RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   War Room (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/)
-   -   Reading Material (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/war-room-459/10514975-reading-material.html)

Stince 05-11-2011 07:46 PM

Reading Material

Does any one out there recommend any good reading material about tankers in WWII?
Fiction or non-fiction, not a manual. Anything with a good store.

Just finish reading a book a bout Juno Beach and a two volume book set about Canadians in WWI, which was an awesome read, learn alot.

thecommander 05-11-2011 07:53 PM

RE: Reading Material

Hi Stince,

My "Library" grows each week, much to my wife's chagrin.[>:]

A few off the top of my head:

Death Traps by the late Belton Cooper
Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius
The Tigers Are Burning by Martin Caidin
Men Against Tanks (auf Deutsch: Manner gegen Panzer)

Helpful hint: Try you local library first They can get you Cooper's book.

Bob

maintcoder 05-12-2011 08:37 PM

I have scanned sections of 'Another River, Another Town A Teenage Tank Gunner Comes of Age inCombat - 1945' and liked it. I have yet to sit down and read the whole thing through.

'Death Traps' is a great read in my opinion.

sevoblast 05-13-2011 02:58 AM

Cooper's book is quite good, and gives a very rare look at the "tail" operations, maint. and supply end. However, there are very many mistakes in the book about the German tanks he saw. Still, it is a very interesting read, and gives a good look at the logistics end of the war, a very rare view of a very rare subject.

I would recommend finding books by the veterans themselves, and preferably written some years after the war. Even then, take some info with a grain of salt. Official histories tend to be rather slanted, no matter which side they are from. For day to day ops etc of Tigers, get Tigers in Combat 1 & 2. Quite the good read.

Gunslinger Rex 05-13-2011 02:59 AM

Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck.

pcomm1 05-13-2011 07:19 AM

Favorites: Plus the other books mentioned above add these to the must read list: 1. At a book store or at Amazon: MICHAEL WITTMANN AND THE WAFFEN SS TIGER COMMANDERS OF THE LEIBSTANDARTE IN WWII, Vol. II (Stackpole Military History) [Paperback]. 2. At your local library: Sherman: A History of the American Medium Tank, R Hunnicutt (Author). And ETO Bob, writing history is an interpretive sport, so what is your point, all writers have a slant? 3. Try online and check this site out: http://www.history.army.mil/bookshelves.html "Final editing was done in the Foreign Studies Branch, Special Studies Division, Office of the Chief of Military History. The draft translation of the original German text was first revised and then reorganized in the interest of brevity, clarity, and pertinence. In this process every effort was made to retain the point of view, the expressions, and even the prejudices of the authors. A. C. SMITH, Major General, USA, Chief, Military History." John

rivetcounter 05-13-2011 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: C4ISTAR

''Final editing was done in the Foreign Studies Branch, Special Studies Division, Office of the Chief of Military History. The draft translation of the original German text was first revised and then reorganized in the interest of brevity, clarity, and pertinence. In this process every effort was made to retain the point of view, the expressions, and even the prejudices of the authors. A. C. SMITH, Major General, USA, Chief, Military History.'' John

Another words he put his own revisionist slant on the translation.

Armoured battles of the Waffen SS, Will. Fey
A Fine night for tanks. Ken Tout
By Tank. Ken Tout
The bloody battle for Tilly. Ken Tout
Just to name a few all by veteran’s who were there, as Sev say’s historians have their own agenda some more than others.

pcomm1 05-13-2011 03:48 PM

The phrase should be "in other words", not another word, though that is no doubt what you mean. Hey rivecounter, go read that web site (if you can) and what the General is saying is that in the academic military arena, even the US Army does not edit out and DOES allow for the offensive and murderess expressions and beliefs of the WWII German enemy to be read and heard. That openess would never have happened in your fantasy kraut fatherland of the 1940's. LOL. Again, when you go to college and graduate, someday, you will learn that writing history is an interpretive event and takes many sources to capture the facts and slant is a given. Also read this book for a perspective and interesting SLANT from the German side: Tigers in the Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander, Otto Carius (Author), Robert Edwards (Translator).

Stince 05-14-2011 08:32 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will be putting in order for some of these through Amazon.

Also, I was able to pick up 24 of the Time Life WWII book series for $70. Does anyone what order these book go in. There does seem to be any numbering. I assume that each book must be it own independent subject, but it would be nice to read them in some sort of order.

thecommander 05-15-2011 10:26 AM

The TL books are kind of like the Ballantine pocket books which you may add to my aforementioned book list. They are not in chronological order. They are by subject, describe a specific campaign, battle, theater of operation. branch of service or commander. TL books are similar. Start with your favorites first then move on to the lesser books. When you are done with your whole collection (in a few years....LOL[:o]), it will be time to read the favorites again. I'm usually reading three books at a time. I keep one at home, one in my truck and one at work. The only time I've stayed with just one book was when reading "Death Traps" by Belton Cooper. He probably saw more KO'ed US tanks on the ETO than anyone else in WWII. It is not very objective book, but then again it was HIS view of what he expereinced. He was not an expert on the battles. But he was an expert on the aftermath of those battles. His job was to gather the information on the wrecked tanks and muster resources for re-supply to press on with the war.

Enjoy your collection....Bob

Stince 05-15-2011 11:47 AM

Bob,

I have no problem reading books that have a slanted view. You just have to read it with an open mind, and hopfully find another book with a different view to find the common ground.
Usually the fact are there, people just like to put their own spin on it. I'm a graphic design by trade and working in the industry for 15 years everyone has in their own mind what the colour blue is, and believe me there are lots of shades of blue out there. Everyone believes the verison in their mind is correct, so I always approch it with in open mind, even if I don't agree. I do that too when I'm learning something new. I try to read and watch as much about as I can, so I can form my own view of the subject. It is what makes it fun and enlightening.

thecommander 05-15-2011 07:34 PM

Hi Stince,

I did printing for many years with my dad. I used to run an AB Dick and an old Platten press, but not the Heidlebergs. My dad was in the Typographical union for 40 years God rest his soul. I used to do a lot of stats, cold-copy layout and ruling. But my dad always said computers would make it all obsolete very soon. That was in the early 80's. Look at it now.... I still have the drawing table, T-squares and my rapidograph pens....LOL. Oh, and I have a few spare rolls of registration marks if you need them. How did you make out at the library with Death Traps?

Bob

Stince 05-15-2011 08:28 PM

Hi Bob,

Sadly everything is done with computers and sent straight to digital printers. The old ways will most likey be lost, no more hands on. Though it is pretty cool to wrap a car with big sticker . It would be more fun to wrap a tank. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

I found a copy of "Death Traps"on amazon.ca for $10, not bad price. I will be order this and few others.

Tanque 05-19-2011 06:12 AM

I recently read an account of a British tank man named "By Tank Into Normandy". The author
Stuart Hills was a member of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry and at various times commanded a
Stuart ( Honey ) and Sherman. The writing is decent and at times quite engaging. Gives you a feeling
of just how fearful they were of the German Panzerfaust.

The book was published in 2002 and Mr Hills passed away 2 years later. ISBN 0-304-36216-6

Jerry

Airbrushler 05-21-2011 08:29 PM

this place seems to have a lot of books has anyone heard of them or ordered from them
www.greatmodels.com

Stince 06-06-2011 05:58 PM

Commander Bob,

Just wanted to say thanks for recommending DeathTraps. Just started reading it. Really liking it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif!
Thanks again.

thecommander 06-06-2011 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Stince

Commander Bob,

Just wanted to say thanks for recommending DeathTraps. Just started reading it. Really liking it [img][/img]!
Thanks again.

I loved it too. I'm glad I could help you out. I read it in one weekend I think...Let me know when you are ready and I'll loan you my Tigers in the Mud by Otto Carius.