Community
Search
Notices
War Room Discuss historical, battles, battle grounds, events, combat strategies and more right here!

Need some buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some buying advice

A few years ago I picked up what I believe everyone refers to as a Hen Long Panther (1/16 RTR, Maurui, etc). I've been pleased with it (other than the modeling of the front end, which is irritating *grin*). Right after I got it, I learned I was lucky to get the smoking & sound version, as the gearbox was supposedly different from the non-sound version, in that it could drive each track simultaneously while turning/rotating.

Now I'm thinking of picking up something else. I want something with at least the same features I have so far.

Here's my dilemma... the Panther I have, has smooth speed control. But most of the ads I'm running into are advertising "2 speed" controls. That sure sounds like no graduation in speed... it sounds like it's full out or really slow with nothing in between. Am I getting that right? And if so, what happened to the ability to graduate the speeds?

I'd like a Panzer III, but I want a grey one (my modeling/painting gear from decades ago, is far too buried to even think of finding, much less reviving! *grin?*). I'd settle for a Panzer IV (but I've never had much luck with them in board & computer wargames *big grin*). I really wouldn't mind a Stug, but they seem to be fewer and farther between in the ads. Which leads me to believe they may be by a completely different company?

Can anyone point me at the ads that are hiding what I want (graduated speed control) and recommend the best place to buy from (my Panther had to be replaced right off the bat once, and I want to deal with a place that will handle that possibility with no hassles).

Also, what is the trick to disassembling the Panther? I assume there are plastic tabs holding most of it together, but I can't figure out where they are without destroying the thing. Does the turret need to come off first (somehow)? Etc.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
tankfanatic

Default RE: Need some buying advice

Yo -E, 

I finally got my first tank a month or so a go, from what I've learned...(even if the ad says "2 speeds") as long as the tank is advertised as smoke and sound version, it's variable speed. I bought from Raidentech.com myself. Despite all the suggestions and recommendations to go with some of the places like Rccommand, RCtankwars and so forth, (although I first ordered a tank through Rccommand, only to have to get a refund after waiting a month for it to ship) the tanks are too over priced for what they are being sold for at the small dealers. Just my opinion......my smoke and sound metal version KV1 works great and only cost 139.95 with free shipping......it would have cost me +200 from the mentioned sites. If the panther is like my KV1, then there should be screws on the bottom and maybe on the side that secures the top. That's where the disassembly begins and then you work your way to the turret to by removing the turret ring once you get the top off.
Hope this helps a bit!
Thomas J.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
-E

ORIGINAL: tankfanatic

Yo -E,

I finally got my first tank a month or so a go, from what I've learned...(even if the ad says ''2 speeds'') as long as the tank is advertised as smoke and sound version, it's variable speed.
That's what I thought after buying mine... but looking around at all the different ads started to worry me that I'd implied that wrong. (note that it was pure luck when I bought mine... I just bought one and decided to get one with sound & smoke)

I bought from Raidentech.com myself. Despite all the suggestions and recommendations to go with some of the places like Rccommand, RCtankwars and so forth, (although I first ordered a tank through Rccommand, only to have to get a refund after waiting a month for it to ship) the tanks are too over priced for what they are being sold for at the small dealers. Just my opinion......my smoke and sound metal version KV1 works great and only cost 139.95 with free shipping......it would have cost me +200 from the mentioned sites.
I thought about Raidentech but ran into some horror stories about them, while checking them out. In fact, it seemed almost everyone I checked out had horror stories written about them, and no phone number to get a hold of a real person. Somehow, I rarely trust an unknown (to me) site that doesn't have a real address and a real phone number (especially so because they'll get my address, phone number, AND money).

I wish I could find the guy who sold me my new Panther for $75 + $15 shipping off of e-bay. Of course the first one was DOA, but he covered it with a replacement and return shipping label. In fact, this is one of the biggest reasons I'm asking for seller recommendations... if it arrives DOA, I really don't want to shell out more money for shipping (assuming I'm not out of all my money!).

If the panther is like my KV1, then there should be screws on the bottom and maybe on the side that secures the top. That's where the disassembly begins and then you work your way to the turret to by removing the turret ring once you get the top off.
Hope this helps a bit!
Thomas J.
This part is embarrassing... I hadn't actually looked at trying to take it apart for a couple of years. After posting, I noticed all the screws I didn't see when I bought it. *sheepish grin*
Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 PM
tankfanatic

lol! Hey it happens -E! 

Well, firstly...in this is my honest opinion and experience with dealing with reviews and reading them. You can't read them for face value unless you know the person who writes them. Everyone has different expectations....and to be honest, most everyone has unreasonable expectations(including me.) You have to keep in mind that these are cheap chinese toys made under questionable quality control. Once you get that instilled into your mind, now you have to decide whether it's worth the money for the gamble. I don't care who sells them, someone's bound to provide you a dud or one that doesn't meet the better quality of the next guys tank, even though it's the same as yours. The big plus is being able to fix it yourself. I've had the chance of reading alot of what these fine fellas write and relay and I haven't had to post a help thread once thanks to the search bar, cause it's likely someone has had the same problems. As for not being able to reach Raiden.....I've had no problems reaching them at all. They answer my emails and picked up the phone everytime. It's easier to get help on their forum and they except returns for exchange or refunds. They aren't like the small dealers who carry spare parts, but if they have them and your willing to do the work...they'll send it to you no problem. My KV1 didn't come with spare tracks and they sent me 3 extra links, even though they said none of the KV1's they sell come with them. They have contact info listed on their site.......I think wonderhobby is an affiliation too.
Customer Support
Sales: (626) 968-9860 9am-7pm (Pacific Standard Time) [email protected]
Returns (RMA): [email protected]
Supports[email protected]
Verifications[email protected]
Wholesales[email protected]
Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM
karel47

the naw panther G and jagdpanther Late are very good tanks, i'v' bought mine at 93€ at www.torro-shop.de maybe you give it a try, they have a very good service to afterwards
Yes the price was in shippings