Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

63-S Fuel spraying out of carb?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
dcpropilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63-S Fuel spraying out of carb?

I thought I had the low end needle set, but the top end lacks power and it takes a couple seconds to respond to full throttle. I'm thinking the regulator is suspect, and it doesn't help that I spread the coils of the spring thinking the spring may have been waekened over time.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 63-S Fuel spraying out of carb?

Go here for some good instructions on how to setup your mixture.

http://www.probuild-uk.co.uk/factsheets/ys_engines.php

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
dcpropilot

Yeah, I've been using this as a guide for the last couple hours in the blazing sun. The engine quits all of a sudden with the regulator screw flush with the top of the lip. I have to screw it in CW about a turn to get in order to then get the low speed needle at the carb to fine tune low speed just about right, but at fulll throttle, I don't seem to be getting max power...and it pauses when going to full throttle. What a pain in the neck this is turning out to be!
Old 07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Troy Newman

Well the 63 S has the external regulator assembly. So flush with the case is not the case with this regulator. Most of the ones I see and play with tend to be inside of flush about a turn or so.

This external regulator is a different beast for the default setting than the other engines. The regulator still works the same and has the same parts inside its just a different box. So the reference is changed.

What do you expect as max power. You should turn a prop at about 10,500 to 11,000rpm. This will depend on your conditions, fuel, elevation, temp, humidity and so on.

All these things will affect the rpms you are getting from the engine. A good start for the 63 and 63S is about a 12-7 to 12-9 on 15-20% nitro. If you are running 30% heli fuel I have run the 13-6 and 14-4W with good results.

If the engine throttles up quick and hesitates...ziiiiiiiiiip-lull- then catches and goes this is too lean. If it just slowly clears out and continues to speed up slowly its too rich.

Do the test of the midrange at the 4000rpm to get the regulator correct.....then your low speed air bleed will do the job.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM
dcpropilot

Thanks Troy,
What am I looking for when I set the regulator at 4000 RPM?

Also, when I adjust the regulator, I assume that the low and high speed needles need to be readjusted each time I change the regulator settings.

Since I slightly spread the coils of the spring, will that be a problem, or does the spring only provide pressure so the screw stays in place?

Thanks again...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Troy Newman

With the engine at 4000 rpm if it surges up and down in rpm then its too lean. If it slowly loads up and slows down then its too rich on the regulator.

This is the same test you do at idle with the 2000rpm

Yes the regulator will affect the top end and low end as well.

Since you messed with the spring likely your setting will change. The spring puts pressure on the plunger to close. If the tension on the spring is higher (screw dialed in or CW) then the regulator will need more pressure to opena nd will not stay open as long. Meansing it runs leaner as less fuel passes.

The less tension on the spring the lower the pressure to open and it stays opened longer so the mixture is now richer.

What you did was messed up the benchmark location to start things. Normally about flush with the case is normal for the regulators. Since you are talking about the 63S with the extenral regualtor. I would say flush to inside flush 1 turn is about normal on these. Will it prevent your engine from operating properly no! but it will affect things. Likely you will have to dial the regualtor screw CCW to reduce the pressure applied by the spring. How much I have no idea. I don't get in there and start stretching springs.

If you engine continues to be an issue then YS Parts and Service does warranty the engines. If your engine is outside of warranty then the service work is very reasonbly priced. All engines are run after they are repaired and sent back to you.

I spoke to Richard this morning and they are running about a 2-3 week turnaround. This is do the high volume in the summer time. He said lots of folks are sending in really old engines that have been working for a long time and are needing a freshen up. He was surprised at how many old 120's have been coming through the door recently for new bearings, and a new ring to make it run like new.

Troy Newman
Team YS