YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 110 fz ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 PM
mlj3
My Feedback: (95)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YS 110 fz ????

I have brought a used Ys 110 that was well taken care of.Ower stated that has had about 10 gallons run though it and he had always run it on the slightly rich side.Running the engine on a test stand with Cool Power 25% (Green) and a 16x6 prop I set the HS needle for 88-9000 rpm and the engines runs Great at those rpms and the engine transition very well getting there.Then I read that the idle speed must be at 2000 or lower.Here is where I am having my problem..I have since mounted the engine inverted on a Extreme fight yak( the engine they recommed) and now I cannot get the engine down to 2000 idle.On its way down to that range the engine vibrates bad and there seems to be this sound that maybe only you YS owers can idenify with its kinda like a plurging or a sucking sound that you hear when you are listening to the engine.The Plane has a hyde soft mount and the planes shakes alot when I am trying to get the idle down low to where it is suppose to be.Anything above idle midrange and top end all is fine.I have not done any adjustments on the regulator and the low speed needle seems to be around 1 and a half turns from being closed.I was able to get the idle down when the engine was upright on the test stand. The prop has been balanced and i am using a OS F4 plug.I have gone back and read alot of the treads and I think i kinda know what to do but i just wanted to make sure.Also the engine does seem to be a little hard to start at idle.The 1st owner said he would flip the prop about 7 times to prime then attach the glow and the engine would start on the 1st or 2nd backward bump.The tank is being pressurize.because i get the air being released sound when i remove the plug from the line.I am using all t fittings and fuel dots.OnceI get this idle right I know that i will have one ASWSUM Motor !!! Thanks in advance.I fell in love with this Plane and Engine Combo from the DVD
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
mlj3

Default RE: YS 110 fz ????

Just a note to add to my Post.When I was running the engine on the test stand I was not using the 1 way valve,Just 2 lines- fuel line on the front nipple on the muffler side of engine and the pressure line on the other nipple on the front of motor Thanks ????
Old 08-22-2007, 12:30 PM
bkrfrmhell
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you answered your own question, not using the one way checkvalve. Kinda like running an engine with part of the carb removed.....
Old 08-22-2007, 12:55 PM
mlj3

But the engine ran fine upright on the test stand.with out the one way valve.Another thing is I am not using the stock exhaust pipe and muffler.I am using just a 3 inch long pipe that is curved and pointing down to exit the exhaust out of the cowl.Could this be part of my problem?? thanks for the reply !!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All YS engines excpet the DZ versions require a check valve or one way valve in the pressure line. Not using it will cause the engien to go lean and could cause damage to the engine. The engine relys on pressure in the tank system to supply its fuel. If you do not use the Check valve you are not building any tank pressure in the tank.

The engine will likley idle without the check valve but anything above 1/2 power will be a problem and potentially cause damage to to it.

go here for a diagram on how to install the plumbing ona YS engine also are instructions on how to operate it.

The check valve is a critical part of the system. It is not an optional part.

http://www.yspartsandservice.com/pdf/FZ110.pdf

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 AM
mlj3

Thanks for the reply.No way was I going to run the engine on the plane without the check valve.To me the check valve is thought of as added insurance that I would have a great running engine without many of the dreaded dead sticks.As stated the engine ran very well on the test stand and it was maybe because i kept it rich.It was only when I mounted the engine inverted on the plane with the check valve installed on the pressure line that I was having problems getting the idle low enough.