Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

I think my 63FZ is dead

Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think my 63FZ is dead

I was flying my plane today and the engine just died. I went to start it back up again and it wouldn't fire and run. I went to set the prop to turn it over and the compresion is gone. It's like I had the glow plug removed. Looks like I need to yank it and send it in. I fear a valve is gone.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Dave Shadel

Default RE: I think my 63FZ is dead

Might be a broken valve spring. Hard to say.

Send it!
Old 02-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Ken Bryant

I got thte engine back today. According to the paperwork they replaced the toped cylinder assy. Must havve been royally screwed up! I like the 3 1/2 week turnarouond time. That's much better than the last time I sent the engine in. Nice to see an improvment in turn around.

THANKS!
Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Dave Shadel

It's pretty quiet in service right now, you were fortunate.

Good Flying!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Ken Bryant

E GADS! I installed the engine back into my plane. Took it out to the field to set it up again. Now I have a new problem.

Low end and mid range run fine. When I take it up into the high range it runs good for about 4 seconds then it acts like it's starving then it recoovers back up to higher RPM. Basically it sounds like I am jockeing the throttle back and forth but I am not moving the throttle. It's a Very drastic RPM range change too. Like idle to high RPM. I tried it rich, very rich and a little lean, needle setting had little effect on the surging.

The fuel tank has pressure on it when I check it after I run the engine.

Dave, I am really tired of this engine. First I had regulator problems. Then it ate a valve, now this. Each time I send it in and it has come back repaired free. But I really don't want this engine anymore. I am truelly tired of fighting this thing. I have a Satio 82 that runs like a champ and never even comes close to this things problems.

Is there any thing that I can do here at my home to try to fix this or do I need to send it in again?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Dave Shadel

Did you try setting up the engine per the instructions at www.ysperformance.com ? If so and you still have a problem, call Richard at service, 775-782-4562.

He test runs every engine that he repairs prior to shipping it out, so I'm sure it ran fine before it went back to you.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Ken Bryant

ARG!!!!!!!!! It's been 2 weeks and this is the first "day" I can call to try to talk to someone. Now the office is closed for the day. I swear it's one frustrating thing after another with this engine. FWIW, Yes, I tried tuning the engine in acordance with the directions on the YS site.
Since I too work for a living I can't call normally unless I am freed up for the day. Well, I guess it will be another 2 weeks before I can try again.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Dave Shadel

PM me a phone number where you can be reached on Monday. I will have someone call you.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 AM
Ken Bryant

Dave, I appreciate the offer of having one of them call me. The other issue is I am on the road at the moment and won't be near a phone or my planes till Tuesday the 28th. Depending on how I feel at that time I will try calling the service guys again. Sorry for the frustrated comments earlier. I had just had it with my paperweight engine and it was the straw that broke the camels back at that time.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Dave Shadel

Give them a call when you get a chance, if you can't reach them, call me. 775-265-7523
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Ken Bryant

Kudos to Richard and Dave. Richard told me to yank the engine and bench run it. Well when I did I discovered I had SCREWED UP! I had the regulator lines reversed. So for those who have this issue of a YS surging and dieing CHECK THE FUEL LINE.

The engine is now running much better. Thanks again.