Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Presumably Damaged YS 63 S

Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 PM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Presumably Damaged YS 63 S

My engine was running fine after its 10th flight from new then i heard a funny noise of hoarse running.I landed the plane and had a friend look at it.He took it apart and showed me the damaged parts .The long shaft teeth(the crank?) were bitten here and there,the cylinder walls and piston walls were badly scratched longitudinaly and looks like some other material has immbeded on both walls.As replacement parts would be expensive, he cleand the parts and sanded the rough surfaces with fine( liquid sanding??). Since then(some 5 months ago) the engine is still running good 2000-10000 rpm with 12X7 prop. ; has gone thru two crashes and is still running strong.Is it luck or will it die soon?Dont know,just thought i share this case with all.cheers
Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 AM
riadh

Default RE: Presumably Damaged YS 63 S

Hi Troy,
I think I jinxed myself.All was going well with my "injured" ys 63s until i mistook surge running due to near emptying fuel tank with bad engine settings.so i fiddled with the settings but never made it correct yet . fuel 20/20 prop 12x7 apc,engine would peak to 10300 and idles 2800 and speedily slows down and quit.Also it will not transition fast from mid range to high.actualy it takes some 20 seconds or so to reach peak and steady .Should I tackle the high rpm setting first then regulator and finally adjust the low end or visa versa ?Tank is pressured well.Just opened the regulator and cleaned all parts -it did have some dirt and a ball of plinth !.I will have another go at it and would appreciate some guidelines .Cheers.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any dirt at all in the regulator system will cause problems. You need to filter your fuel, filter your fuel filter your fuel. If you still can't keep it clean then buy a nother brand of fuel. And filter it.

Steps are always the same

HS needle first set to peak then back off 200-300rpm.

Adjust low speed air bleed screw when the engine is idling at 2000rpm. 2800rpm is not good enough the air bleed screw only works at 2000-2100rpm

Once the top and bottom are adjusted or if you can't get the bottom to adjust close enough then you look at the regulator adjustemnt. Engine runs at 3500-4000rpm. Pick 4000 for grins. Run it and watch for surge if it surges up and and down its too lean richen it. If it loads up and slows down from the 4000rpm its too rich.

Once you reset the regulator you need to go back and fine tune the top end and low end again but they will not stray far from the initial settings....unless you cranked the regulator a bunch.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 AM
togatoga
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your main bearing.Could be the cage is slowly disintegrating.It will pepper the crankshaft and almost anything inside with debris and eventually cause catastrophic failure. You won't notice it if you casually turn the engine.A hot run could cause the piston to out of centre and scrub against the sleeve and as tolerances build up it will cause more damage with chunks of piston material flying all over the insides.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:53 PM
riadh

Hi Troy ,Now,the engine is running good at the high end around 10800 and steady, 12x7 prop 20/20 fuel.The low end idle is 1900 rpm and steady.The engine would shoot up from idle to full rpm instantly.However,having said that ,the mid range is sluggish ie engine stepped down from full speed to about 4000rpm would slowly slow down, sputter and eventually quit.you did mention that this would be a symptom of rich regulator setting and i have turned the regulator screw -clockwise- and even reached fully closed screw with no marked improvement on the mid range .Could you please let me know what i would need to do now to improve the mid range?
Cheers,Riadh
Old 06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Reg is not working properly. Fully closed it should be very lean. Something is not correct with the engine. Probably dirt in the regulator keeping it open. The screw applies compression on a spring that holds the plunger closed. So adjusting the screw so far that its full closed means the plunger is leaking fuel past.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 06-24-2007, 02:31 AM
riadh

Yes I checked the regulator by blowing (presurizing the bottom of the diaphram ,closing the screw all the way ,and blowing thru the gas inlet and indeed it is not blocking the flow.Now I got the regulator open again and cleaning all parts .I am using methanol for cleaning .Do you recommend another solution for that?I also need to know if the small silicon ball under the spring is mounted with the long silicon bit under the spring or the bolder side is under the spring?I would appreciate any other suggestions while i am there.Cheers.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:19 AM
riadh

Please disregard my guestion about the silicon ball side of mounting as i believe there would only be one way to that due to the groove which has to accommodate the needle of the plunger.But i did find out that little pressure on the diaphram from below (when the engine would pressurize the regulator is required to open up the fuel passage despite the tightening of the screw.Is that normal ?would elongating the spring a bit restore balance(if it is not balanced) and extend screw pressure range ?The regulator parts are super clean now and the diaphram looks undamaged .Thanks .