Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS FZ110-S out of production?

Old 01-15-2008, 09:13 PM
mike early

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS FZ110-S out of production?

Horizon Hobby, whom I assume owns YS now, says this engine is temporarily out of production. Anyone have any idea why?
Old 01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Troy Newman

Default RE: YS FZ110-S out of production?

YS engines are imported into North America by YS Parts and Service/YS Performance in Minden Nevada. They are not associated with Horizon Hobby. Horizon Hobby is one of their main distributors.

The 110S is not out of production.

What does happen is the High demand for YS engines often over takes supply. This has been the case for many years. The 110's are extremely popular engines. I know there is anew shipment of engines coming very soon, in the next month or so.

I will contact Richard Verano the owner of YS Parts and Service the importer of the engine and see when the next shipment is due. usually they get about 5-6 shipments of engines each year. The last one arrived the week before Thanksgiving, so the next shipment is do soon. We are likely seeing the stock beginning to head toward backorders as the new shipment approaches.

If Horizon Hobby is out of stock at the moment then I would suggest checking some of the dealers like Central Hobbies and OMP as they get their some of their engines from Horizon as well as other distributors.

I'll call Richard tomorrow and find out when the next batch is coming.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
mike early

Thanks. I am glad that horizon hobby does not own everyone yet!

I've never even seen a YS in person, but will happily buy one sight-unseen, from all the accolades that everyone gives them
Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM
msouth12

Mike,
There will be another shipment in Feb, or early March
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM
mike early

It seems that maybe the older version FZ would be the way to go, if they can be found anywhere.....
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Troy Newman

There are 2 on RCU market ads right now.

I know nothing about them and can't endorse them as good engines but you are looking for something used....There you go.

The Newer style 110S has some improvements and a little more power over the 110FZ however the the 110FZ is an excellent engine and you won't go wrong with one. They are excellent engines as all YS engines are.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
mike early

Did you ever hear any feedback of the idle on the new S model as being too fast?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Troy Newman

Nope,

If its too fast, the mixture is not set properly.

First thing OS #F or YS glow plug.

Another thing that does help is more nitro. Most of the guys messing with them that seem to have problems getting the mixture or idle correct are trying to run 15% nitro. I suggest 20% min nitro and I run only 30% Heli in mine. The higher nitro makes the mixture settings have a bigger sweat spot, so they are easier to get the settings correct. I recommend at least a 20% nitro fuel.

The 110S I currently have about 20 flights on will idle at about 1800rpm very consistently. I use Cool Power 30% heli Performance blend with the Low Viscosity oil.

The difference in the 110FZ vs the 110FZ-S are these

A) The crank case is a little stronger in some spots

B) A crankshaft ring was installed to give more boost to the super charger system. this results in more power

C) The pressure regulator was moved from the bottom of the case and mounted on the front pushrod tubes. This makes the engine perform more reliably in hot conditions. Hovering and other 3 D aerobatics can be very harmful to the engines as they will get hot and not get good cooling air. The external regulator helps to keep the fuel cooler before it enters the engine. In extremely abusive situations like long term hovering the engines will get hot and the fuel running through the older style FZ with the regulator as part of the case the fuel could boil or vapor lock in before it gets to the carb. This is extremely uncommon but in abusive situations it can affect the mixture settings. As the engine heats up it also leans out...So the external regulator helps with this problem. It helps maintain much more consistent mixture settings even under abusive flight situations. By the way the new regulator works exactly the same and has many of the same parts as the older on engine style.

D) The engine no longer has a sleeve of liner. The new technology was introduced several years ago with the 63-s and it is a Sleeve-less liner design. This helps transfer the heat better from the heat and the cylinder side walls. This again helps in the high heat and abusive flight conditions. This makes the engine a little lighter and helps the heat transfer to make the engine more efficient.

Nothing was done to the engine that will affect idle or mixture settings. Everything works the same as it did before.

Troy Newman
Team YS

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
mike early

Thanks!