Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 160DZ Help

Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YS 160DZ Help

I have been out of the game for almost 6 years and I am slowly trying to get my old gear working again before I take the electric route.

I have 2 DZ 160 engines which were running perfectly before I stopped flying. I left them sitting around in the box without preparing them for extended storage (big mistake) and they have since locked up. I have managed to pull everything apart and clean carefully replaced all gaskets, o rings etc.

I believe I now have a pump problem however I am not sure how to test correctly. The engine will pump fuel through when I turn it over with the starter but only when I pinch the line briefly between pump and carburator. This action cause the pump to start working. Once I get the pump to work it does not seem to have enough pressure to push fuel all the way into the injector. I have checked all the cavities in the carb and needle valve assembly and I am certain I dont have any blockages in this area. I have also checked the injector and check valve in the head and all appears to be working fine. I did a simply test by connecting the fuel line from pump directly into the head and the engine ran abeit very rich to confirm nothing else was wrong with the engine.

My immediate observation is the pump is not producing enough pressure but I dont know how to test this easily or what part of the pump needs to be looked at more closely.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Peter
Old 10-29-2011, 04:11 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: YS 160DZ Help

There are two little plungers and springs that make the pump work. I would start with replacing them.