Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

PROGRESS ON MY BABY EDGE 540

Old 05-07-2006, 09:34 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PROGRESS ON MY BABY EDGE 540

Try some 5% nitro...That will probly cure your heating issues.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Brunito
My Feedback: (10)

Guys good morning !!!!
I was triying too put togther mu baby edge. I can' find my elevators servo holes on the fuselage is anybody have a picture of the rigth pleace please.

Thanks in advance for all your sugestions
Old 05-08-2006, 10:24 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

We tried 5% Nitro and still ran hot. The mounting holes for the elevator servos are just a head of the leading edge of the horizontal stab. On the left side it's right in the area of the top black side stripe, on the right side it's located in the area of the lower black stripe on the side of the fuse. The servo holes are staggered so when you find one servo hole, look inside the servo hole and you will see the cut out for it inside the fuse. There is also a servo hole for the rudder but that is lower than the servo on the right side of the fuse. Remember you right and left on the plane is as If you were sitting in the plane facing forward.
The engine guys I talked to at the club think that the engine is not building crank case pressure, causing the engine to over heat. My guess there is a leak or crack in the engine casing somewhere.
NEDYOB
Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Brunito

Nedyob thanks a lot
Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 PM
nedyob

Update on my Baby Edge 540

I called Hobby Services about my O.S. 1.60 engine, they told me the casing had a small hair line crack along the bottom of the engine casing. When the engine would start the engine would heat up and the crack would widen and the crank case would loose pressure.
It is unknown to me how the engine casing got cracked, I bout it used from a friend who only broke it in. Well anyway, Hobby Services will send me a new O.S. 1.60 for about $150.00, so I took them up on there offer. They are saying it may be a flaw i the casting or could have happened when the motor had new baring reinstalled a year ago or so when I had them put in.
Anyway, my Baby Edge is all set and ready to go, It balanced in at 4 1/2 inches behind the wings leading edge. So hopefully I will get a maiden flight in in the next few weeks. First, I want to get the engine broke in correctly.
NEDYOB
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone, anywhere, ever bought a used engine where the seller did not say "it's only got a couple gallons, just broken in"?

TF
Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
nedyob

Hi Tom,
In answering to your post, I guess that would be me...... anyway the OS 1.60 FX I sent you was in fact brand new and never run.
Now how many people have bought engines sight unseen when they say "This engine has never seen a drop of fuel.
Just goes to show, we have all been sucked into all those one liners, and are always looking for a good deal.
Will keep you posted on the maiden flight, when and if it ever gets here.
NEDYOB
Old 05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
rctom

I know yours was new, and I was really just kidding around. I love that engine (OS 1.60).

I sell used engines all the time that were used to test 1 plane, so when I say it I know it's true. But I have never heard of anyone who says "I bought an engine used but the seller said it had been run hard and often and good luck with it". Maybe it happens, who knows.

TF
Old 05-18-2006, 05:30 PM
nedyob

Hi Tom,
I know you were kidding around, I just threw that in. I'm just pressed for time until the first of June because I wanted to have the Baby Edge flying by now and have its maiden flight by now.
Everything went together well and no complaints here on the Wild Hare Edge 540 1.20. Looks like you have a diamond in the rough here with this plane. Hope you keep this kite around for a while.
Tom, is there any advise you might have when doing the maiden flight?
NEDYOB
Old 05-22-2006, 09:57 PM
wings19

Hey guys I am trying to decide if this plane is going to fit in my car... I have a Chrysler 300C and I think I can fit it with the back seats folded down. The fuselage is my only concern. Can anyone tell me how tall it is sitting on the ground from the ground to the top or the vertical stab and also from the ground to the tallest point in the front like above the main landing gear? This height is the only thing I need to know before I buy it because I want it bad I need to make sure the trunk will close and it will fit through the opening where the seats fold down. Thanks guys!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

I can fit a 28% Edge in my Honda Accord. It is about 85 inches long with spinner. The Vert stab is pretty tall. I can fit a CAP232 120 in there easily. But that 28% is a little tight.

I bet that Edge 120 will fit in that 300C easily. You can put the plane's fuse diagonally with the nose behind you and the tail can go in the front passenger seat. You can prop the tail up in the front passenger seat with a cardboard box or something if you need to. My 28% Edge goes just the opposite. The main gear wheels go on the front passenger seat, the tail rests up against the back seat behind me. In both cases the wing halves fit in the trunk.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:45 AM
nedyob

Hello All,
I got my new O.S.1.60 back from Hobby Services and have it installed in the Edge 540, Will maiden by next monday. Will let you know how it goes.
NEDYOB
Old 06-10-2006, 08:03 AM
nedyob

Hi there,
Well I just returned from a week of flying my WH Baby Edge 540 and man was it ausome. The plane flew great and didn't take long to get use too. The only set back was breaking in the new O.S. 1.60. When that was complete, I was able to consentrate on setting up the plane to my flying style.
The loops, rolls, avelanches, and other manuvers were outstanding, and the plane did not take long to get use too. I've put on maybe 30 flights this past week and look foward to competing with this plane.
Thank you Tom for marketing an outstanding combination, I am very satisfied with my WH EDGE 540.
NEDYOB
Old 06-10-2006, 09:22 AM
tnorris

Hello all,

WOW!!!! I can tell from reading this, that I am glad I bought a baby Edge. Mine is about 90% complete. I still need to make the control rod for the rudder servo, which is in the tail because of my engine choice. I also need to screw down the canopy (or glue) install wheel pants and I should be ready to go. With any luck, I will get to fly it tomorrow. Just for info, I will be flying this plane with a Brillelli 40cc with CH electronic ignition on a 20 X 8 Top Flight prop which will be replaced with a MSC 20 X 8 when it get here.

I will post some pre-flight pics of my setup soon.

OK, now I need to go finish my plane

Travis
Old 06-21-2006, 02:57 PM
nedyob

Hi All,
I returned from my Advanced Aerobatic's school about two weeks ago with my WH Edge 540. When I got to the school my Edge had not been flown yet. My instructor was very inpressed with my WH Edge 540 set up. The only issue we had was that the OS 1.60 took a while to break in, so we ran it pretty ritch for the first two days. By the third & fourth day my OS 1.60 was running perfectly and the plane flew flawlessly. It performed cuban, half cubans, hammer heads, Humpty's, reverse humpty's, lay down humpty's, 3 pull humpty's,outside/ inside loops, cross overs, slow rolls, inside/outside snaps with great authority. Point the WH Edge 540 where you want it to go and it follows like a well trained dog. My Instructor strongly suggested that when I return to the flight school in the future, I am to bring my WH Edge 540.
This past weekend I flew at another clubs Fathers Day Fun Fly and a lot of people were very inpressed with my WH Edge 540 and how it performed.
Well that my update for now, give me a few more weeks of flying and I will check back with you all on it performance.
NEDYOB
Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Brunito

Hey Guys how are you? I have a Wild Hare Baby Edge for a year now and for one thing or another never have time to put togheter anyway I am really entusiatic with the plane now but I have a problem I try to put a 3W 24 on it and I have a lot problems with first I ordered the standoff out guy in Canada and I just receive them and find out the the standoff it will interfere with one side of the carburator is anybody has some can od idea to put one of those engines on this plane I really need help with please ??
the engine came from another plane the a frined of mine sold me the was a 3W Xtra-fun the plane was alright but i buy it because the engine any way that plane comes with Plasitc mount that replace the firewall box that came on the baby edge. The cowl of the extrafun is smaller than the baby edge so I am and a really confused area so please if is anybody can help me I will apreciated. by the way this is my first gas plane the i put togheter.
Thanks in advance for all your sugesstions