Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Wild Hare Extra 260 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Three
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wild Hare Extra 260 Pictures

airborneSGT.........I had 6 volt nimh sub C 2600's in mind(2 receiver packs) but now I'll have to find out what they weigh. What are you using?....It would help if I can find carbon fiber gear that's close to the same size as the aluminum gear.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:57 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

I made a silly mistake with my DA 100, so its back to DA for some work. Might be just fine, but they said to send it in to be on the safe side. Ok I will try to answer as many questions as possible.

First off, even with my engine not 100% I was able to hover easily at half throttle, knife edge at about 1/4 throttle and yes high alfa knife edge. I dont setup my plane for IMAC, I setup my plane to 3D really well. Sure I could ease up on all rates or use triple rates but I like to fly 3D. Dont get me wrong though, this plane flys very light and very precise on low rates. Holds its lines very well. So far the two others I have let fly it (one is a big IMAC and the other flys mainly electric) both loved it and said it flys so light.

From my maiden flight, I needed NO corrections on the TX to get hands off. My CG being on the recommended point is probably the forward end of the range. I will begin moving it rearward slowly. For now I added some weight to the tail gear. Once I get my engine back from DA its a simple matter of moving my ignition battery slightly rearward.

Using a DA 100, and the setup listed in this post, you can balance easily. You might even do well with my same seutp, but using two of the 4800mah Lithium Ions mounted toward the rear and one 2800 Lithium Ion up on the motorbox.

Use two servos for the wings!! The Ailerons are long and it would probably be too much strain on a single point for just one servo.

The cowl will come off tonight to get my stand off length. I will also take pictures of the standoffs.

My unbiased opinion about this plane is that it flys very light, very precise, and 3D's very easy. Within a couple flights I was doing low knife edges, hi alfa knife edges, snaps, hovers, harriers, you name it! Most flights with my DA 100 happening between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle.

Once the engine gets back I should get some sweet really low hover pictures. I think at this point the only think I am not sure about is smoke.

CF gear will be mounted up this week.

How much do those battery packs weigh?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

AirborneGT,

How were the harriers? Was there much wing rock, or was the plane rock solid?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 05-09-2005, 10:58 PM
dgfick
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Tom, you got any video of the 260 available for download????
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I did have a video. The plane is new and so far nobody has seen fit to shoot one.

Anyone??

TF
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
airborneSGT

Tom I promise to get a video as soon as my DA gets back to me Maybe I will put some music with it and all. The harriers were solid and like I said you can just float the plane on in because it flys so light. This will also be dependent on your setup. I took sometime to make sure I had the lightest gear. The DA is on the heavy side of engines, so this plane would probably be even more like a feather with either the BME or the ZDZ. I was willing to sacrifice though for the DA. Still like I said the plane flys so very light. You will like how slowly you can fly and still do knife edges and the like. The high alpha knife edges are fun. On high rates it will knife edge loop no problem.

I think I am just going to have to shoot a video so you all get the idea. The plane makes me looke like a much better pilot

Old 05-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Bobby Folsom

AirborneSGT, what was the "silly mistake" that you made with your DA 100 - if you don't mind my asking because I don't want to make the same mistake with mine!!

Bobby
Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM
rctom

He mixed lawnboy ashless at 100-1. I doubt that he hurt anything.

TF
Old 05-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Three

airborneSGT............I don't know what the batteries weigh..yet. Where did you get the carbon fiber gear?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Bobby Folsom

Thanks Tom. You're probably correct. I had a plane with a Brison 3.2 on it that would fly almost exactly 4 minutes before it quit - in flight. Adjusted, adjusted and adjusted the needles. Didn't help. After about 10 flights, I realized the engine was getting so hot it leaned out and quit. That's about 20 minutes of hot-running. Didn't hurt the engine at all. I just put a baffle in the front cowl, and it ran great through the whole tank and ran good until I sold the plane.

Bobby
Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
airborneSGT

The word is out! Yeah I made a silly mistake. Hopefully get it back this week or latest early next. Mean time I guess I will just clean up the plane and play around with the CG. Probably also put on the CF gear that I have for it.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Easy does it
Banned

I hate to disagree with a member of the armed forces, but the DA100 is too heavy and too overpowered for this plane,I pulled mine after the first 25 flights and put a 3w 75 in it. It can still do everything no problems perhaps even a little better in hovers and harriers especially rolling harriers you can check out my set up posts on an earlier thread 260 build up report I got the cg 3.5" with the DA with everything in the tail and a homemade battery tray so far back in the fuse, that to change batteries I had to cut the covering off. If you have not yet bought a motor I would strongly suggest a 75 or 80. If you do use the 100 make sure that there is glue under the aluminum angle gear mounts. They seem to have missed it on mine, one rough landing, (because it does not float in) not with the 100 and I managed to tear the bottom right out of the plane. The gear plate was dry (no glue only the 4 screws) All is well now though and with the cg at just a tad over 4" it now flies like a dream, in fact I may move it back a touch more. As far as the carbon gear goes I would go to Troy built. Now I am no beginner to planes I have let other pilots at my field fly this plane and the story was the same too heavy and overpowered,if Sarge is floating in and does not think the plane is well overpowered then I guess I might as well find another hobby beecause I must have screwed up royally somewhere and my flying skills must be total c$%& JUST MY OPINION of course.
All that being said Tom did it again with this bird with the (BABY) 75 in it I am relly pleased with it except that the 260 was built with straight leg gear (TOM) and the aluminum from Taiwan is total C$#% I put carbon gear on it but the wheel snapped off in the trailer (bad batch was the reply I got) so now I have aluminum from a good old American company on the way.
I am of the opinion that the landing gear is the only short fall with these planes, way too soft, I would not mind paying a few dollars more for some real aluminum. Again just my opinion. Good luck to you with your 260's (fly it like you stole it ! )
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
airborneSGT

Just remember 32:1 with lawn boy ashless and you will be ok...lol. For whatever reason I did call and ask and they said 100:1 on Lawnboy Ashless. They probably thought I meant Amsoil or something. Anyways I am human and therefore can make mistakes.

Good thing it was just my model plane engine and not when I jumped out of a plane or shooting guns...lol.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:16 PM
rctom

I am relly pleased with it except that the 260 was built with straight leg gear

This one sure looks like a bowed gear to me. And the aluminum brackets are not glued to the gear plate, it would do no good since aluminum is not porous and the glue wouldn't stick to them.

TF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35115.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	269672  
Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

Tom, is the bule scheme available @ the special price or just the red.

thanks,

epc.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Easy does it
Banned

The wood not the aluminum (I am not that stupid) or am I? OK so you found one to make your model of look around at 260's on the web and I bet you will have a tough time finding another with bowed gear, Come on Tom we can't kiss up all the time don't take offense. If we cannot make suggestions how can you judge your product, I bet I have spent a small fortune with you this year,and I stand by what I said your aluminum is c#$% but overall you have a great product or I would not own 4 of them would I ? (all with aftermarket landing gear of course)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:41 PM
airborneSGT

Wow so much anger over a model (toy) airplane. I really am not worried about scale details; flying is what matters to me. I dont slam my plane on the ground, but my field is bumpy and thus far the stock gear has held up just fine. I am probably going to use the 35% Carden edge graphtec gear. Not all too sure about that though. I have heard some bad things about their gear.

I am sure things could be perfect if you took the time, energy, and money to make it that way. Personally I care more about flying and having fun which I think is what this hobby is all about.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Easy does it
Banned

Wow Sarge, I did not detect any anger in either of my posts. You know though it does seem a little funny that whenever someone differs with the mainstream a reply like yours comes up, this is what I do for fun and figured I would point out a few things that I have come across.Just because they do not tally with your experiences does not make me angry. Although you did a good job of pissing me off now though. I only own Wild Hare planes, love em does'nt mean I have to keep quiet about problems I have found. If I was a better builder I would have checked and added glue during the build it was something that I learned. I also have the Special, and Edge both sets of gear were extremely soft and when you try to straighten them they only got worse, maybe I am the only one with this problem, (but I doubt it)
Old 05-10-2005, 09:52 PM
rctom

Back off guys, noone was displaying anger, we all just write with different styles.

To the best of my knowledge there were only 3 Extra 260s ever built, the one I showed you and the one in the Smithsonian both have bowed gears. I don't know where the third one is. Maybe some of the models have straight legs but I know of no full scale 260 that is not bowed. If you can direct me to a photo of one with straight legs I would be interested to see it.

That's my story and i'm stickin' to it.

TF
Old 05-10-2005, 10:27 PM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

Tom:

Check post #40 and let me know,

thanks,

epc.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Laserdude
My Feedback: (3)

Actually the gear on Patty's 260 was straight. I have pictures that I took of Patty's 260 at the US Nationals in Fon du lac (SP) WI in the early 90's. That plane has gear on it that extends straight out from the fuse and then bends and then is straight. Sorry it is kinda hard to describe. The gear as shown on the H9 27% is very close to the pictures I have. At some time cuffs were added to the gear at the fuse and it kinda makes the legs look curved. I also have a photo pack from scale model research and they show the gear as described. I don't have a scanner to use but I took digital pictures of my pictures, sorry about the quality.

Tom, take a close look at the wing location of the plane in the picture you posted. That is the 300S, not the 260.

[img][/img]
Old 05-11-2005, 07:02 AM
rctom

You are absolutely right, that is the 300S and not the white tail 260, I stand corrected.

Regarding the gear, the gear is curved at the top just outside the fuse and basically straight after it exits the little pant thingy at the top, so we're all correct. It is different from what we supply, but communicating the subtle difference has been difficult.

TF
Old 05-11-2005, 07:19 AM
rctom

We are out of blue 260s and there are none in the next group. It will have some in red, some in yellow, and a few Patty Wagstaff blue/white.

TF
Old 05-11-2005, 07:25 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Are they going to be all yellow, or yellow and white?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:15 AM
rctom

Same color scheme, just replace the red with cub yellow.

Where's that guy who was re-coloring our planes, we could use him now to change red to yellow.

TF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.