Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Valve cover

Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM
BRIAN95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover

Hi Troy,
What is the purpose of the valve cover other than protecting the tappets and the upper valve structure?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Valve cover

The YS 4 stroke engine have a super charger system. What happens is the next charge is sitting in the valve cover area and goes down past the intake valve when it opens. Because the fuel air mixture is already metered by the needle valve and ready to go into the combustion chamber any leaking from this valve cover area could make the engine go lean by letting part of the charge escape before it goes down to get burnt up, or it could suck in additional air and make the mixture lean.

So its very important that the valve cover area is sealed. This is different than many other 4 stroke engines on the market today. Saito for example the rocker covers are more of a dust cover that prevent dirt and debris. It also keeps the lubrication inside but a slight leak on a saito valve cover will have much less affect on performance and reliability than on a YS engine.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 11-15-2007, 04:37 PM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the post you made Troy.

My only problem is the lack of availability of the valve cover gasket----save for one piece from a full 'gasket set'.
$12.95 + shipping from CH for a set (110S) is irritating when you really only need the valve cover gasket.

Any "store bought" alternatives you know of???
Old 11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

onewasp,
I know that I've ordered the valve cover gasket seperately in the past. If central doesn't have it call Richard at YS parts and service and see if he has some in stock. Order a few at a time to cut down on shipping.
Jimmy Skids

http://www.yspartsandservice.com/
Old 11-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you can get individual gaskets from YS Parts and Service directly.

They do not have a web based order system. Central Only carries the gasket sets. The reason is they carry so many YS parts it eliminates the problem of having a whole bunch of one of's in inventory. Its a inventory control issue. Think about how many parts are on that list. Now multiply that for every engine. Yes many parts are the same across the engine family however having to stock independent stuff makes it even more confusing and will drive costs.

Also a Valve cover gasket is $3.95 There are bout 5-6 gaskets in the gasket set for the $12.95

So buying them separately will get more expensive.

I tend to change the gaskets out when I'm doing my service on my engines. I almost always put new gaskets in every time.

Troy Newman
Team YS