Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

140DZ set-up/adjustment

Old 01-26-2005, 05:59 PM
go.flying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 140DZ set-up/adjustment

Hi Dave

Just ran my 140 DZ for only the second time yesterday - first run was only a minute or so as we realised it would not come anywhere near the 82db noise restriction with the existing Weston Muffler.

I've now fitted a Hatori pipe and all sounds promising. BTW, I thought I'd broken the engine - there was no compression to speak of, but was told that as soon as the pump sucked a little fuel into the engine all would be well...and so it was.

My question is how to approach mixture set up for the DZ - I ran it up briefly yesterday for the second time (I'm running it on Model Technics YS30% fuel), Pump setting is as it was set by factory & needle is about 2.75 turns out - it looks and sounds slobberingly rich at anywhere nore than half throttle (which I guess is fine for break-in of the first couple of tanks). However, it is definitely sounding VERY 'hard' when I open the throttle from idle (it sounds like it could throw the prop). What is the procedure to set up the pump/main needle for idle, transition, top end etc?

Thanks for your help (and thanks very much for the YS stickers!)
DaveP
Old 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Dave Shadel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 140DZ set-up/adjustment

Turn the pump screw clockwise until the idle is correct, and lean the top end in to about 2 turns initially. It should still be very rich at that setting. The flying setting should be about 1.5 turns on the high speed. Any richer and it will likely die in the air.