Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fiber weight savings measurements?

Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Carbon Fiber weight savings measurements?

Old 04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
jsallade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber weight savings measurements?

Hi all,
Has anyone weighed each component (Main Gear, Wing tube and Tail Wheel) and could post the weight of the metal versus CF version of each? I'm looking at these for a 50cc model so those are the one's I'm interested in. I'm not wild about CF mains but the wing tube would be nice and wouldn't change balance... just wondering how much each piece would save me in weight. TNX

Jack
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 AM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Carbon Fiber weight savings measurements?

LG saves about 8 oz., wing tube about 4 oz. stab tube almost nothing.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Jonathan Ott
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're wrong Tom...a CF stab tube makes your wallet lighter

sorry, bad joke, just feeling a little cooped up today. Windowless cubicle...hell, I don't even know if it is actually daylight outside!

Jon
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jsallade

Hi all,
Has anyone weighed each component (Main Gear, Wing tube and Tail Wheel) and could post the weight of the metal versus CF version of each? I'm looking at these for a 50cc model so those are the one's I'm interested in. I'm not wild about CF mains but the wing tube would be nice and wouldn't change balance... just wondering how much each piece would save me in weight. TNX

Jack
If you ever needed to move the box or change the distance of the firewall for some reason, consider using a carbon/balsa sandwich for the 50 cc engine. I vacuum laminate my custom firewalls....that is, I set up a balsa blank with hard points intalled for the stand offs, and then laminate a layer of 3K carbon cloth on both sides. I use epoxy laminating resin for this, and vacuum pack the firewall in a FoodSaver vacuum bag. Amazingly strong and light solution that will save you at least 3 ozs and maybe more depending on the size you are replacing. Just did this to the EF Extra 30 cc...from 86 grams to 30 grams (2 ozs)

MattK