Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Question about Wren 160

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Question about Wren 160

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 02:53 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Wren 160

I have a Wren 160 that I dug out and ran today for the first time in a very very long time. Started up fine on the second try. After start sequence is complete it calibrates idle and the runs up about 70k ffor a few seconds of calibration (I think) and then returns to idle . At idle I get a message on my Data terminal that says ........"auto 4.4v " or "auto 4.5v". It has been a long time since I have run this engine and this message may be normal but I dont recall seeing it in the past. I took a quick look in the engine manual and I dont see any reference to this message. The engine seems to be running normal in all regards. I assume this message means something is measuring at 4.4. or 4.5 volts ????[SUB]

Is this normal ? What does it mean ?[/SUB]
Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the ProJet ECU. the message I recall from a Wren with a ProJet (perhaps all ProJets) is "AUTO HC" when the ECU stabilizes the engine at full throttle (you have to command it to go to full throttle yourself and let it sit there for a few secs).

If during the cal procedure, you presumably get a pump voltage less than the max, that must be the message. As I recall this is normal. I have not run a project ECU for some time so I cannot be sure .. perhaps someone more expert will weigh in...

Dave McQ
Old 08-28-2016, 08:27 PM
turnnburn

Yes it is the ProJet ECU. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not doing anything with Wren anymore but the number is the current pump voltage.. Like Dave says it needs to have Auto HC displayed after the calibration or you will need to reteach it. the projet is sensitive to the end points sorry don't remember good settings.

Let it sit after it returns to idle after the cal and see if the pump voltage stabilizes.. it will not go to max throttle just part way for the cal run.

If I had one that sat for awhile, I would remove the fuel line from the motor and do a test run of the pump for 10min into a jar or something to make sure pump ok.

if you search the internet the hornet projet iii manual is available out there still I think..
Old 09-17-2016, 01:07 PM
turnnburn

I wrote to wren in England and got a reply explaining. Engine is running fine with no need to teach or reprogram.