Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks > War Room
Reload this Page >

Interested in Starting Out in Tank

Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Interested in Starting Out in Tank

Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Rob_ac05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interested in Starting Out in Tank

Hello all. I am interested in starting out in RC tanks, and I am in Nova Scotia. Does anyone know of anybody else that has any tanks out here?

Also I am looking at Tamiya and HengLong. What would be a good starting tank, with the IR system? Hoping for cost savings first, so I guess the HengLong.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Darksheer

Default RE: Interested in Starting Out in Tank

since your in canada
I would check out Matomart.com
they are canadian and are based in the toronto area so it will be less costly than dealing with a american company

no duty
import fee's
brokerage fee's
exchange rate
add more random border fee's you may or may not get hit with

for a tank itself i would get one of the following

panzer 3
stug
panzer 4
or the new KV1
they are mato's latest models and are the most reliable

personally i would get the panzer 3 or the KV1
Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Rob_ac05

Thanks for the post. Do you know of anybody or any clubs in the maritimes for RC Tankers? I've asked around at the local hobby store, but no luck.

Know a good website to look? I think I've posted in here on, asking this question.

Rob
Old 09-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Rob_ac05

I forgot to mention that I was looking for the IR battle systems as well. Browsing around the web looking for mods or up-grade kits.

Rob
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
christinedwrds

Hi there Rob! Maybe I can help you out. Check out ********'s site on RC tanks. Enjoy!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Rob_ac05

Are the HengLong and Tamiya IR battle systems compatible? Can they battle each other?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rob_ac05

Are the HengLong and Tamiya IR battle systems compatible? Can they battle each other?
No, They are not. It would be nice if they were....[>:] but no luck. The Impact system ( a direct copy of the Tamiya TBS) should be. The HL IR system is much nicer and more realistic than the Trumpetter/WSN tank battle system.

Tamiya is the best way to go. There are used and rebuilt tanks avaiable here and on the Web. Check the sellers feedback first. I bought my first Tamiya Tiger I with TBS, radio, charger for $500 US in Danville, VA and I was hooked instantly. The guy showed me everthing about it and fixed and adjusted it for me as needed for the first few battle weekends until I knew the ins and outs. I have had it three years now and since my 14 year old has moved on to a M 26 my 11 year old daughter runs it now. I still run the HL tanks mainly in the snow and mud outside where I wouldn't run the Tamiyas.

Good luck Bob thecommandernj
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85326.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1283191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18939.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1283192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw62827.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1283193  
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Rob_ac05

Thanks for the info. There arent any tankers that I know of around my area, so I might be the first. The price of the Tamiya's might scare a few people away, but your right, a used one would be a way to go. I like your idea of the HL for driving around in the mud and snow. I think this might be my option.

Great pics by the way. Where do you have your indoor battles? I've seen pics from a Armour Museum in VA I think, is that were you run? I'm up in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks again.

Rob
Old 09-27-2009, 04:26 PM
thecommander

Thanks for the info. There arent any tankers that I know of around my area, so I might be the first. The price of the Tamiya's might scare a few people away, but your right, a used one would be a way to go. I like your idea of the HL for driving around in the mud and snow. I think this might be my option.

Great pics by the way. Where do you have your indoor battles? I've seen pics from a Armour Museum in VA I think, is that were you run? I'm up in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Thanks again.

Rob
Hi Rob in the Great White North,
The one of which I speak often is the AAF Tank Museum of Danville. VA. I found the indoor battlefield there about 3 1/2 years ago on the Web. I had been vacationing 45 miles away from it since the early 90's. The indoor tank battlefield began approx. 6 years ago. It is approx. 80 x 100 feet, is first rate and was built by a team of very dedicated men from several states. I drive 525 miles each way for the 3 day battle weekends which are held about 5 times each year. We have people from Texas, FLA, Tenn, VA, Del, NC & GA often. We have 12 to 15 batttles each day and 5 or so night battles (my favorite) on Fri & Sat evenings. I used to fly there when I had only one tank but the fleet is too big now. Every now and thn I sell a TBS battle ready tank there and on Ebay too. Mr tamiya has even attended from Japan. The next big event is in early Nov (6th - 8th) with car crushing tanks, car show, machine gun, mortar, flamethrower demonstrations. If you can fly into Greensboro, North Carolina then it's 45 miles north to Danville. Local hotels are approx $55 per night. I you don't have a TBS tank you can try one of mine.... I'm in the process of building a field for RC in a local park in northern NJ. I will be posting details on Yahoo groups in the Queens Panzer Group / North East Armored Division section.

Here are a few videos feel free to post comments on youtube if you enjoyed them.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDNOPrNXUE

Pardon the liberal coments, but it is amusing....
Yes. I'm the one shooting the MP 40 in the "golf battle" and helping out with the flame thrower....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tj22Tvb2SM

And on with some of our tank battles..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqderIBcjxk

I hope you will enjoy these... Bob thecommandernj

Old 09-27-2009, 04:45 PM
thecommander

It appears one link did not take try this one...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ACvzzINRko Bob
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Ern

Hi Rob... and welcome aboard! Don't forget to post and check the main tank forum. This forum, The War Room, doesn't get the hits the main forum does, and isn't really meant for general questions and discussions. I'm surprised that no one told you to look at the HL Tiger. They are great and have lots of mod possibilities because of the size, and they have been upgraded with the newer electronic boards along with the other newer models. I've got two, and one under major reconstruction converting it from an early Tiger model to a late war version. It's been a fun build, but coming along slowly as I haven't been able to put the time into it like I would want to. Here's a link to the main forum in case you haven't found it and a pic of some of the bits and pieces you can get to add on a Tiger.

Again, welcome and have a great time!
Ernie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_369/tt.htm

Name:	Hf99475.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1286656  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Rob_ac05

When you install the IR battle system for the tanks, do you need to do anything with your Tx or Rx? Do you need a new Tx/Rx? I should think not but I figured I'd ask for sure.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 AM
thecommander

Both IR systems require no modifications, just installation. The Tamiya is all set to install the TBS into the DMD/MF units. The TBS system runs $75 to $120. The HL system install in the RX 18 unit and is very small and simple. it runs $10 to $20. It is plug and play requiring basis model skills.
Bob thecommandernj
Old 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Rob_ac05

I've noticed that there is a third (?) maker of tanks, Airsoft? Are these worth a look, or are they made by HL or a cheaper version of Tamiya? Has anyone fitted one with a IR system?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:26 AM
thecommander

I've noticed that there is a third (?) maker of tanks, Airsoft? Are these worth a look, or are they made by HL or a cheaper version of Tamiya? Has anyone fitted one with a IR system?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Thanks.
It all depends on what you want to do with the tank. Who was the other maker, there are so many? Drive around? Shoot the neighbors cat in the butt with airsoft BBs when he craps in your fower bed? Have inexpensive IR tanks battles? Get into Tamiya IR tank battles? What is you pleasure??? Bob thecomandernj
Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Rob_ac05

Looking at inexpensive IR battles, hoping to get a few people from around here interested in the hobby. Then probably look at the more expensive Tamiya tanks with IR systems.

Are the Tamiya tanks and IR systems really worth the extra hundreds of bucks? Not having seen the HL or Tamiya up close and in person I'm at a loss.

Rob
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 PM
thecommander

Looking at inexpensive IR battles, hoping to get a few people from around here interested in the hobby. Then probably look at the more expensive Tamiya tanks with IR systems.

Are the Tamiya tanks and IR systems really worth the extra hundreds of bucks? Not having seen the HL or Tamiya up close and in person I'm at a loss.

Rob
Hi Rob,
Are the Tamiya tanks worth it??? YES THEY ARE!!!! Please excuse me for shouting. However, if you want a good (not the best, as is the Tamiya TBS) I R battle system the HL IR series is very good. They can be run in shallow water puddles. mud and snow and year round. I would never do that with the Tamiya TBS tanks. A middle cost alternative is a HL tank with the Tamiya systems installed. Below are some pix of the Stug II that i converted to tamya TBS. They are viable alternative and sold privately on these various forums and Ebay. They do require RC skills to build and maintain. If you buy one from Ebay see if you can get full instructions and technical assistance from the seller. When I sell my tanks ( I'm thecommanderwpd on Ebay ) I make a instructional DVD for each unit. It is included in the sale and takes you step by step from charging prior to use, to startup, IR battle and driving, to shut down and storage. I don't know why no one else offers this but I think it reasures the buyer and e,imnates any grey areas.
Yes, you could buy two IR Heng longs for what you will pay for one Tamiya tank so it all depends on your budget. Mato toys in Canada is top shelf and they may make you a package deal if you call or email them. Make sure you get the tanks with the metal gearboxes and on separate frequencies number 1 thru 4. The are 27 Mhx AM. Extra crystals are available outside those four. You can use these tanks year round (in the snow is my favorite). Buy some extra 7.2 batteries and a fast charger (do not buy from Mato though as they are cheaper on the web). The HL metal options (wheels tracks and idlers) are nice but not really necessary. If you must have them it is cheapest to buy them in one lot with the tank rather than separate packages. I just got the Heng Long Jagdpather IR tank from them. They sent me the wrong color and not on the channel I requested but everything else was fine so I can deal with it. I'll try and post some pix and video of the H L IR system in action. The WSN/Wasan IR tanks are very unrealistic and hold no resale value but the H L do. Send me a email at [email protected] if you are interested in any of the Tamiya tanks that I'll be selling this fall.
Bob thecommandernj

Name:	Bz76758.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1296533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69619.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1296534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96370.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1296535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr48587.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1296536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fr91060.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1296537  
Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 AM
The_Stuff

hey Rob! greeting to a fellow Canadian! you from right down in the halifax or you be by chance from farther east into peggy's cove? got a couple friends from out thar and a couple that have moved back down there.

for a cheap and easy to play with soloution would be to get that ir battle take KV-1 from mato mart and get to know the tank before you spend a good chunk of change on a tamiya. mind you from experiance tamiya has seemed to be worth every darn penny ive thrown at it. ive got bout 1200 into my semi truck now lol.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:07 AM
thecommander

I second that, stuff....try combinling the trucks and tanking with a recovery vehicle for a real trip... check out willyscustomrcs.com Bob
Old 10-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Rob_ac05

I do have one question though. If the Tamiya tanks are worth the price, why not run the Tamiya's in the shallow water, mud and snow? Is it you just don't want to ruin the best looking one? I could understand that, but if the HL is more tough duty, like the Ford 150's then I would think its a better buy, lol. Or is it the IR system that is not robust enough?

I think I'm leaning towards the HL, definitely with the metal engine, gearbox. Also thinking about the metal tracks.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Rob_ac05

Hey Stuff!!! Another Canadian, great. I'm in Dartmouth actually, but you have to say Halifax, because people from Halifax get grumpy if you don't, lol. One big happy city now, lol. About 45 minutes from the Cove. I like to go down and watch the silly tourists get swept into the ocean after they ignore the danger signs. Kind of like natural selection in action.

Any of your friends into R/C? I'm looking at the HL's to start with, and hopefully get one or two other people interested. As per the thecommander's last post, I think a Tamiya compatible IR system in a HL is my best bet.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM
The_Stuff

Heya Rob.

well first the fear of running the tamiya tanks in the mud snow and water is mostly because "hey i put lots of money and time into this, do i really want to chance that?" and heng long is simple, and under 200 bucks. so if something does break you can get parts or part it out or fix it redneck style lol.

second part is yeah, one buddy thats out there now is into the rc thing a bit. has a mini baja but wether its here or there i dont know. they live in sydney round whitney pier area i hear. havent been there myself to see the place but ive heard enough that i get a jist of the view lol.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 AM
thecommander

Hey Stuff!!! Another Canadian, great. I'm in Dartmouth actually, but you have to say Halifax, because people from Halifax get grumpy if you don't, lol. One big happy city now, lol. About 45 minutes from the Cove. I like to go down and watch the silly tourists get swept into the ocean after they ignore the danger signs. Kind of like natural selection in action.

Any of your friends into R/C? I'm looking at the HL's to start with, and hopefully get one or two other people interested. As per the thecommander's last post, I think a Tamiya compatible IR system in a HL is my best bet.
Hey Rob,
I found a video that will give you an idea about the HL vs Tamiya TBS systems.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0525161&hl=en# Check it out.

PS Can you ost a video of the stupid people in action. I make a living watching idiots and yours sound very entertaining.... Bob
Old 10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
thecommander

I do have one question though. If the Tamiya tanks are worth the price, why not run the Tamiya's in the shallow water, mud and snow? Is it you just don't want to ruin the best looking one? I could understand that, but if the HL is more tough duty, like the Ford 150's then I would think its a better buy, lol. Or is it the IR system that is not robust enough?

I think I'm leaning towards the HL, definitely with the metal engine, gearbox. Also thinking about the metal tracks.
Think of the HL as the work truck you got for a song, that didn't cost you too much, so you don't have a lot to loose is something happens to it. The Tamiya is the new Chevy Sierra 2500 that you just got off the dealers lot (Dark grey, extended cab, 4 X 4 with chrome wheels and black brush guards....ahhhh). Both will do the same job... (BTW the H L is NOT tougher than the Tamiya but the Tam IS tougher than the H L). But what are you willing to put in harms way and risk getting damaged in muh snow and water??? A H L board is very cheap compared to Tamiya. I have several spares that I sell from time to time out of Heng Longs that I converted to Tamiya. I'm doing a HL Panzer IV converstion to a custom Jagdpanzer IV Lang (low-profile, not the high-profile from the conversion kit). The main thing on the two is the HL electronics are higher up in the tank and dryer and the battery in in a low baox that can get wet. The Tamiyas electronic (DMD & MF units) are low, vulnerable and pricey! It is much easier to clean the HL than the Tamiya too. Do not put any tank away with mud, dirt, etc... in the treads. Clean them before storage or they will dry to a cake that will destroy your gearbox and tracks (just like the did in Staligrad). H L s break tracks often depending on the type of tank. Tiger I, Pantiger, Stug Pzr III & IV all the time (many need the pins to be glued/CA'd in place for serious IR battling). M26 & Jagdpanther rarely break. I've never seen a Tamiya break a track. Pins come loose yes, but never break. HL are hard plastic and stiff. Tamiya are a softer plastic and stretch just enough not to break apart. My Pzr III is fast like a sports car and loves to throw tracks due to aggressive driving (see pix). I'm developing a flexible tesnioner instead of the rigid but adjustable that I use now. The Tamiya IR is the best.... the HL is fuctional and cheap to use.
I know I'm throwing a lot at you but I wany you and your buddies to have fun and get into a great hobby loaded with fun, history and most of all, a great group of gentlemen to RC wtih.

Good luck and think it through..... Bob thecommandernj

Name:	Us54006.jpg
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1297279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10967.jpg
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1297280   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26264.jpg
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1297281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24228.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1297282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43725.jpg
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	1297283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xo90203.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1297284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb59665.jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1297285  
Old 10-18-2009, 03:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is not much wrong with a Heng long IR equipped tank for under $150.00 Put on metal tracks and you will remove the track problems mentioned above. Also the Heng Long turret rotation and elevation is bullet proof, and trouble free. Parts are readily available, so relax. If any thing breaks it can be fixed.

Are Tamiya worth the money. Sure. Do you have to spend that much money to have fun in tanking, No.

Almost everything about the Tamiya is a quality item. The electronics, sound system , etc all work together well to provide you with a top quality model tank. You have to fuss with the Heng long to get it to Tamiya standards, and in most cases you will have spent almost as much as buying a Tamiya at the end of it all.

The newest Heng Long releases are pretty good though out of the box, and they will help you deterine if this hobby is for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.