Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS engines for Catalina

Old 09-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS engines for Catalina

I - and evidently another person on the RCU boards - am going to be building a G&P Sales 104" PBY-5A Catalina. The kit manufacturer recommends using either .61 2-stroke or .91 4-stroke engines for this plane which is advertised at 23#.

It would be appreciated if you could comment on the above recommendations and suggest the proper YS engine - assuming that there is one (Which I would think that there is!) Also, prop recommendations - including a three-bladed recommendation - would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience with the YS engines, being primarily a 2-stroke user with the exception of a Saito 91 on a Midwest Citabria. Anything special that I would have to learn to be able to properly use YS engines?

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Dave Shadel

Default RE: YS engines for Catalina

A pair of 110's would be fine. More HP than recommended by the kit mfg.

YS engines are tougher to learn than lesser 4 strokes, as there is one more variable adjustment, but once you figure it out, NO OTHER ENGINE MAKES THE KIND OF POWER THAT A YS CAN!!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Newc

Thanks, Dave

The 110s are what I thought would work. I have to look at the overall weight of all the options before deciding what to use.

Any ideas on proper three-bladed prop for this application, as I'm not sure that there is clearance for two blade prop?

Thanks again.

Jim
Old 09-28-2005, 12:04 AM
zain

Jim

The 110 is definately one of the best engine i have, however it took me over 8 months to get mine. They are in demand all over the world. Good luck finding a pair.

Zain
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Dave Shadel

Hobby Lobby sells Graupner 3 blade props in 14x7 and 15x8 sizes. The 14x7 is probably about right, but you might have to trim the tips of the 15x8 to get the right rpm.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Newc

Dave - As always, thanks for the great information that you give all who send in a note. This kind of service and commitment to customer satisfaction is greatly appreciated.

After a bunch of consideration I have decided to build the G&P Sales 104" PBN Nomad due primarily to better water handling than the PBY 5A Catalina. The kit manufacturer recommends using either .61 2-stroke or .91 4-stroke engines for this plane, as he does for the Catalina. This plane has a listed weight of 20# and I have seen a 22# example. In talking with the kit manufacturer - Bill Price - he says that some of his customers have successfully used OS 70 four strokes.

In the earlier exchange we had (above) you suggested the YS 110s for the PBY with 104" WS and 23# weight. Do you think that I should go with the 110s or with the 63FZSs? Obviously, I want more than enough power to be able to get off the water easily and have fun flying the plane, but don't want to go too far overboard with the "more power" syndrome.

Look forward to your comments.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Dave Shadel

I would go with 63's. They make more HP than the OS 70.

The 110's would be way overkill.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Newc

Thanks again, Dave.

Do you agree with the HP numbers posted by Hobbsy for the YS engines? 63 at 1.6 HP?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Dave Shadel

They are my numbers, guess I should agree.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Newc

Thanks. I had a feeling that you may have been involved in developing the list, but since I'm fairly new on these boards I wanted to check.

I'll be ordering a couple of the 63s and finding one of my planes to break them in on as I build the PBN. Any availability issues with the 63s?

Thanks again.

Jim
Old 10-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Dave Shadel

63's should be fairly easy to find. Try Hobby Barn, Central, etc. Any of them should have stock at about the same prices

Good Luck with the project..