Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

Need muffler for YS140 Sport

Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 AM
dmccormick001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need muffler for YS140 Sport

Hey Guys!

I have a YS140 Sport that just would not idle smoothly. I couldn't lean it enough to make it run well once the glow ignitor was removed. A call to Central Hobbies put me in touch with a man at YS named Rocky who instructed me to take the carb apart and drill the hole in the barrel out to 1/8". I did and finally got the motor to idle very well. By this time I was anxious to fly the 73" QQ Yak-54 for which I bought this engine, so away I went. Evidentally all the shaking and vibration that occured while I was trying to get this motor to idle caused the muffler to loosen up, and it fell of in flight. I've looked at several places, but no one seems to offer the muffler as a separate item, including Central Hobbies. Does anybody know where I can order one? It kinda ticks me off to have to buy one, 'cause I'm pretty sure all the trouble I had with adjusting the low end on the carb is what caused it, but I don't have much choice. Any help sure would be appreciated.

David McCormick, president
[link=http://www.fallingwaterrc.com]Falling Water Radio Control Flying Club[/link]
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need muffler for YS140 Sport

ORIGINAL: dmccormick001

Hey Guys!

I have a YS140 Sport that just would not idle smoothly. I couldn't lean it enough to make it run well once the glow ignitor was removed. A call to Central Hobbies put me in touch with a man at YS named Rocky who instructed me to take the carb apart and drill the hole in the barrel out to 1/8". I did and finally got the motor to idle very well. By this time I was anxious to fly the 73" QQ Yak-54 for which I bought this engine, so away I went. Evidentally all the shaking and vibration that occured while I was trying to get this motor to idle caused the muffler to loosen up, and it fell of in flight. I've looked at several places, but no one seems to offer the muffler as a separate item, including Central Hobbies. Does anybody know where I can order one? It kinda ticks me off to have to buy one, 'cause I'm pretty sure all the trouble I had with adjusting the low end on the carb is what caused it, but I don't have much choice. Any help sure would be appreciated.

[link=http://www.fallingwaterrc.com]Falling Water Radio Control Flying Club[/link]

Try Performance Specialities. I have a couple of them and they work great.

Here is the link.

[link=http://www.pspec.com/results.asp?category=4]Performance Specialities Link[/link]

Good luck....
Old 04-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

YS Part Numbers

YSE4925 is the complete muffler assembly.

YSE4930 is just the muffler
yse4345 is the exhaust pipe
yse 4350 is just the locking nuts.

Central Hobbies has these part numbers. you may need to call them.

For reference to install this thing without it coming loose...You need to not bottom out the the threaded exhaust stack. Then the locking nut needs to be tight against the head. If you bottom the thing out then when the aluminum heats up the steel pipe will expand at a different rate...meaning slower than the aluminum and it will work its way loose. So don't bottom out the threaded stack. The be sure to get a really good tightening on the locking nut. Sometimes it works to start the engine and get it hot. Then using some gloves...re-torque the locking nuts down. If you do this when its up to temp it will not come loose.

Same goes for the locking nut on the muffler side...Get it hot from running it and then re-torque it down.

For the muffler itself. I take it apart and put a very thing film of Silicone RTV high temp Red on the bolts like locktite and also as a gasket in between the muffler halves. Tighten it all up and wipe off all the excess silicone on the outside. Let this assembly cure for 24hrs before you run the engine. They will never come apart doing this...

It works on any of the model engines with two part mufflers.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 04-29-2008, 01:53 PM
dmccormick001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I think I'll give Central Hobbies a call.

I appreciate the tips on installation. I've learned since buying this engine that the YS's seem to be somewhat known for lots of vibration, and mine was banging around a lot more than normal at first because I couldn't get it to idle. Once I get a new exhaust I'll make sure to follow your suggestions for tightening it down, and then I'll probably use an old trick I haven't had to use for a long time-I'll put a wire or something around the muffler so that if it does come loose at least I won't lose it completely.

[link=http://www.fallingwaterrc.com]FallingWater Radio Control Flying Club[/link]