YS 170 DZ Serial No

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Nickolas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 170 DZ Serial No

Hi Troy,

I recently purchased a YS 170DZ, the box has the following Serial No on it :

YS0089/A0330

Could you please inform if this of an earlier or later production? I have just heard that some of the earlier ones had issues. Is that correct? I just would like to verify that mine does not belong to this batch. Also the fuel line has the wired collars on it, is that a sign of an earlier or later batch?

Thanks in advance,
Nikos
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS 170 DZ Serial No

I don't know.

I have had 170's for several years in testing phases and did not know that some engines had trouble. There have been some changes to the engines from my prototype engines but these were made before production engines were released. Some of these changes included a stronger case, better lubrication path on the connecting rod, changes to the wrist pin, crankshaft changes, and a few others. These changes were to improve reliability and performance and not to solve problems. Not only that I think all these changes from the 160 to the 170 were done prior to the production run of engines.

The wired keepers on the 170 production engines was new to me when I got my production engine. It runs excellent, even has a slight power increase over the ealier engines I had...pre-production. Are the keepers needed No I don't use them....but they are good idea to keep the lines from leaking and coming loose. I usually change all the YS engines to my own fuel lines when I get them new out of the box. This prevents having a pin hole of something in a line that I may have missed. This is standard procedure for me and has been for years. I always replace the lines.

As far as serial numbers....the YS0089 is the part number.

I don't know about the other number. I don't think Yamada has started serial numbering the engines. Besides they would not put a serial number on the box...it should go on the engine itself....I would suspect this number came from your distributor....I just don't know.

My production engine box just says ys0089 on it....

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 AM
XMANS

Hi Niickolas,

I had one of the first 170 production engines released and the first 170 to come into Australia, yes I had some issues, but nothing that wasn't easily overcome, the problem was as I see it, in laman terms, it was too well made, it needed about 5 or 6 tanks to loosen it up, after that it was perfect and has not missed a beat.

If you have one of these, think your self lucky, for I believe that its a better engine than the rest, that is after you have it running.
I suspect there are a few of these around, and if you have one, don't worry, for between Troy and myself you will be up and running in no time.

Will Crossman
Australia
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

For what it is worth my YS 170DZ has the same two sets of numbers that yours has. ( YS0089/A0330 ). I had my son buy the motor at a hobby shop and send it to me from Japan since I could not get it in the US at that time.

Also I need to slow the pulling power of the engine down some. Would you recommend a prop with less pitch or a longer one? This flys my QQ YAK very well at 1/4 throttle. At full throttle it is a Rocket.

John