Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Ys 115fz s

Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ys 115fz s

Thinking of getting a new 115 fz S just wondering after having around 20 of the 120-thru 140 YS motor with the older style regulator assemblys up front and being a Pain to keep working correctily I swore I would never get another YS. Question is are the new 115 motors with the newer regulars being fixed and on the rear side of the motors more reliable and user friendly??? Just don't want to get something that I have to always have to dink with. Always have run YS 20/20 fuels and sometimes little the YS 30% heli fuels also . Any opinions would be appreciated
Old 09-14-2014, 04:01 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Well......FWIW, I've got a couple of them......love um! ......the regs. are a complete redesign....non/adjustable......seem to work just fine......if you want the strongest/running engine, size for size.......you don't have much choice....
Old 09-14-2014, 09:16 PM
BAS

Ok sounds good I will call Central Hobbies and Rich at Ys performance Monday and get their opinion also thanks for the reply do you pattern or 3d and aerobatic on your application. What size prop would be good for mild 3d and hovering??
Old 09-15-2014, 04:28 AM
tande

I'm not the best person to tell you about prop size, (just a sport flyer), but I can tell you what I use......16x7 "APC" on a pattern airframe & 17x6 "APC" on a toss/around......YMMV......
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM
BAS

Ok thanks Tange I wish some more folks would chime in on this motor but anyway I think I am right in the ballpark as far as prop size with a 17/4 wide blade APC or 16/4 Wide blade APC
Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Bruce, I have only used my 115 for pylon. In my case running 30% nitro I am swinging an APC 14X13N at 9,200 on the ground. I'm thinking that the 17x4 or 16x4W props you mention may be a bit on the light side for this engine. I'm betting it would do just fine with a 18x6.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 PM
BAS

I appreciate your reply but I am not into speed at all I want my planes to fly slow with a lot of low end torque for hovering and 3d I run my 140 ys motors on 18/6 apc wide blade and they turn around 9,000 static . Again pylon type flying is a lot different but you might be right I will have to test it out tomorrow and see hoe she does. The plane its on only weighs 8 lbs and it is just a sport plane. I will let you know also I use 20% nitro. How is your 115 holding up and working with the new type regulator ??? thanks Bruce
Old 09-25-2014, 07:04 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Bruce, it has been trouble free for 4 gallons so far. I can't even remember a difficult start. I will go full throttle without glow heat and turn it over 3 times by hand. Drop it down to idle throw the ni starter on it and bump it with the starter. Fires up every time. It holds the needle setting through the entire flight. Granted the flight lasts about 4 min but I do burn up 14 oz of the available 16. I ran 20\20 all synthetic for the first gallon and 30/20 after that. The airplane is 520 sq in and weighs 6.5 lbs. Its the hardest running 4 stroke I have ever run. More power then a Saito 180 I used to have. Some of the guys I race with run up to 55% nitro. I just can't say enough about how well this engine performs. I'm considering building a pattern airplane around it because of how well it runs overall.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:58 PM
BAS

Ok thanks for the good info on the motor I take it your running full throttle using the 14 ozs of fuel in 4 minutes? I will be running under half throttle and most of the if it has the power you say it has. I am using a 20 oz tank but I didn't get a chance to finish up the 4 star today so maybe tomorrow. Sounds like it will be a blast to run and with the straight exhaust pipe I use it will sound awesome .Also I forgot I need to confirm the crankshaft thread size is it 7 by 1.25 need to get a lite weight hub for motor it is really going to require some lead in the rear even at the cg back as far what manual recommends. I guess will put that question on a thread on the plane its a SIG 4 star 64 the newer four star being produced the SIG company with newer owners and have redesigned the entire 4-star

Last edited by BAS; 09-27-2014 at 01:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 AM
BAS

Ok finally got to fly my 4-star 64 with the YS 115. Turning a APC 17/4 wide blade and it is a perfect combo. This motor has got some grunt I ran 2 tanks of fuel on the ground and then flew. I need to get my tach batt replaced but it rips the prop at 3/4 throttle. This motor runs like most 180 size 4 strokes. Very easy to adjust mixtures and you have to fool with the regulator that is what I love about it. Going back out today and try a Xoar 17/6 wood prop just for kicks. I had to add around 6 ozs of tail weight and still could use a few more on inverted fight still has a little nose heavy feeling but not bad. Very pleased so far .
Old 09-29-2014, 03:53 AM
tande

Originally Posted by BAS View Post
Ok thanks for the good info on the motor I take it your running full throttle using the 14 ozs of fuel in 4 minutes? I will be running under half throttle and most of the if it has the power you say it has. I am using a 20 oz tank but I didn't get a chance to finish up the 4 star today so maybe tomorrow. Sounds like it will be a blast to run and with the straight exhaust pipe I use it will sound awesome .Also I forgot I need to confirm the crankshaft thread size is it 7 by 1.25 need to get a lite weight hub for motor it is really going to require some lead in the rear even at the cg back as far what manual recommends. I guess will put that question on a thread on the plane its a SIG 4 star 64 the newer four star being produced the SIG company with newer owners and have redesigned the entire 4-star
8x1......
Old 09-29-2014, 06:11 AM
BAS

Ok thanks for the info