Community
Search
Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

IS YS FZ1.40 TO MUCH POWER FOR Top Flite P51d 60 size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:59 PM
TaylorFilms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS YS FZ1.40 TO MUCH POWER FOR Top Flite P51d 60 size?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a Saito 100 in it and just feel it needs new power.

Choices are YS 1.20z,YS 1.40, Saito 125, or OS 120 Surpass

Also up for any other recommendations.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Jason
Old 03-19-2014, 07:47 AM
los36
My Feedback: (1)

Low-time YS owner here.
I'm in the process of installing a YS 115S into my TF P-47. It previously had a Saito 115. The Saito flew it fine but, you know ... why not more power? So, the Saito will turn a Xoar (very similar loading and performance as APC) 16x6 at 8700 rpm. The YS should (still breaking in) turn a 16x10 in the same range or a 15x10 over 9000rpm. That's a lot more power and speed.
If you're going bigger than the 115, go with the 140. The reason is that the engine size and weight of the 120 and 140 are just about the same. The 115 is in the smaller old FZ 91 casting. There are lots of used 110's out there that would be a big boost over the Saito.
Again ... I haven't flown mine yet, this is just the research I've done.
Take a look at this video of a TF P-47 with a YS 140 or 110 (title says 140 video text says 110). That's pretty damn fast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDv1ChqVkMo
Also, here is a review and some specs on the YS 115S: http://www.centralhobbies.com/Engine...ine%20Test.pdf

Last edited by los36; 03-19-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added a link to the referenced video
Old 03-19-2014, 08:47 AM
TaylorFilms

Thanks for the feedback! Yes I agree more power is never

a bad thing 80). I went with a 115s for my p51 w an NMP exhaust stack.
YS guru at my club says with that set up should hit 100-115mph

that is plenty fast for me !
Old 03-19-2014, 10:55 AM
los36

Nice! Let me know how it goes. I bought my plane at a swap meet and it had a few minor issue that needed some rework. I just got done glassing the engine box. It held up fine to the Saito, but I hopeI the wing joint is strong! I hope I don't end up regretting this...
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM
los36

Ok, I ran a few tanks through the engine mounted on my plane. I am happy that I went with the Hyde mount. It is a violent engine! After about 3 tanks, although it is a bit rough, it's got a reliable 2100rpm idle. I'm confident enough in it to fly. Maiden in the next week or two, hopefully.
I did learn a few things about the fuel system. I have an extension wire with an L-bend on the needle valve. While trying to tune the top end for a few seconds of max rpm, the movement of the engine [mount] made my finger slip and lean it out a full 1/2 turn. The engine immediately stopped violently. After restarting, it was running seriously rough and wouldn't accelerate past 3500 or so RPM before dying. After a few attempts, it finally seemed to clear itself up. Upon reflection, I'm guessing that the fuel tank was so pressurized due to stopping while running at full throttle that the excess pressure was making it run super rich at the lower RPM's that it was turning when restarted. Eventually, the excess pressure was bled off during the rough running and everything was back to normal. I guess I should have just released the tank pressure before restarting. Can anyone confirm that my assumptions are correct?
Lastly, are YS engines are the messiest glow engines known to man? My experience with glow engines so far put this engine above and beyond even my messy OS 46 Fx. I realize that some of the mess can be attributed to the rich mixture I was running for break-in, but even everything inside the cowl was wet. This is not a knock ... well maybe it is but it's not a deal breaker. Will an air filter contain some of the spray from the carb?