Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Southern Ontario RC Tank Club???

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Southern Ontario RC Tank Club???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Fireman Tim
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Southern Ontario RC Tank Club???

I thought I'd start this thread so that those who are interested in starting a RC Tank club in Ontario can discuss things.

If you are interested in forming a club, just post a msg introducing yourself and then join in the conversation.

First off, my name is Tim King, I am a 34 yr old Firefighter living just outside of Fort Erie. I took up RC Tanks as a hobby for a few reasons, my love of tanks and building tank models, but my main desire to do battle with them. I have little to no RC experience, but I did take some Electronic credits in College so I imagine I will learn quickly. I have a HL Panzer III on the way and plan to collect a Trumpeter T34 and a HL Tiger I in the next few months.

I'd like to see a club form in Southern Ontario where we can get together a half dozen or so times over the year, battle it out, run demos at RC/Hobby shows, or just drive our tanks. The Toronto Hobby show in November gives free floor space to clubs that show case thier hobby. Other venues could include Military shows (ie Borden, Ft. George), perhaps members could host an event or we could just meet at a park or something (Hamilton area???).

My other idea was to take up the Buffalo club's invitation and cross the border for a battle.

ok, there's my 2 cents.

Tim
Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 PM
pzrwest

Default RE: Southern Ontario RC Tank Club???

Sounds like a great idea. I wonder just how many people are from Ontario who are into rc tanks. Only draw back I can forsee is the distance between members I live mid way between Toronto and Ottawa in no-mans land lol
Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Fireman Tim

Yes, distance is a problem. I believe there are around 4 on this forum that live within 1-2 hours from Toronto. We'll see who responds to the thread.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM
gcadez

Count me in!

I generally attend the model shows and Hobbyshow for the same reason. I would definately be in for the one at the International center for 2008. I guess you need to put together a cheezy website next?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM
dsketcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested, though not sure about attendance.
I am 38, member of the Canadian Forces. Any meets or battle days would have to be on weekends.

Which era, WWII or Modern? Will this be Airsoft or IR?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Tigerwright

I also work through the week and could only make it out on weekends. Myself and Fireman Tim
were talking about IR.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 PM
Fireman Tim

WOW! Its good to see there is some interest in forming a club.

IMHO:

-Yes a Website or Blog or something would be a good idea. Perhaps we could continue to use a thread on this forum for communications.

-I agree that weekends would be best. Maybe aiming for 3-4 meetings/battles in 2008 would be a good start.

-I think for something like the TO show, IR is a must. We would have to assemble some buildings or hills for terrain. The Montreal club has a nice video on You-Tube showing what they use.

-We could do Airsoft, but again, anything in public (parks etc) would have to be IR. The DBU/C is very inexpensive and I am told it is easy to install (compatible with TBU too). I like the idea of shooting objective targets (cardboard infantry/artillery, etc) with Airsoft ( perhaps we could duplicate it using an IR system ???).

-I don't think era is a factor, scale probably would be. It looks like most clubs battle with 1/16s, but 1/24 looks to be growing. For just driving a tank around at a demo, I would think anything goes.

Tim
Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I'd be in for this. I'm in St Catharines and weekends would be best for me. I"m sure some of us could car pool if the distance is great. Sounds like TO is central to the guys that have shown interest. Doesn't mean some of the guys who are close to each other can't get together and start discussing this. I know Matotoys have a place on their site to link to if we a web site for the club. I'm sure we all have some knowledge to share and ideas on how we'd like to see this club evolve. I currently have about a dozen RC tanks. I tend to convert mine to airsoft. I've never owned an IR tank but if thats what I need to battle then I'd modify some of my tanks. I've been wroking on how to upgrade the airsoft units so that I can shoot paintballs and have them consisantly break at distances of up to 50'. I'm slowly getting there. Even though it may be a little messy wouldn't it be fun to actually fire live ammo at each other.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Fireman Tim

Maybe we could try and have a battle at Battlefield park, in Stoney Creek some time in May, like Saturday the 17th or 31st?

[link=http://www.battlefieldhouse.ca/default.asp]Battlefield Park[/link]

Its about 1 hour from London, 45 min from Toronto, and its off the QEW.

That gives us 5 months to get our acts together, assemble some terrain to fight around, recruit and modify our tanks with TBU, DBC etc.

Tim
Old 12-31-2007, 06:11 PM
Tigerwright

That sounds good, it will give me enough time to finish my new tiger.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Fireman Tim

I have been talking to ArmChairGeneral from the Buffalo club. I'd like to take up his offer for a battle on this side of the border sometime this summer (possibly in St. Catharines,Queenston or Fort Erie), and a battle in Lewiston, NY. Again, these guys use Tamiya Battle Units (ACG, correct me if I am wrong) which are compatible with the DBU/C that can be installed in HL tanks.

I'd still like to run a battle in Stoney Creek in May to get acquainted and test out or tanks. So if anyone is interested in starting a RC Tank battle club using IR please PM me so we can organize and pick a club name.

Tim
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
thebronze

I'm from T.O...
Old 01-02-2008, 11:39 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

Maybe we should get together and share information. I've never used an IR battle system before. I've seen on Youtube some IR battles. They look to be battling quite close. You'd think you would be engaging the enemy at more than a few feet. At those distances, you might as well us airsoft tanks and put paintballs in them.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:56 AM
Fireman Tim

From what I have read, IR ranges are up to 30m depending on the amount of daylight. I think the ranges are so short on YouTube videos is because they are skirmishing around buildings and tight terrain.

Tim

Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

That's what I though. It was more of a cat and mouse thing going on. what I pictured for battles would be more out in the field. Maybe having one team on the offence with a stated objective. The other team would be on the defensive. That way you could have static (anti-tank) guns emplaced that would be operated via remote control (not radio) This would allow more players as there are limited frequencies to use for Radio control. So with the HL tanks you could have 4 mobil tank vs a number of antitank guns. The objective would be for the tanks to penetrate the anti tank gun belt (you could even have several belts of antitank guns.) Of course there would be rules. The larger tanks would be able to sustain more hits without being considered a kill where the anti-tank guns would only be allowed one hit and they are out. each team would decide their strategy. The defensive team would have access to the battle field before hand to set up anit-tank defenses. The offensive team would be allowed to view the battle field from their side to develop a strategy.

Just food for thought. There would have to be observers to acknoweldge kills when they occur,a and of course there's the honour system.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Fireman Tim

That would be an interesting game.

From what I have seen, most battles are tank skirmishes with lots of cover. I haven't seen anybody with IR AT guns yet.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:19 PM
thomasjohnmurphy

I was thinking not IR but airsoft (using 6mm paintballs.) Anything within 30ft is dead. My modified guns are deadly accurate within those short distances. The farther away the less accurate but I've had paintballs break as far as 60ft. So a 100ft long battle field would be all you need (maybe 50ft wide) with about a 100ft safety perimeter around it. Anyone inside would be required to wear safely goggles as bb's can ricochet quite far.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:49 AM
George Jure

Hi, my name is George.

I am 41 an Electronic Engineering Technician. I am involved with r.c tanks and I like I.R. battle systems. I would also be interested in a Southern Ontario RC Tank Club where we could either meet on line for talks or in person as well. I do have a transportation problem for myself due to two car accidents, travel time is limited for me.

Hopefully this group takes off, George Tonkovic
Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

We should meet (as I said, Burlington) Then people from TO could make it (either QEW of 407) London could come down the 403. And of course Niagara would be QEW. It would allow the most people to attend. We'd have to decide on a place and time.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Fireman Tim

George,

Tigerwright, myself and possibly a few others are planning to meet at Battlefield park in May (17th or 31st) to run tanks and try IR battling. Blitzkrieg from the Buffalo Club has also stated a desire to cross the boarder for an IR battle with us (probably St. Catharines or maybe Queenston). He has invited us over to Lewiston too. If you wish to join our group, please PM me.

Non IR battlers are welcome to join us, but please note we will be running tanks in a public park.

Tim
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

It would be nice to for us N0N-IR tankers to meet the IR tankers to learn more about it and to figure out how to put it in our tanks
Old 01-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Fireman Tim

Thomas,

I am told it is easy to install and you won't have to loose your Airsoft capabilities. I plan to keep my Panzer III's airsoft cannon, and use the DBC IR unit.

Blitzkrieg has been more than helpful explaining it to me.

[link=http://www.arachnidcreations.com/rctankwars/battlecircuits.html]http://www.arachnidcreations.com/rctankwars/battlecircuits.html[/link]
Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Fireman Tim

Thomas,

is that your Panther for sale on Ebay?

[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/Custom-1-16-HL-Heng-Long-Radio-Control-RC-Panther-Tank_W0QQitemZ330200441094QQihZ014QQcategoryZ44026 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]Ebay Panther[/link]
Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

Yes it is. Have you picked up your Panzer III yet?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:18 AM
thomasjohnmurphy

If you've been to the Hobby Shop in St Catharines lately you'd have seen some of my tanks there. I've had them display there for several months, switching the tanks every few weeks. I currently have a Tiger I and Stug III on display.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.