Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Interested in Starting Out in Tank

Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Interested in Starting Out in Tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:25 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Interested in Starting Out in Tank

ORIGINAL: YHR

There is not much wrong with a Heng long IR equipped tank for under $150.00 Put on metal tracks and you will remove the track problems mentioned above. Also the Heng Long turret rotation and elevation is bullet proof, and trouble free. Parts are readily available, so relax. If any thing breaks it can be fixed.

Are Tamiya worth the money. Sure. Do you have to spend that much money to have fun in tanking, No.

Almost everything about the Tamiya is a quality item. The electronics, sound system , etc all work together well to provide you with a top quality model tank. You have to fuss with the Heng long to get it to Tamiya standards, and in most cases you will have spent almost as much as buying a Tamiya at the end of it all.

The newest Heng Long releases are pretty good though out of the box, and they will help you deterine if this hobby is for you.
Very well put YHR. The metal tracks are nice and that is what I use on my Tam/HL Panzer III. My Tam/HL Stug III uses the plastic. The biggest problems with the Heng Long is in two parts. One: that the quality is still hit and miss and Two: there are no service manuals or viable trouble shooting guides for servicing them. It is catch as catch can. I really feel sorry for the poor *******s out there who have not found these forums or have NO ONE to help them through their tanks troubles. Particularlly with the simple problems. They are tainted to the RC tank hobby now and not likely to try again. Like I've said on this and other forums you are really on your own with a Heng Long tank. It is sink or swim. I bought two H L Stug IIIs last year from Mato Toys. Neither one would work properly. One had a bad board and the other a crushed transmitter. Luckily I was able to make one good one out of the two delivered. One did not even have a switch to turn on the smoker. The smoker was there but no wires. It took emails and pix to get it settled two weeks later. When I brought them to danville for a head to head batle and evaluation, the track pins fell out so fast that I wouldn't run them any more. You couldn't make the 300 or so gule drops stick without scrubbing and drying the tracks prior to the pin gluing. The mtal track kits can add $100 to the rice of a HL tank. If I were a newbie I might have given up right there and then. Tamiya will replace the DMD or MF units as long as they are not destroyed. If you cut and splice the power wires or add dean connectors, they do not care. The stand firmly behind what they sell and that speaks volumes. An inexpensive used Tamiya or a H L with tamiya electronics is a fine tank for the price. The IR stock H L is for the budget minded. I also have a WSN T34 conversion that i battle. the HL and WSN rotation and elevations are fine and durable. You will break a barrel with them where the Tamiya rotation will give way. Everything they do is for a good reason.
Bob thecommandernj
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14138.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1297348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79967.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	1297349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95678.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1297350  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Gereke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you take the time to water/weatherproof the electronics and running gear then there should be zero reason to fear running a Tamiya in the Snow/Mud. Just because a Heng Long is a cheaper to purchase tank doesn't mean that it by default is better for going out and "bashing" with. I've been in the R/C Car hobby for a long time, and I'll tell you what- cheaper is not always the better basher just because of not being "afraid to break it". (I also have an R/C Tank.. HL Stug III which I have invested some time and money into improving both functionally and aesthetically)

Weather/waterproofing isn't that hard. Just have to make the electronics compartment "water tight" to keep moisture/debris out. There are a number of sealant compounds out there that you could use to do the job. I can't speak for Tamiya tanks and how "water tight" they come out of the box, but in the case of say- my Heng Long STUG there are some big openings under the fenders that allow stuff inside with the circuitry and gearboxes. That can be remedied by cutting some styrene/lexan pieces to fill the gaps. I wager if you were to run a search here on the forums you could find some topics on how to weatherproof electronics, and even the tank hulls themselves.

The other important thing is to always do post-run maintenance when you're done playing. Open up the tank and make sure there isn't anything inside that's not supposed to be there. Blow it out with canned air or with an air compressor if you have one. Wipe it down and lubricate the bearings/bushings.

Basic point, just properly maintain your stuff if you're going to run it outside in the Snow/Rain/Mud/Dust/Grime/Filth. Doesn't matter if it's a $600 Tamiya or a $100 Heng Long.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Rob_ac05

I know that the guys who battle the R/C ships with the BB guns aren't worried about the electronics (servos and such) getting wet, as the fresh water won't hurt them. I guess the concern with the tanks is the IR systems
Old 10-18-2009, 03:17 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thecommander

ORIGINAL: YHR

There is not much wrong with a Heng long IR equipped tank for under $150.00 Put on metal tracks and you will remove the track problems mentioned above. Also the Heng Long turret rotation and elevation is bullet proof, and trouble free. Parts are readily available, so relax. If any thing breaks it can be fixed.

Are Tamiya worth the money. Sure. Do you have to spend that much money to have fun in tanking, No.

Almost everything about the Tamiya is a quality item. The electronics, sound system , etc all work together well to provide you with a top quality model tank. You have to fuss with the Heng long to get it to Tamiya standards, and in most cases you will have spent almost as much as buying a Tamiya at the end of it all.

The newest Heng Long releases are pretty good though out of the box, and they will help you deterine if this hobby is for you.
Very well put YHR. The metal tracks are nice and that is what I use on my Tam/HL Panzer III. My Tam/HL Stug III uses the plastic. The biggest problems with the Heng Long is in two parts. One: that the quality is still hit and miss and Two: there are no service manuals or viable trouble shooting guides for servicing them. It is catch as catch can. I really feel sorry for the poor *******s out there who have not found these forums or have NO ONE to help them through their tanks troubles. Particularlly with the simple problems. They are tainted to the RC tank hobby now and not likely to try again. Like I've said on this and other forums you are really on your own with a Heng Long tank. It is sink or swim. I bought two H L Stug IIIs last year from Mato Toys. Neither one would work properly. One had a bad board and the other a crushed transmitter. Luckily I was able to make one good one out of the two delivered. One did not even have a switch to turn on the smoker. The smoker was there but no wires. It took emails and pix to get it settled two weeks later. When I brought them to danville for a head to head batle and evaluation, the track pins fell out so fast that I wouldn't run them any more. You couldn't make the 300 or so gule drops stick without scrubbing and drying the tracks prior to the pin gluing. The mtal track kits can add $100 to the rice of a HL tank. If I were a newbie I might have given up right there and then. Tamiya will replace the DMD or MF units as long as they are not destroyed. If you cut and splice the power wires or add dean connectors, they do not care. The stand firmly behind what they sell and that speaks volumes. An inexpensive used Tamiya or a H L with tamiya electronics is a fine tank for the price. The IR stock H L is for the budget minded. I also have a WSN T34 conversion that i battle. the HL and WSN rotation and elevations are fine and durable. You will break a barrel with them where the Tamiya rotation will give way. Everything they do is for a good reason. Bob thecommandernj

OK you have lost all objectivity with that comment

I do agree though that without this forum and others like it Heng Long tanks would be more of a gamble then they are. The current crop of Heng long releases(Jagd and KV-1) are very good, and I have heard little bad about them.

As far as instructions go the things come assembled. When you take them apart just pay attention to where everything goes. I have always said that if you don't like fixing and repairing, don't buy a tank, regardless of brand. This is not a hobby for guys who have no interest in learning about wiring and fixing things. I used to help out at a hobby shop and I couldn't believe how some people would bring back a slot car, complaining that it doesn't work, and when I had a look at it, there was dog hair wrapped around the axle so tight it was all bound up. They just didn't have the aptitude required to enjoy the hobby. I don't mean to be cruel, and I am certainly not making this statement about you, but in general if anyone reading this is afraid of a phillips screwdriver, then this hobby might not be for you.

The track pin issue can easily be fixed with a textured spray paint. Take off the tracks, lay them flat, and then spray paint the back side of them with the textured paint. The pins will stay in place. This is a standard procedure everyone should learn about a Heng Long. WHile you have the tracks off, you might as well Blue loc-tight the sprockets as well, because these will back off in about the first 10 minutes..

The big thing is that spare parts are readily available, nothing inside them is that difficult to understand, and you have a host of upgrade parts to rebuild the thing to a level equal of any tank out there.

However I do agree, there is no manufacturers support and you are on your own with trouble. On the other hand Heng Long has been very good at understanding that they need to have a steady supply of low cost replacement parts, and that is what separates these tanks from most of the other Chinese manufactured "toys". Where else can you buy a dual electornic speed control with IR battling, and sound, for less the $25. That is the strength of Heng Long. This is nowhere near the quality of the Tamiya electronics, but holy cow it is one tenth the cost!!!!!.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:44 PM
BIGMIG

Just a note for what it's worth..............................Blue "loctite" will distroy a lot of different types of plastic.............I found this out the hard way a long time ago and I like to pass this info on to others.It works great on metal.....But getting it on plastic can be a big problem.I know Tamiya puts out a plastic safe type,but I have never actualy used it or had any of it................???

BIGMIG
Old 10-18-2009, 04:58 PM
YHR

I have only ever used the Tamiya blue stuff, and was not aware the blue loctite brand was hard on plastic. Thanks, good to know. Although I guess with metal sprockets there wouldn't be much to worry about.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 AM
thecommander

Commons sense is not common these days. Most teenages can't jumpstart a car or even know which way to spin a lug wrench (What's that? Dude) to get a flat tire off. One of the questions I field the most is "How do you open up the HL tank?" If I had time I'd make a DVD or owners guide for how to with a HL tank. If you have read any on my other posts on this or any other tank forum my postion is clear.
**Heng Long has done more to broaden the appeal and affordablility of RC tanking in the past five years than Tamiya has done in the past ten years.**
Tamiya is responding to the cattle prod that H L is sticking them in the rump with. And we are all benefiting from it. The competion is fantactic and the hobby is growing in leaps and bounds.
I can't wait to see what is comng next. I think the new Sherman is out this week too.. Bob thecommandernj
Old 10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
YHR

ORIGINAL: thecommander

Commons sense is not common these days. Most teenages can't jumpstart a car or even know which way to spin a lug wrench (What's that? Dude) to get a flat tire off. One of the questions I field the most is ''How do you open up the HL tank?'' If I had time I'd make a DVD or owners guide for how to with a HL tank. If you have read any on my other posts on this or any other tank forum my postion is clear.
**Heng Long has done more to broaden the appeal and affordablility of RC tanking in the past five years than Tamiya has done in the past ten years.**
Tamiya is responding to the cattle prod that H L is sticking them in the rump with. And we are all benefiting from it. The competion is fantactic and the hobby is growing in leaps and bounds.
I can't wait to see what is comng next. I think the new Sherman is out this week too.. Bob thecommandernj

I agree. They each have their own market and they co-exist well with each other with some friendly cross over territory. It's all good for this segment of the hobby.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Rob_ac05

So i think i have it narrowed down to the Special Henglong Desert Yellow Panzer IV F2 Tank with Metal upgrades, from MATO. There is an IR system that can be installed for this correct? If so would it be compatible with the Tamiya system?

Rob
Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: Rob_ac05

So i think i have it narrowed down to the Special Henglong Desert Yellow Panzer IV F2 Tank with Metal upgrades, from MATO. There is an IR system that can be installed for this correct? If so would it be compatible with the Tamiya system?

Rob
Hi Rob,
I do not think they sell the Pzr IV in IR but Mato may sell you the parts to but it together yourself. HR IR is OK but very basic and simple. NO it will NOT work with Tamiya TBS systems. Tamiya TBS system is a Caddilac and HL IR is a Model T ford. I have tested all of these and they are not compatable. The KV 1 is availabe in IR. As is the Stug and Jagdpanther (I have both).
God Bless, Bob thecommandernj
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 AM
blitzkrieg65

Rob

Yes there is a Tamiya compatible IR Battle system for all Heng long tanks,,, thanks to your fellow countyman and Forum electronics expert! Darkith!

http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/rx18.shtml

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 10-21-2009, 02:11 AM
thecommander

ORIGINAL: blitzkrieg65

Rob

Yes there is a Tamiya compatible IR Battle system for all Heng long tanks,,, thanks to your fellow countyman and Forum electronics expert! Darkith!

http://darkith.dyndns.org/~darkith/html/rx18.shtml

I have heard about the DBC system for quite a while but have not see it in action yet. There is a tank dealer out there who just started selling HL tanks with the DBC type installed. They have been slow in givng me infomation and they have no video to prove or validate their claims. I am a little bit of a "Doubting Thomas" on these things and look forward to testing on of the DBC systems in Danville. But the HL and Tamiya factory IR sytems are NOT compatable. The DBC may be and I sure look forward to seeing it. I Did see a video but it was DBC vs. DBC not DBC vs. Tamiya TBS. The latter of the two is what we are reallly interested in here. I hope that it hits big and bet the rest of the HL tanking into IR battling. Thanks for the information and the link Blitz. I also like the fan ban/sweep shot elimination system that Darkith sells. I would like to try one myself soon as this technique is very unrealistic in IR battles.
God Bless Bob thecommandernj

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM
The_Stuff

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Just a note for what it's worth..............................Blue ''loctite'' will distroy a lot of different types of plastic.............I found this out the hard way a long time ago and I like to pass this info on to others.It works great on metal.....But getting it on plastic can be a big problem.I know Tamiya puts out a plastic safe type,but I have never actualy used it or had any of it................???

BIGMIG
will the tamiya thread lock work? i have a couple tubes from my semi truck but its for metal on metal where i have used it.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:18 PM
YHR

Blitz and myself will confirm that the DBC is definitley Tamiya compatible. Has different weight classes, just like Tamiya, Slows down the tank when hit, just like Tamiya, Has LED that light up, Just like Tamiya. When you purchase the sound recorder you end up with a device that can be triggered to play a hit, and death sound that is played over the HL sounds.

This package also offers momentum, can be programmed to eliminate the HL recoil, and superspin.

Darkith only supplies DIY kits, but Blitz builds them and offers them ready to install.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Rob_ac05

Thanks again for the info on the IR systems. After I posted I realized that I think i asked this aready in the posts. I think I've settled on and HL from Mato for a starter, one with an IR system installed, and work my way up from there. I know of at least one other guy close by who is interested, so we'll start with this and then maybe trade up from there.

Rob
Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 AM
thecommander

Thanks again for the info on the IR systems. After I posted I realized that I think i asked this aready in the posts. I think I've settled on and HL from Mato for a starter, one with an IR system installed, and work my way up from there. I know of at least one other guy close by who is interested, so we'll start with this and then maybe trade up from there.

Rob
Hi Rob,
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Remember, that you can always upgrade your HL tank with Tamiya DMD & MF systems, and the TBS IR battle system further down the road. The HL rotation unit, speaker (although not very loud), metal gearboxes, and some plastic tracks are all fine for use with the Tamiya electronics. If I may suggest a few things though.... If you want metal tracks, wheels or bearings try and buy them with the tank from the same supplier. If you buy more than one and combine your order with other tankers you may get a better price and will save on shipping as well. Try to buy a tank that Tamiya does not sell like the Panzer III or Stug. It will be worth more if you chose to sell it for a full option Tamiya Kit. Tamiya has released more tanks in the past three years mainly due to the pressure from HL. HL had a Panther (AKA Pantiger, very poor model), Panzer IV and KV I all BEFORE Tamiya released their mainly as a knee-jerk response. Davids Battle System (which is supposed to be Tamiya compatable) may also be added to a HL but I have no personal experience with it as of yet. All HL tanks lack any type of spring loaded or adjustable track tensioner so be prepared to get one should your IR battling style require it.

Good luck and God Bless Bob thecommandernj

Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
blitzkrieg65

Rob
Here is a video of the DBC's in action battling Tamiya tanks and EL MOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDnoT32Xy4

The Blitz
Old 10-27-2009, 08:49 PM
thecommander

Great video Blitz...
Are the flowered shirts obigatory for combatants? I also perfer casual over camo. I didn't see a muzzle flash on the HL tanks. Is there one did it not work or did the sunshine just wash it out? It is reqquired in Danville to track who is trying to kill you.
Thanks, Bob thecommandernj