YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

ys 170dz cam follower

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Frankjp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys 170dz cam follower

Help please,, assembling a ys 170dz
I have two cam followers ,,one is smooth on the outside , the other has a spiral groove cut in the outside. Anyone know where the spiral cut one goes? Intake or ehaust??
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ys 170dz cam follower

ORIGINAL: crankr

Help please,, assembling a ys 170dz
I have two cam followers ,,one is smooth on the outside , the other has a spiral groove cut in the outside. Anyone know where the spiral cut one goes? Intake or ehaust??
The spiral follower is for use in the 'low oil' version of that engine.
Both followers must have the grooves when used in the low oil engine.
The low oil engine has other parts that are intended for use with low oil content fuel.

The smooth follower is for use in the standard version that uses 22% oil content fuel such as Cool Power Heli 30%.
Both followers must be smooth in this version.

Do not use the smooth followers in a low oil version but you can probably use the spiral followers in the standard oil version.

In your case with one of each type....you can probably use them with standard fuel.....but not with low oil content.

Dave
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Frankjp

Thanks for the info about the low oil version. The manual says to use 20-24% synthetic oil.
I should have been more clear ,,,,,,,This motor came with one of each,a smooth and a spiral follower. I am changing bearings in it and when I warmed up the case both followers came out . I didn't notice the orientation as they both fell out at once. My guess is they need to be oriented right to get satisfactory oiling
Thanks Frank
Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Frankjp

Thanks for the info about the low oil version. The manual says to use 20-24% synthetic oil.
I should have been more clear ,,,,,,,This motor came with one of each,a smooth and a spiral follower. I am changing bearings in it and when I warmed up the case both followers came out . I didn't notice the orientation as they both fell out at once. My guess is they need to be oriented right to get satisfactory oiling
Thanks Frank
Hi Frank....I understand what you mean....it does not matter which pushrod hole they go in...as long as you have the cup facing the pushrod you'll be ok.

Dave
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM
Frankjp

Thanks Dave,
I will get this thing back together now.
Frankjp