Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Drilling carbon fibre

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM
aeroboy1293

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilling carbon fibre

Hi all, I've just taken delivery of some excellent quality Graphtech RC Carbon fibre U/C and tail wheel for my extra 300 28%, my question is: what is the best practice for drilling it cleanly.
I had to import it into the UK and, as such cost me a pretty penny so I don't want to mess it up.
My plane is now 3 years old and is having a mid life update including a re-cover following the lines of Steve Jones's 2008 red bull racer, sweeeeeet as. If any are interested I'll post some pic's when finnished.

James.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM
tankertoad

Default RE: Drilling carbon fibre

I don't have a drill press, so I use a cordless drill and usually start with a smaller pilot hole to ensure my bit is centered and straight. I'll step it up to the correct size after that. Use a good quality bit.
Anytime you are drilling/cutting carbon fiber, be very carefull with the dust and shavings. Wear eye protection and a dust mask. Carbon shavings are NOT something you want in your eyes or lungs...way worse than wood or fiberglass.
I have a graphtec main gear and tail gear on my 28% and they are awesome!
Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

If using a hand held drill the bit will tend to pull into the hole and dig too deep. This will cause fraying and cracking around the hole.
A drill press with a good sharp bit is the way to go. Be sure to clamp the gear down before drilling.
An option is to start a small hole and follow with a carbide Dremel bit.
Either way after drilling put a drop of CA. in each hole and redrill.
Have a vacume/shopvac running to gather the dust as you work.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Ruski31

I just got L/G and a spinner for my 35% Edge from Graphtech, took over 6 weeks but it was worth the wait really nice and super light. I try to use real sharp bits and a high speed drill and very light pressure so the bit doesn't rip up the back side of the part.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:57 AM
aeroboy1293

Right then, armed with some new found knowledge, I'll give it a go. I have access to a pillar drill and some nice sharp drill bits. Wish me luck.

Oh and, even at 3 years old my bunny still kicks ass at the field, attracting much attention, I only wish I could have another one !!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Ruski31

One other note, try to back up your part with some real hard wood or plastic or even aluminum so when the drill starts to exit the otherside it doesn't push the fibers away from the drill. You should clamp the "back up" in place this way you should get a clean exit hole. If you try to just hold it with your hand it will push away.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:03 AM
aeroboy1293

Cheers for that one. That's something I had not thought about and, the last thing I want to do is splinter the fibres and ruin the whole thing.
That's why I love these forums, there's a whole wealth of information from experienced modellers that are willing to offer their help and advice. I'll let you know how I get on but, it won't be for a few more days.