Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Wren Turbines USA
Reload this Page >

Wren 54 catastrophic failure

Community
Search
Notices
Wren Turbines USA Wren USA no longer providing support for their turbines. We are converting this forum into a member supported support forum. This means members will solve members problems

Wren 54 catastrophic failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wren 54 catastrophic failure

Had a couple of flights yesterday with my Wren 54 Mk2.5 powered Boomerang and on the third flight just after takeoff at about 100ft there were sparks out the back and a bang.

I got her landed ok and when looking at it passing me by, I seen some flames so had to give it a blast with the fire extinguisher when landed luckily no airframe damage other than a bit of black burning, heat resist paint worked !

First inspections showed the tailcone twisted out of shape and the turbine wheel missing blades.

When I stripped it, I discover that the collar on the NGV end of the shaft tunnel and broken off, I had though it may have been a bearing failure but the bearing was still intake as can be seen in the picture of the shaft and turbine wheel. The broken off collar can be seen still on the shaft behind the bearing.

Damage, shaft tunnel, bearings, turbine wheel, NGV, compressor wheel, intake, tailcone, EGT probe will email wren to see what it will cost to fix, might not be worth it.
Anyone got and spares lying about ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14492.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1412213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81394.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1412214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82574.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1412215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46359.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1412216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq88704.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1412217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy33286.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1412218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su37312.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1412219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu69573.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1412220  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp14525.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1412221  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Wren 54 catastrophic failure

Seems the collar fracture is typical metal fatique introduced by the very sharp machined edge for the oring slot. Could do with a radiused tool in that machine operation. Basic engineering really. Much like the DH Comet windows...
Andre Baird
Old 04-06-2010, 11:57 AM
snatch-it

hi,
i had a mk3 54 that did that aswell, mine went while i was maidening my t45.
was doing a fast lowish pass when it went, managed to get in down in 1 piece though.
it had about 7.5 hours running on the clock, when i sent it back for repair it came out as an unecononical repair,
found out that the turbine wheels have been changed slightly to stop the blades from flexing and breaking.
needless to say wren did me a real good deal on a super sport, i still have wrens, at the moment ive got a 44 in a amd hawk.
a new 70 in a rafale and the super sport is now on a trusty kangaroo! also owned a few tha ive sold with models,
im sure they will be able to fix her up again, by the way the new wheels have wren wren on them, not wren 54,

hopes this easies the pain,

cheers
snatch

Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: snatch-it

hi,
i had a mk3 54 that did that aswell, mine went while i was maidening my t45.
was doing a fast lowish pass when it went, managed to get in down in 1 piece though.
it had about 7.5 hours running on the clock, when i sent it back for repair it came out as an unecononical repair,
found out that the turbine wheels have been changed slightly to stop the blades from flexing and breaking.
needless to say wren did me a real good deal on a super sport, i still have wrens, at the moment ive got a 44 in a amd hawk.
a new 70 in a rafale and the super sport is now on a trusty kangaroo! also owned a few tha ive sold with models,
im sure they will be able to fix her up again, by the way the new wheels have wren wren on them, not wren 54,

hopes this easies the pain,

cheers
snatch

I will wait and see what the bill is for the parts as I will rebuild it myself.

What weight is your AMD hawk I have one I was about to fit the wren 54 into
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
snatch-it

hi

the hawk weighs in at a tad over 10lbs dry, it carries 1.2 liters of fuel.
this is my second one, the first one had a 54 in it and it came out heavy, it was a bit naughty at times due to the higher wing loading.
replaced the 54 with the 44 and it turned into a different plane to fly, a good mate of mine has it now,
if you go onto google video and type in thrust productions you will see a video of it with the 54 in it. goes very well!!
hope this helps,

cheers
snatch

Old 04-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Xairflyer

Not having much luck with getting bits from wren other than NGV, surprised they don't stock parts for a Mk3, I'm sure there are plenty of them still around, will they soon stop stocking spares for a MK4 ? something I would consider before buying a new turbine in the future.

Anyone know what the Garret part number is for the 12 blade compressor ? or have one lying about.
Also I am looking for a turbine wheel new or second hand, I might make a tunnel or buy one from JetJoe which is exactly the same.

The front intake looks to be ok, the compressor blades must be a softer metal as they have wear on them but the intake looks to have been touched by the compressor but no un-evenness or scores. Would know better with a new compressor.

I have cleaned up the marks caused by the turbine wheel on the NGV mainly rubbing against the stators,, need to check shaft, so if I had a tunnel, turbine wheel, compressor, tailcone and a new set bearings, I could rebuild it again.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

Sent you a PM.