Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Pump Start Point Wren 44

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Pump Start Point Wren 44

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 PM
farrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pump Start Point Wren 44

Hi Ron,
On the ECU setting (initial, from the first time I received mu motor)
it has Pump Start Point value 30, while in the manual (ECU setting
chapter) it is said Auto+1and cannot be changed except by wren.
Which one is true??coz I changed the value of this Pump Start Point to
Auto+1 (other parameter remain unchanged) and the result was I burnt
my exhaust pipe this morning when I started it. It causing a big flame
out.
This is hard to choose..One way, when I choose the value 30, I cannot
start from on-board gas, coz I need to open the gas valve wider,
so when I use gas tank, it always run out before the fuel ramping...on
the other hand, when I use Auto+1, it only needs a very little opening in the gas valve, so I
can use on board starter 3-4 times, but it is causing very big and long flame out...
Please advice...Is my ECU that has problem or something else??
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Pump Start Point Wren 44

Farrel,

If you are using the Flightworks 100 pump...the "30" value from the factory is correct...
As you had stated in your earlier thread...the factory settings with less propane had resulted in successful starts...
I recommend that you return to the factory settings...by accident you probably received the earlier version manual that had parameters for the Hausel pump listed.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
farrel

Why this can be happened??
So, which one is on your opinion do best performance??Hausl or Flightworks?? Coz when I use flightworks, I use more more gas, coz It takes more than 10 s for fuel to introduce. And If I (maybe) use Hausl, by the temp reach 100C (fuel ramp), the fuel directly introduce to the motor.
And is it safe to change the fuel pump from fightworks to hausl??since I wanna use onboard gas tank (fightworks seems not possible, since it will run out of gas before the fuel is ramping)..
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 PM
farrel

Ron,
What is the difference between value Auto+1 and 30 on the Pump Start Point??Coz when the fuel ramp phase (temp 100C), no fuel is being delivered...it only delivered when the temp is over 190C, and the start speed seems to hang right there and suck my propane....but when Auto+1, when it is fuel ramp phase, the fuel directly introduce to the motor.
So, what setting do I need in order to direct fuel introduce to the motor when the temp is 100C??I try Auto+8 still causing long hot start, while 10,15 and 20 still producing the same result, rpm hung at 22K for a while, and then a "real" fuel ramping is happening.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:17 AM
farrel

Just contacted kumoro...he's been thru this situation before. He suggested me to increase Pump Start Point by one point as I started the engine. He said when the starter hung to the certain speed,and the fuel didn't introduce to the motor, abort starting sequence by lowering the trim. And then increase Pump start point by one point..and so on..and finally I stop to value 35, where when HDT says fuel ramp, my fuel is directly introduced to the motor, just like Auto+1...So, I can set the fuel gas valve as minimum as it can burn...and I can use onboard propane...And I hear the info, if the Pump Start Point exceed 30, the pump must be changed..is it right??Thank you,Farrel
Old 01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Wren Turbines USA

Farrel,
I have forwarded this to Gavin at the factory....I expect an answer to your questions soon. When the motor leaves Wren, the settings are tested and should not require constant adjustments. I suggest in the meantime that you reset the ECU to the settings when you received the motor, and then recheck your installation.
I'll post Gavs' reply as soon as I receive it.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Wren Turbines USA

From Gav: "I suspect that the customer has received the wrong version of the manual. It sounds as though the customer has answered his own questions about the pump start point. If the fuel pump does not start when the ECU says"Fuel Ramp", then the start point needs increasing.
As we know, the FlightWorks 100 pump does not work with the "Auto+" start point, so I am not surprised that he is getting hot starts on Auto+8!!
If the customer has been able to get good startswith the start point set to 35, then he should leave it set to that. The pump start point varies from pump to pump, and there is no maximum value that means that the pump has to be changed. If a value of 35 results in a reliable start with no excessive temperature or flame, then it is working perfectly normal.
A short pause before the fuel pump starts up is nothing to worry about, as long as it does not take to long, then there is no problem".
Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
farrel

Thank you Ron for your response&help. Very appreciate it.You're the best...