RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   WildHare R/C Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/)
-   -   LR-1 Pylon racer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/wildhare-r-c-support-355/2970522-lr-1-pylon-racer.html)

Airbike 05-13-2005 02:06 AM

LR-1 Pylon racer

Hi Tom, I know this is not giant scale related but it is Wildhare Support related. I know you mentioned it in one of the threads, but I can't find it.

Can you post a little more info on this racer. I didn't see anything on your site about this other than there are a few available.

Any pics? Specs? color schemes available? Price?

Sometimes need a change of pace from 3D and pattern. I think I got bit by the speed bug.

Thanks
Dan

rctom 05-13-2005 06:48 AM

RE: LR-1 Pylon racer

1 Attachment(s)

Here are a couple photos, the transmitter is next to the plane to give it some perspective.

It's all composite, painted in the mold, built like our Sukhoi. The fuse is fiberglass, wing is fiberglass/balsa sandwich. The plane as it comes out of the box weighs about 18 oz.

It can be used with .15-.25 size glow engines or electric. Uses 3 or 4 HS81MG servos (or similar). There is a solid rudder as it comes out of the box, but you can cut one side of it and the other side has a kevlar hinge to make the rudder functional. Ailerins are top hinged.

It can go together in a few hours, is stable and very easy to fly and it is FAST. With an OS .25 FX it compares favorably to a Viper (quickee 500) with a Rossi 40.

I have them in 3 color schemes, the red yellow shown, red/white/black, and white/blue.

TF

Airbike 05-13-2005 10:17 PM

Thanks Tom,

Looks good to me.

I just picked up a small (and I mean small) pocket rocket electric pylon racer that was recently clocked at 160 (not flown by me...I'll have to work my way up the speed ladder like I worked my way down the 3D altitude ladder).

Anyways, do you have the other specs handy? Span and wingarea? and how much$?

Do you think an OS 32 SX will fit or is the 25 pretty much max due to weight, balance or space?

Ken Bryant 05-13-2005 11:16 PM

Tom, you have those in stock? How much?

rctom 05-14-2005 10:17 AM

Yes, $169 including all the hardware. Ver nice little plane, very fast. I hope to get more documentation and photos soon, but since it's so simple I never got around to writing a manual, just a "do's and dont's" list.

TF

Airbike 05-16-2005 07:54 PM

Wildhare breeding wild....

I went from just one (28% Extra 300LX) to four Hares in one morning.

Got a pair of LR-1's coming from Tom and picked up an Extra 260 w/a new DA100 this morning from an RCU ad.

I originally wanted the Extra 260 for my ZDZ80 but the DA100 is already mounted (Big DA sticker on the cowl too). Good deals come around once in a while!!

This summer looks like fun!!

The Bad thing is that once I have backups in the hangar, the 3Ding gets lower and lower:D

Tom, would you happen to have the manual for the Extra 260 as a download from your site?

Dan

rctom 05-16-2005 08:21 PM

Send me an email I will reply with the manual.

[email protected]

TF

mstroh3961 05-16-2005 09:55 PM

[X(][X(][X(]going to need some birth control in your hutch...I mean hanger:D

ORIGINAL: Air bike-RCU

Wildhare breeding wild....

I went from just one (28% Extra 300LX) to four Hares in one morning.

Got a pair of LR-1's coming from Tom and picked up an Extra 260 w/a new DA100 this morning from an RCU ad.

I originally wanted the Extra 260 for my ZDZ80 but the DA100 is already mounted (Big DA sticker on the cowl too). Good deals come around once in a while!!

This summer looks like fun!!

The Bad thing is that once I have backups in the hangar, the 3Ding gets lower and lower:D

Tom, would you happen to have the manual for the Extra 260 as a download from your site?

Dan
[X(][X(]

Airbike 05-16-2005 11:33 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

[X(][X(][X(]going to need some birth control in your hutch...I mean hanger:D

On the contrary,
I think Tom wants us to remember the old Doritos commercials as... "Fly all you want, we'll make more".

Airbike 06-06-2005 07:19 PM

Hi Tom,

I'm working on the LR-1's and I hope you have a CG location for me to shoot for.

I'm setting it up for around 27.5% of MAC as a starting point but if you had already flown one, I just figured I'd ask first.

The Red one will be glow powered by a "mystery" engine that I got as a freebie...(I measured bore and stroke and figure it to be a .36 heli engine, no marking whatsoever on engine). I'm putting everything in the tail to help balace this engine, thats why I kinda need a CG to start with.

The Blue one will be electric powered. My setup will be Aveox 36/24/1.5 direct drive with apc 7x7 to start with. Phoenix 80 ESC and 3 separate 3S1P TP2100 wired in parallel to make a 3S3P 6300 for 68 amp draw (82 amps with apc 7x10). Pitch speed will be 125mph for the 7x7 and 165mph for the 7x10. Of course actual speed will have to be measured.

We'll see what it does when the electric Blue is finished.

I'll post some progress pics when I get the camera downloaded later.

Also, I got the manual for the Extra 260 that you emailed. Thanks.

Cheers,
Dan

rctom 06-06-2005 08:03 PM

I'm working on one with a Himax 3618-4500 and an APC 8-8 prop, Phoenix 60 and 3s-2p 4400 Lipos. The batteries are 10-12c, which should give me something around 50 amps.

I don't have a clue what I'm doing, just guessing, but I'm thinking it should be 100mph+ which is a fair starting point. Mostly I'm doing this to0 show that it can be done and give people a place to start.

I hope to fly mine this weekend against some glow guys with .25 size racers just to see what happens.

TF

Airbike 06-06-2005 10:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom, how about that CG location???

With electrics, it often comes down to actual flight in order to really know the performance of the components.
No wonder my buddies always waited for me to try different setups first, then they can just get something that was proven.

Airbike 06-06-2005 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom, your electric setup sounds like it is going to pull much more than 50 amps.

Better check the setup on a Whattmeter and bring some 7" dia props just in case.

Here are some shots of my glow powered installation so far.

rctom 06-07-2005 03:51 AM

Maybe, I said I was just guessing. I do have some smaller props in case. The battery pack won't put out much over 50 amps sp that will be the limiting factor. I can tweak it later.

Your glow version has me thinking. I have a MVVS .25 combat wombat that's an absolute screamer, I may give that one a ride also.

Send me somephotos when you are done, I need to built a website page and the more pics the better.

TF

Airbike 06-07-2005 03:25 PM

Come'on Tom,

Where did you (are you) setting the CG at?

I'll trade ya pics for CG info!!:D

It's gotta be between my GEEBEE at 18-20% and
my 3D stuff at 35+/- %

I'll send pics when I get more completed on the planes.

rctom 06-07-2005 05:34 PM

Oh, sorry, I forgot. You had it about right, start at between 25-30% MAC and you'll be ok.

TF

pit_basher 06-13-2005 09:37 PM

I really like this plane, can you suggest a 6v battery and a receiver for it? I have a 7cap radio. Thank You

pit_basher 06-13-2005 09:41 PM

Tom, will this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASY4&P=K]receiver[/link] work with the 7cap? Will it be a good fit on this plane?

rctom 06-13-2005 10:01 PM

I do not know what receiver you refer to?

TF

Aerohead 06-13-2005 11:38 PM

Pit Basher,

If you look closer at the tech notes in the ad your link called up, you will notice that the range of this receiver is only 650 feet. I sure wouldn't want to run this receiver in a fast-moving pylon plane. You might live up to your title.[8D]

Airbike 06-14-2005 02:53 AM

Well, I finished my glow powered version last night.

Total weight without fuel came out to 49 oz. This is with a 12 oz .36 eng/muff, a 600 mah Nicad, 4xHS85MG and one HS81, 2" alum spinner and no wheel pants.

49 oz / 296 sq in = 23.84 oz /sf which is pretty low for a pylon racer.

I guess I pushed everything a little too far back as the CG came out at around 33% MAC when empty. I think I'll leave it there as 8 oz of fuel should bring it to about 30%

Now I just need some servos to put together the electric version. I'd like to maiden them both on the same day.

It should be easy to get this plane under 3 lbs using any .25 sized engine.

I'm hoping that the electric one will be about the same weight. (it'll probably be a little more but the wing is pretty big for this weight)

I think this plane is an excellent choice for an electric powered pylon racer. It should carry 16 to 22 oz of batteries without any problems and still be at a decent wing loading. Lots of room in the fuse for batteries.

Airbike 06-14-2005 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple more pics of the installation:

GregG 06-23-2005 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: rctom

I'm working on one with a Himax 3618-4500 and an APC 8-8 prop, Phoenix 60 and 3s-2p 4400 Lipos. The batteries are 10-12c, which should give me something around 50 amps. ........
Hey Tom, How are you doing? This is Greg Gallegos from [link=http://www.dvrc.org]DVRC[/link] in Pittsburg. You do remember us don't you? ;)

I've been interested in the LR-1 ever since I saw the one that you had sent to Phil Young. He was going to do it up electric but when I told him he might have to spend a bit of money he decided to install a .25 glow that he has laying around.

Did you fly your electric version yet? Anyway, I've been answering a few questions for a couple of interested LR-1 builders over on another bulletin board(I can't mention the name because I'm a Moderator there. Perhaps Airbike could provide a link here.). I believe there are three people with these and ready to install electric powerplants.

In looking at the motor that you've mentioned I've run your mentioned setup in MotoCalc just to see how close we are. I used the following motor constants from [link=http://parkflyermotors.com/secure/shop/item.asp?itemid=599&catid=51]Parkflyermotors[/link]:

HiMaxx 3618-4500 Brushless Motor

RPM per Volt: 4500
Static Amps: 4.2
Resistance (Ohm): .011
Weight: 187 Grams (6.67 Oz)
Dimensions: 36mm Diameter, 44mm Long
Shaft Diameter: 5mm
Max Watts: 500

Plugging the above into Motocalc with an 8 X 8 Prop and 3S2P Lipo pack I got 122 amps yet only 103 mph prop pitch speed. This might be pushing the motor, the ESC, and the battery pack just a little bit. ;)

Anyway I reran everything with a few different props and the lowest amp draw I could calc out was with a 5 X 5 APC at 74 amps. I think that this prop is a bit too small being that you use a 2" spinner on the nose.

If it were me and I wanted to go with a Himax motor I'd probably try one with a bit less kV such as a 3618-3000. I couldn't find the motor constants for it so I made a few guesses and ran them through Motocalc.

KV, 3000
Static 3 amps
Resistance 0.035 ohm

This theoretically spins with an APC 6 X 6 21.495 RPM at 49 amps and with a prop pitch speed of 122 MPH and 29 oz of thrust. You could even use ten of the less expensive 3300-3800 Nimh cells that would provide a bit more performance but weigh a bit more as well.

rctom 06-23-2005 10:16 PM

Thanks Greg, sure I remember. Your calculations sound like I may have the wrong combination, I haven't had time to finish the plane but I'll let everybody know when I get to fly it.

TF

Airbike 06-24-2005 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a link to one of the discussions:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380211

and a link to the other discussion:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374453

A pic of my elect motor installation: Aveox 36/24/1.5, True-turn 2" spinner and apc 7x7 prop. Better also get 7x8, 7x9, 7x10, 7.2x8, 7.2x8.6