Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 120 cyl sleeve removal?

Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Pete S-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 120 cyl sleeve removal?

I have an old, but still good F-120 engine.
It would stop when turned over by hand, like the rotory disc was hitting the back cover.
If I wiggle it it turns over ok, I think the bearings need to be replaced, they sound rough too.
The bushing the rotary valve turns in looks good, no play in it.

I need some advice on getting the sleeve out, I have heated the sleeve area, gently and tried to tap it out from the bottom with a 1/4" wooden dowl, but it won't budge.
What's the proper way to remove it?

Thanks,
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS 120 cyl sleeve removal?

The sleeve should just slide out.

Nothing holds it in place. Could be some dirt or corrosion that is keeping it in place. I suggest sending it to YS Parts and Service...They can get it out and change all the bearings and check it out. Sometimes funny things can happen internally that will give the lock up you describe. Cam gear, rear disc valve, bearings, valves and so on...It should be looked at by an expert to find what is wrong. It can get expensive if you start throwing parts at it.....you could also damage things trying to get the sleeve out of the case. I know I have before. Sometimes it take a little channel lock action but its easy to ruin the sleeve and possible damage the case too....

Troy Newman
Team YS