Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

New Ys 63 s over heated

Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Ys 63 s over heated

To break -in this engine ,I mounted it in the plane, using 12x7 prop and all synthetic 20 20 fuel.The engine started on the spot and i carried out heat cycling by running the engine at high rpm - full throttle for few seconds and cooling it after with very rich needle setting.The engine was running perfect out of the box with no alterations to any of the other variables other than the high end needle for heat cycling.Well as usual there is always the however!!. During running the engine with the first tank at the hight rpm interval ,the tank ran out of fuel and the engine reved up ,leaned and quit with the associated smoke.I filled the tank again and continued doing the same and the engine was running good.Unfortunately I was caught in again with an empty second tank and the engined leaned and quit.After refueling the engine seemed to run perfect thru out the rpm range .Do you think I have already done a lot of damage to the engine and complications will show up later ?thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Ys 63 s over heating

I'm not sure how much damage you have done to it. Obviously the worst thing you can do to an engine when its new is get it hot and run it lean. Running it out of fuel like you did was definately not going to help the engine.

Running it out of fuel is just like running it lean.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 07-30-2007, 03:26 AM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Ys 63 s over heating

Thanks Troy for your fast response. It certainly wasn't my intention to run it lean .I know that this is a big no during the break in of new engines. Its very frustrating especialy when i was trying my best to do things right.I was using a tachometer all the time watching over the rpm range and avoiding peaks .Well,since the engine ran fine after those two incedents ie. steady low 2000 rpm ,transition great and steady high 10500 rpm,dont you think that these results might verify that i didn't do serious damage to the engine?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New Ys 63 s over heated

Like I said before I have no idea if you caused damage to the engine. I'm positive that running it out of fuel didn't help it.

If it seems to be running fine then continue to run it and don't abuse it further. With it last as long as it would have if treated nice while breaking it in, maybe not.

The simple fact is you didn't do any good to the engine when running it out of fuel like you did when it was new. The engine is more fragile at this critical break in time. After it has been run in properly with several gallons through it then the likelihood of running it out of fuel causing damage is much less. When it is new the chances of serious damage from this action is much greater. I can't tell you its OK. Because you could have damaged it. It may just not shown up for many flights or it could show up next flight. It is difficult to say. Just like any glow engine, If abused it will not make as much power or last as long as it could have if treated properly.

That doesn't mean the engine is ruined it just means you should be nice to it and hope that it doesn't fail prematurely.

Troy Newman
Team YS