Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS engines exhaust less oil?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS engines exhaust less oil?

Some guys believe that their planes are significantly cleaner running a YS than an OS or Saito.
Is this true? Does the YS burn more of its oil and thus have less oil coming out the exhaust?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Troy Newman

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: YS engines exhaust less oil?

That would depend on how you have them setup, what fuel you choose and what exhaust system you choose.

On my Pattern models I have very little oil on the bottom of the plane.

I have a muffler system designed for pattern models that helps get the exhaust away from the fuse, but Also running the 30% Heli fuel will leave less oil residue as the oil is a very low viscosity. When it gets into the exhaust system, the heat tends to flash it away. This means it has a really good smoke trail, and most of the oil is being burnt in the exhaust system. If you a normal muffler, or a straight pipe then the results will likely be more oil than I get on my models.

I don't think you can give a correlation to the brand of engine and the amount of oil coming out the exhaust pipe.

Troy Newman
Team YS Performance