Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

50cc Edge V2 has landed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:24 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 50cc Edge V2 has landed

The gear that almost all online stores are offering is the gear for the old version extra and edge so we have to find a set of gears that are similar in size to the new version and hopefully lose an oz or 2.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

TNT Landing gear will make gear out of any thickness material you want, typically 3/16 " and 1/4". The stock gear is only 1/8" and while attractive and light, will not withstand much abuse. I suspect the 1/4" would be too heavy, so a 3/16" made from heat treated aluminum should be adequate. I had stock gear on a 29% Aeroworks Edge and it was too soft so got a 1/4" from TNT which was bullet proof. The AW Edge has a thin and untapered profile. Once TNT gets the pattern they will offer it on their website catalog.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Graph Tech is working on a CF gear for these planes now.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

Were they the supplier of your previous CF gear? I recall some discussions about delamination. A friend here has a WH 100cc Extra and he was offerred a refund for his gear which seems to be very fair.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't believe that W/H has to date marketed any C/F gear sets under the W/H label. Sometime back there were fiberglass sets that worked out pretty well, but obtaining the product was kind of hit or miss. For the 50cc class planes they were pretty light and worked out well, but for the larger planes, 35% say, they did not weigh any less than the stock gear.

Graphtec has always had a return policy when it came to delaminated gear, but as in anything else destructive abuse is not covered.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:06 AM
rctom

Pat is correct, Wild Hare has never sold a CF gear. I am just letting you know that there will be a source for the proper gears very soon.

TF
Old 02-11-2007, 10:57 AM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

Muchs gracias to both of you. I was unclear on what the composite gear issue was. I have to confess that I have an occasional landing that might be classified as "destructive" relative to the landing gear! Our grass field has a lot of bumps in it (that's my story and I'm sticking with it!)
Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 AM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

New subject, I found the rudder servo tray (pull/pull) to be a bit undersized for the JR 8611. It was just a little short in both length and width. Normally not a problem, but it is tough to enlarge with a hobby knife with the webbing in place. It took me some time, but I was able to enlarge it without breaking the webbing which is quite delicate. It was more of a scraping action than a cutting action. I didn't want to risk sticking my Dremel down there for fear of making it too large, especially on the length.

Also, I chose to use the lower rudder servo trays in the aft fuse for elevator (normally used for rudder push/pull). With the servo arm end of the servo facing aft and by mounting the servo arm upward I was able to get a perfectly aligned geometry using a 2 1/2" Hgr 9 Pro Link and Dubro HD horn set with a ball link on the servo arm. A nice short and tight linkage. Might have achieved the same effect using the upper servo trays and facing the servo arm downward.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:39 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Pat,

Are you going with a Brison 3.2 in your new Edge?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:50 AM
sapca

Hi,

In the manual there is notting abouth the CG.

Any sugestions ???

No I have make him level at 4,5 inch from the leading edge of the wing,bud the fueltank is in front of the CG and when I fil the tank he is verry nose havy.

Regards

Sapca
Old 02-17-2007, 07:46 AM
macg

Hello,
My manual on the V2 recommends the CG be at 5-5 1/2" behind leading edge of wing!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:44 AM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

SAPCA -

The CG (and other very useful info) was on page three of the Addendum. The CG should be 12.6 cm (5 inches) back from the extreme leading edge, measured anywhere along the span. This is the starting point, and you can move the CG aft another 1.3 cm (5.5 inches) if you prefer. If you didn't get the Addendum send me an email ([email protected]) and I can scan it to PDF and send it to you.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Captain Randy

Finally finished! I did not post a lot of the build because others have done an excellent job of that with the new Extra and this plane is very similar. I did try to post things that I thought needed to be mentioned. One thing I did differently was I mounted my fuel tank under the tray (see picture.) Anyway, I did not run into any problems. This plane goes together like it is supposed to.

I did take two evenings and programmed the Hitec servos with the programmer and protractor. I hope that pays off. I installed three 2600 mah lithium ion batteries with three regulators and pin switches. With the batteries up front it balanced at 5 and 3/8th inches. I also used a carbon fiber spinner. All up weight………..16 Pounds 8 ounces !!!!

I am dying to fly it, but the winds today were 20 mph with 30 mph gusts [:@]. Maybe tomorrow. If I can answer any questions let me know. As soon as I fly it, I’ll post a report and hopefully a video.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83383.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	627607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25100.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	627608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88501.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	627609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37043.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	627610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gs94367.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	627611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lc47494.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	627612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb58710.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	627613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu68801.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	627614  

Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 PM
RC_DESI
My Feedback: (44)

Congrats, plane looks great..
Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Tired Old Man

Ben,

Sorry to be so long in getting back to this thread. I'm not using the Brison this time. Instead I installed a new Taurus 52. With the exception of the spark plug cap it fits entirely withing the cowl. The radial mounting plate is a little different to work with but spreads the torque load of the engine on the firewall pretty well. Only a 7/8" spacer plate required to bring the prop hub out the correct distance.

They're some distinct differences between the Brison and the Taurus, but the Taurus should work out very well if I do everything else right. I keep meaning to take some pic of the Taurus installation and post them but I keep getting side tracked.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 PM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

I have completed mine also, it came out 15.6 pounds with three 1650 mah 4.8V packs. I used JR 8611As on the ailerons and rudder, Hitec 5925MG on the elevators. Engine is DA50 with a Slimline Pitts (no smoke) muffler, MSC 22-8 prop with Dave Brown spinner. Fuel tank is Dubro 20 oz. Radio gear is Futaba 9C on PCM with ailerons and elevators mixed (no servo programming or reversal). It balanced at 5 1/2" with the ignition pack on the motor box and the radio packs on top of the fuel tank. No ballast.

First flight was uneventful, required only three "beeps" of nose up trim. Up and down lines are straight, knife edge appears to be neutral (little if any tucking). Inverted requires only a breath of nose down stick force. The stall is a non-event, it mushes forward until the nose drops much like a trainer. The airplane is controllable up to and through the stall. Landing speed is very slow with no tip stall tendencies. No tendency to snap out of an abrupt elevator (wall) movement. I am not an extreme flight pilot so am probably not the best source of judging the flight characteristics. However, I will say that this aircraft is considerably better than the Aeroworks 29% Edge (old design builders kit) it replaces.

I remain concerned about the flexibility of the stock gear and have a 3/16" thick 6061 T6 gear coming from TNT Landing Gear. Tom from TNT has the pattern and the gear is now available from them. I am not a big fan of composite gear, so will pass on the upcoming opportunity to use the carbon fiber gear being developed by Graphtex. I also like to keep things simple, so I use a single receiver with dual batteries and switches, no power buss, no Lithium batteries and regulators. Anyone with a reliability engineering background understands the concept of simplicity.

No question about it, this aircraft is a real winner and far outdistances the competition on value. I have been comparing notes with a gentleman from Belgium and we totally agree on this.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Tired Old Man

ORIGINAL: R.J. Rose Ocala FL
No question about it, this aircraft is a real winner and far outdistances the competition on value. I have been comparing notes with a gentleman from Belgium and we totally agree on this.
What you have noted here has been the situation with Wild Hare for quite a long time. Actually from the very beginning. The construction quality and flight abilities of all W/H the planes are generally well above most all the others that cost A LOT more. Better still, Wild Hare planes are very easy to assemble and difficult to do wrong. Even easier to fly. That cannot be said for some others. Some people are in a constant quest for the lightest plane that can be obtained, but forget that the manner in which the plane flies is what it's all about. Even when they weighed more the Wild Hare planes always performed extremely well, and were truly outstanding in the hands of outstanding fliers. In the long run the W/H line of planes has made a lot of people, myself included, look a lot better than they are simply because they fly so well and do exactly what the operator tells them to do.

With the release of the new and lighter Version II of the Edge and the Extra there should be a lot of people at the fields with the expensive planes wishing they had gone with the Wild Hare instead. This should prove to be a very interesting flying season with respects to the kit comparisons that are bound to occur.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 AM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: R.J. Rose Ocala FL

I have completed mine also, it came out 15.6 pounds with three 1650 mah 4.8V packs. I used JR 8611As on the ailerons and rudder, Hitec 5925MG on the elevators. Engine is DA50 with a Slimline Pitts (no smoke) muffler, MSC 22-8 prop with Dave Brown spinner. Fuel tank is Dubro 20 oz. Radio gear is Futaba 9C on PCM with ailerons and elevators mixed (no servo programming or reversal). It balanced at 5 1/2" with the ignition pack on the motor box and the radio packs on top of the fuel tank. No ballast.

First flight was uneventful, required only three "beeps" of nose up trim. Up and down lines are straight, knife edge appears to be neutral (little if any tucking). Inverted requires only a breath of nose down stick force. The stall is a non-event, it mushes forward until the nose drops much like a trainer. The airplane is controllable up to and through the stall. Landing speed is very slow with no tip stall tendencies. No tendency to snap out of an abrupt elevator (wall) movement. I am not an extreme flight pilot so am probably not the best source of judging the flight characteristics. However, I will say that this aircraft is considerably better than the Aeroworks 29% Edge (old design builders kit) it replaces.

I remain concerned about the flexibility of the stock gear and have a 3/16" thick 6061 T6 gear coming from TNT Landing Gear. Tom from TNT has the pattern and the gear is now available from them. I am not a big fan of composite gear, so will pass on the upcoming opportunity to use the carbon fiber gear being developed by Graphtex. I also like to keep things simple, so I use a single receiver with dual batteries and switches, no power buss, no Lithium batteries and regulators. Anyone with a reliability engineering background understands the concept of simplicity.

My gear has held up really well there was absolutely no probs on mine till i let a couple friends fly it. I let people fly my bird all the time if i believe they can fly. A couple of my close friend flew it and landed a little hard the gear spread a little bit each time i put my foot beside one wheel and they put one of their feet next to the other wheel and squeezed the gear back into the correct shape it was only a couple inches no biggie. The plane i flew my self about 5 times since that and the gear is the same as when i left it. I like The CF gear and when i find a gear thats the same shape as these new versions gear ill get one, that is if its not heavier, but until then i'm not worried about the gear maintaining its shape.

Edit opps i am talking about my 50cc Extra 300
Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Captain Randy,
Great looking plane. I really like your fuel tank installation. What is the black material you used for the engine cutout?
Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Captain Randy

The trim is Fourmost U-Trim Large 1/4" (link below)

I got it from Tower Hobbies. I have always used it because it fits perfectly.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXG853

Old 02-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Captain Randy

I got to fly it twice today..what a palne! Didn't have to trim anything. On low rates it felt like a big trainer. Knife edge did not pitch at all and while holding only rudder, it just wanted to slightly roll out. Inverted was no different than right side up. Wish I had something negative to say so I would sound objective and credible, but I could find nothing but oohs and aahs. No issues with the landing gear either. I could have flown it more, but with a new plane I always fly it a couple times, take it home and go over everything. Everything checked out "A OK" so next time I'll wring it out. The video was not worth posting, just some boring ordinary flying.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 AM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

Like Randy I flew mine and took it home to check it out - no problems. Relative to the gear issue, I don't know if it will become an issue or not. Flatland Mike, above, refers to his Extra which has the bowed (stiffer) gear. I have a 3/16" gear coming from TNT but will use the stock 1/8" until it becomes a problem. I don't like breaking props from a decent but imperfect landing on our grass field that has some bumps in it. I notice when I drag the airplane backward into the pits that the gear splays outward a lot. Not so pushing it forward. There is a bit of toe in on the wheels, don't know if that was intentional, but that also tends to keep the gear straight moving forward (also aggrevates the spreading problem when pulling it backward).

Some of the black trim on the wing bubbled in the sun, but otherwise the covering seemed to hold up well in the warm Florida sun. I went over it all before flying, but I suspect that this will be an ongoing issue.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Captain Randy

Good note R.J. When I initially went over the covering I noticed that the black was way more sensitive to heat than the other colors. In fact when I hit it with the heat gun it deformed its shape a bit. After that I was careful not to over heat the other black places.

The landing gear is much like that on the WH YAK.
In the YAK build thread Ken Bryant posted "gear hint: With my stock gear I was starting to have it flatten out on some rougher landings. So what I did was bow the gear slightly inward and now it's not flattening out at all."
I took his advice with my YAK and I never had an issue with the gear, even after some less than perfect landings. I may try this on the Edge if I notice it flattening out.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Tired Old Man

That's because the black is not Ultracote. I noticed this on mine as well when the temperature used to set all the other edges was too much for the black. For some reason the maker used Chinacoat for the black. At least for the bottom stiping at the tail. I haven't looked real close at the bottom of the main wing. Probably because it does not bubble when applied at low temperatures. Unfortuantely it does not like to be re-shrunk.

Use a temp of 225 degrees of less on the black Chinacoat and make sure you use a sock on the iron.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Greg Cothern
My Feedback: (8)

For the gear trying to flatten out on less than perfect landings one could put a spring and some pull-pull cable from the axle to the fuse mounting point.. This will allow some flex but too much to splay the gear out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.