Old style YS .53 throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 05:29 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old style YS .53 throttle response

Hi Dave,
First of all, let me say that I am currently the owner of several YS engines, and love every one of them (YS .61 RE Long stroke, and .53, .63, .91 & 1.20 SF four strokes). Having run them for years, the normal day to day setting and running of these jewels is no big mystery to me. However, with that said, my .53 seems to me to be a bit different.

As I said in my header, my .53 is an early model without the low speed idle adjustment needle on the carb. I originally had it in a .40 Sized Cap 232 and liked it a lot there, though it never had the throttle response (snap) of my bigger YS engines. I eventually replaced it with my YS .63 for more power, and noted that my .63, once broken in has much more "snap" in the throttle response. I should add here that I typically run a minimum of 20% Nitro in the .53 and .63 and have also run 25% and even some 30% Nitro in it, so the lack of throttle response is probably not due to a lack of Nitro (20% Synthetic oil). I also use only O.S. type "F" plugs in all my YS four strokes as well.

My problem is that I have since moved my .53 into a Sig Fazer Fun Fly plane and really need that good quick "snap" in my throttle response. Having only the regulator to adjust for the low end, I have worked a lot making very small, adjustments to the regulator. What I have found is that if I don't really lean out the low end by screwing in the regulator a little, throttle response from a good slow idle to full power can take from a second or two, to as much as three or four seconds, as the engine seems to have to try to "clean itself out" before going to full power. (I've used everything from 12.5 x 6 APC on my CAP to a 13 x 4W APC on my Fazer). However, if I cut down the regulator adjustment to give really good throttle response off idle, then I have problems with the engine going lean during quick mid range throttle up and spitting the prop upon opening the throttle. I can keep that from happening by opening up the regulator a little, but then my throttle respone slows way down again.

Hopefully you get the drift... I would just like to be able to make the Fazer JUMP like I can my .63 and .91 powered planes when I hit the throttle.....

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Lee

PS: Don't know if this helps, but you guys replaced the front crank bearing (under warranty..thanks!) when it desintegrated after only a few months of flying. Counld that have any impact?
Old 05-13-2002, 05:54 PM
RLDIII
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was it something I said?

Dave,
I hope you see this, as maybe the initial post just slipped your eye. I posted the initial question some time ago, and can't seem to get any response...

Any ideas on my YS .53???

Thanks,
Lee