Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Synthetic after run oil safe on silicone?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:32 PM
kenh3497

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any synthetic after run oil safe on silicone?

Just because an after run oil is synthetic, does that mean it is safe around silicone of the type used in YS engines? I heard of some using oil like Mobil One as an ARO and I don't remember names but a couple others were mentioned in various forums. I'm trying to make an informed decision on what to use for ALL my engines as an ARO. In the past and as of now, I've disliked synthetic oils as I feel they just don't cling to the metal as well as conventional oil does. Maybe that has changed

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited by kenh3497; 02-21-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:07 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard of people using Mobile 1 as well. I personally don't use an after run oil, I have always just run my engines dry at the end of the day. There is always debate over this with proponents on both sides. If you want an after run oil Dave Shadel at Performance Specialties sells Ultra Oil that a lot of guys use as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 AM
petec

I have heard of people using Mobile 1 as well. I personally don't use an after run oil, I have always just run my engines dry at the end of the day. There is always debate over this with proponents on both sides. If you want an after run oil Dave Shadel at Performance Specialties sells Ultra Oil that a lot of guys use as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Just because an after run oil is synthetic, does that mean it is safe around silicone of the type used in YS engines? I heard of some using oil like Mobil One as an ARO and I don't remember names but a couple others were mentioned in various forums. I'm trying to make an informed decision on what to use for ALL my engines as an ARO. In the past and as of now, I've disliked synthetic oils as I feel they just don't cling to the metal as well as conventional oil does. Maybe that has changed

Thanks!

Ken

Yes....it is safe and preferred to use a synthetic ARO in all YS and standard engines.
I have used the Performance Specialties ARO and am now using Castrol synthetic motor oil......same stuff....I think it is 00 weight....anyway, the lightest weight.
I have seen it at Wal-Mart.

I remove the glow plug and put in an ounce or so of ARO in the intake then spin the engine with a rag over the plug hole after every flying session.
I use a plastic catchup bottle with a point like you see in a hamburger joint.

I also have several engines....2 stroke and 4 stroke....pickled in this same oil and stored in plastic bags and all are perfect....no corrosion or rust.
I routinely check them about once a year.
Also....there is no trouble starting these engines with this ARO....it never gums up....and if you spin the engine to distribute the oil....does not load up the plug.

Sorry Pete......I believe you when you say you just run your engines dry....but when I do that....they rust and corrode in spite of using Cool Power fuel....the best.
The ARO when spun through the engine displaces the water and other byproducts that are the result of running an alky based fuel.
The engine will not rust if there is only oil in it.

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 03-02-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Performance Specialties

http://www.pspec.com/

They list the Ultra Oil. They don't accept credit cards, but do accept Paypal. I've bought mufflers and headers for YS and OS engines in the past year from there.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Jim Schwagle View Post
Performance Specialties

http://www.pspec.com/

They list the Ultra Oil. They don't accept credit cards, but do accept Paypal. I've bought mufflers and headers for YS and OS engines in the past year from there.
Thanks Jim.....I edited my post.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:56 PM
petec

No problem Dave, YMMV. I stay out of the debate on after run oil. What works for me may not work for others.

Pete
Old 02-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by petec View Post
No problem Dave, YMMV. I stay out of the debate on after run oil. What works for me may not work for others.

Pete
Normally....I do too.
This time though....The OP indicated he was going to use Mobil One synthetic in a YS which is similar to what I use.
So...I thought I would mention that I have used the PS Ultra oil and that I am using Castrol now simply because I use a lot of it each time to wash out the engine.
Just using a few drops will not do anything.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:14 PM
kenh3497

I haven't used anything yet. I was currious if synthetic is synthetic is synthetic or if some synthetics were NOT compatible with silicone.

Ken
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Just adding to what has been said. I used the Ultra Oil for years when adding ARO. However for the most part I just run the motor dry unless it will be sitting for a long time. I do run Morgan's Cool Power oil in the fuel I mix for my motors as well. Another option to the Ultra Oil is to purchase from Morgan's some of the 100% synthetic oil. Since I mix my own fuel I have been doing this for quite some time and basically refill my ARO bottle with the Morgan's. That way my motor "sees" the same oil whether it is in fuel or straight from the bottle.

Jimmy Skids
Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Jimmy Skids View Post
Just adding to what has been said. I used the Ultra Oil for years when adding ARO. However for the most part I just run the motor dry unless it will be sitting for a long time. I do run Morgan's Cool Power oil in the fuel I mix for my motors as well. Another option to the Ultra Oil is to purchase from Morgan's some of the 100% synthetic oil. Since I mix my own fuel I have been doing this for quite some time and basically refill my ARO bottle with the Morgan's. That way my motor "sees" the same oil whether it is in fuel or straight from the bottle.

Jimmy Skids
Is Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil synthetic?

Is there a YS Club?

Thanks
Sincerely, Richard
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180;
YS F 120;
Old 04-16-2015, 06:20 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Spaceworm,
I have heard marvel is a no. But besides hearing no I have no other info. Be safe and go with the above recommended ARO's.
Skids
Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 AM
Jim Schwagle

There is a YS club in the 3D forum. It's not always very active. Someone will post, there will be several replies, then the forum sits for a while. I think the most current post is from almost a year ago, so you will have to either search for the thread or scroll "way" down.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 AM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Jim Schwagle View Post
There is a YS club in the 3D forum. It's not always very active. Someone will post, there will be several replies, then the forum sits for a while. I think the most current post is from almost a year ago, so you will have to either search for the thread or scroll "way" down.
I only have one YS so far, but I would like to join. May I? Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180;
YS F-120
Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM
Jim Schwagle

The "club" is in name only. It' s just a thread devoted to YS engines. Anyone can post or participate.