Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic > WildHare R/C Support
Reload this Page >

Servos for WildHare Edge 540T 73" 25% (baby edge?)

Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Servos for WildHare Edge 540T 73" 25% (baby edge?)

Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 AM
KamikazeParanoia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos for WildHare Edge 540T 73" 25% (baby edge?)

Hi everyone, i have a Wild Hare Edge 540T (V1 i think) and was wondering what servos i should use for extreme 3D flight?
How much torque will i need for each aileron, each elevator half and the rudder? and what speed should i aim for?
I was thinking Hitec digital metal gear servos however i have since found Savox, has anyone had any experience with them?
I was hoping to spend < £40 per servo if possible/safe

What about 4 of these (10.5kg/0.19sec) for aileron/elevator:

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...nCode=SC0252MG

And one of these (16kg/0.18sec) for the rudder?:

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...ManCode=SC0251

Thanks everyone
Old 05-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Crash N. Burn

Default RE: Servos for WildHare Edge 540T 73

I have the 73" Baby Extra and I have the JR DS821 servos for the elevator and ailerons and a JR 8611a for the rudder. I don't fly much 3D but the system seems very strong and responsive on 6 volts.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any experience with Savox servos but the torque listed is good enough for your plane. The speed of the servos will be OK for sport flying but will be a bit slow for serious 3D work, IMHO. I look for speeds in the .12s/60deg range or faster for 3D.

When I was trying to learn to hover, an experienced 3D pilot called attention to my servos being somewhat slow and suggested that I try faster ones. I took that advice and was hovering literally the next day. It made that much difference. Before the change I could never seem to keep up with the plane and little oscillations just tended to keep getting bigger until I would fall out of the hover. It was the lag in servo movement that was causing me to fall behind.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 AM
KamikazeParanoia

Thanks guys, very informative, I will get some faster Hitec servos, shame about the price but it will be worth it