 2 new gearboxes and a new traverse unit. I do not think they looked at it much. The good thing is the left the old gearboxes installed with all the parts, so I now have 2 rebuild kits (on top of the 2 I just bought before I knew it was not the gears.)

At least they were good and warrantied everything. Very Happy