Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 170 Fuel

Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Imac Kiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 170 Fuel

Hi Troy

I have a new 170 for my Integral and have a fuel question.

I make up my own fuel, so my question is regarding oil type and nitro content.
I have Klotz KL200 (100% synth) and Coolpower Low viscosity Red oil.
I also have KL103 with 20% caster, but understand this is not recommended in YS engines.

In the past I have run 20% nitro with 20% KL200 in non DZ engines.
Is it worthwhile running more nitro and using the low viscosity oil in the 170?
ie 30% nitro and 24% Coolpower low viscosity.

Also would you use the same mix right from the first run?

I am asking your opinion on the fuel mix you would use with the above ingredients.

Thanks
Alan
Old 11-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS 170 Fuel

Hey Alan,

Use the Cool Power oil with a 23%-24% mix. You can run 20% or 30% nitro...but use the Cool Power oil. Its the good stuff.

I have no experience with the Klotz 200, but I don't recommend using the oil with castor. You'll have troubles.

Same fuel for break in is fine. That is what I do. Just make sure to run it at about 4000rpm for about 5-6 mins at a rich setting on the first run.

Troy
Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Imac Kiwi

Thanks for the prompt reply Troy

Regards
Alan
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 AM
martinoto

Troy, why you don't recomend adding some castor oil? I thought some percentage of castor will be good for high temperatures... is not right?
thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Troy Newman

Castor oil is not good in these engines. While its lubrication properities are excellent in model engines its by-products are very bad for engines like the YS. The exhaust temperatures are very high with the YS engines as a result the Castor oil gets burned into a black crusty burnt on carbon that you can't get off the parts without scraping it.

This carbon built up will actually stick to the inside of the muffler system and the exhasut port. I have seen cases where the build up is so severe that it reduces the exhaust hole to only a 1/8" diameter. Then then sufficates the engine making it run hot, and act like its lean. Eventually you will damage parts on the engine from this restriction.

This is if the engine last long enough without having things like valves sticking and so on before hand. The Castor oil is fine as a lubricant, the higher temps bake the castor oil onto the engine and cause just too many problems.

Today there are better lubricants in the synthetic oil world that can handle the high heat of the YS engines, and not burn into a baked on carbon mess.

In my opinion the use of Castor oil is not good in our model engines. Cool Power, Power Master, Red Max, and other fuels that are around that folks have a big loyalty too are fine fuels and most make an all synthetic oil based fuel. In the Morgan Fuels line the Cool Power is the all synthetic and Omega is the synthetic castor blend.

Just my opinion. I have been at this a few years and have experience with the affects of castor oil in YS engines. I choose not to use it.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Team Cool Power
Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 AM
martinoto

Wow, Troy, thanks for the clarification, your opinion here is most valuable. I have it the other way around, I read in another forum that a small percentage of castor is needed because it will stand better than synthetic at high temperatures.
Thanks and regards
Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 PM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Troy,I will be breaking-in my 63s soon and would appreciate if you could clarify this point to me
You mentioned here ,I quote, "Same fuel for break in is fine. That is what I do. Just make sure to run it at about 4000rpm for about 5-6 mins at a rich setting on the first run".
1. Would you be getting the 4000 rpm by rich HS needle setting at full throttle or some 400 rpm rich from peak setting with reduced throttle?
2.The above recommendation was given for the ys 170.Will it be also good for the ys 63 s ?
Thank you.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Troy Newman

No I throttle the engine up only to a 4000rpm setting at let it run there for a few mins if it will. The I will slowly advance it to full power and set the HS needle a little closer. But still rich.

Then I back the throttle down to around 4000rpm and just let it run there for about 5-6 mins at a time. Let it cool completely in between runs and I usually run at least 1 tank through the engine this way. The second I start looking at setting the HS maybe 300rpm on the rich side of peak, and start trying to dial in the idle mixture as well. The initial run of only being about 4000rpm for a few seconds maybe 10-15secs will get the engine lubricated and help keep it cool. The low rpms allow the engine to just limp along and not make much heat. This also gets the oil throughout the engine and will prevent any issues with cam gears or connecting rods.

When the engine is fresh and new you don't want to run it up to full power for very long and you don't want to peak it and then back it off. I will usually run a full tank through the engine at about 4000rpm before I go about setting the needles. Any changes I make are just to get it to run at the 4000rpm... This is really a fast idle maybe 1/4 throttle or so.

Yes this is a good procedure on any of the YS 4 strokes. Sometimes you do have to throttle up to full power in order to get the HS needle set closer...But the HS can be off a fair bit and the engine still run at 4000rpm reliably.

use the same fuel and prop you are going to fly on the engine. If you know the prop is going to load it pretty good then I would back off the prop just a little.

Goal is to run a prop and fuel that give you the right rpm range. When you are doing the initial run sometimes you might not know what prop is going to work...so go the lighter side of the recommendations in the manual for the engine.

On the 63 you want 10,500-11,000 rpm a 12-7 or 12-8 is going to be a good prop that is a light load. on 30% heli fuel these props should easily turn the 11,000rpm.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 12-24-2007, 11:49 PM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great.Thanks a lot Troy.