YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS FZ63 and FZ110S Problem Children

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 04:18 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
Default YS FZ63 and FZ110S Problem Children

It's been some years now since I bought these two engines and basically had nothing but trouble with either of them. They were replaced and have been on the shelf since. The 110 was a real brute, it liked to spit props and I could never seem to get it rich enough, It would often start a flight with thick exhaust smoke then the smoke would taper and I had to land ASAP. Other times it would run rather well and then start to loose power, time to land! That engine was sent to YS Parts and Service and returned but even though Richard repaired it those problems persisted so I put it away. The 63 always started, idled and ran well wide open but it died many more times than I care to remember while hovering or jockeying the throttle at mid power settings. It was in a fun fly profile so that was totally unsat. Replaced it with a Saito 72 and never looked back. So doing a little workshop clean up and I need to either fix and fly these engines or perhaps find another home for them. Any advice on what may have been the problems and what to try (especially if these engines have known deficiencies) would be great. Or, if anyone out there with mad skillz wants to make an offer on either of these you could try your luck and maybe end up with an almost new engine in either case. I don't have the heart to put them up for sale on fleabay after never having them run well for me. And I have had about a dozen YS engines over the years from pattern flying (2 and 4 strokes) and currently helis. So I know a good YS is usually a "set and forget" engine that when run slightly rich can run reliably, last a looong time, and produce best in class power.