Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Think I got a lemon...

Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 PM
JakeDaSnake18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I got a lemon...

I ordered an FZ 63 From Hobbytown USA (were I work) about a week ago... put it on my Showtime 50 and fired her up... it ran great for the 20 minute break-in period stated in the manual, I didn't touch the needles and went out to fly it Sunday. Well it would run for about 10-15 seconds and die, pouring fuel out of the carb and wouldn't take any throttle. I checked the needle settings and went to factory 1 turn out on the low end and 2 1/2 on the high, didn't touch the reg. screw... did the same thing all day long, me and 5 friends tried to get this POS running with no luck.

So I called YS today, and he said I just had it rich, but we tried everthing from closed to 3 turns out on the low and 1/2 to 5 out on the high and every 1/16 turn on the reg screw! Im running Cool Power MV 15% fuel and it just wont run, the last time I tried it backfired violently. So I boxed it up and sent it back to YS today...

Any Idea's guys?
Later,
Jake
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Think I got a lemon...

It was probbaly just rich on the regulator.

Pouring fuel from the carb is a sign the regulator is not functioning properly. You didn't mention anything about connections. Sometimes a guy will get the check valve in backwards, or something that you just would not think of..

Richard at YS Parts and Service will take a look and if there is something wrong with it he'll fix it up. The regulator is an adjustemtn just like the main needle and the low speed air bleed. By the way the low end is not a needle valve its an air bleed screw and it works backwards...LEAN is OUT CCW and Rich is in.

I'm not so sure that 15% MV CP is going to be the best for you. I think it doesn't have enough oil....Not positive. Also 15% will make the settings much more critical. I would recommend at least 20% the Cool Power Pro-Pattern fuels are the 20% oil content fuels.

I personally use Cool Power 30% Heli Performance fuel. This has a special low viscosity oil that the YS engines love. The 30% nitro makes the settings much broader and easier to get right. If anything go with the higher nitro just for the first gallon until you can get it dialed in closer. Then you can swap back the low nitro fuel. This will make the adjustment changes not as drastic. 15% only gives you a few clicks either way...whereas the 30% Heli gives about a full 1/4 turn. This is true for the entire range of settings. Low High and the regulator setting.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure Troy will chime in soon enough but until then here are my two cents:

If dripping fuel out of the carb when not running, there is some dirt or something in the regulator or it is too rich. I would also suggest that 15% nitro is too low on content. These engines like 20+ minimum. Most guys I know are using 30% with at least 20% oil, best results I have had are at 30% nitro, 23% oil.

Don't give up on it, once you master the care and learn how to tune these engines they can't be beat.

Jim
Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Troy was faster than I thought.

Jim
Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 AM
JakeDaSnake18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the fast reply Troy, yes I know the low end is an air bleed... its backwards... the checkvalve was in correctly and I replumed the tank twice, lol,

I tried everything I could think of inlcuding needle settings and reg, setting... I think the bad backfire might have bent something anyways...

Thanks,
Jake
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Send it in to Richard and tell him what happened. He can get it fixed up for you.

www.yspartsandservice.com

Troy Newman
Team YS