Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS140FZ valve ajustment screw + nut

Old 05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
BocaBen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS140FZ valve ajustment screw + nut

My YS140FZ quit in flight yesterday due to the intake valve adjustment nut becoming loose.
- Is there a trick to prevent that, other than super-tightening it.
- Anybody using a 3mm lock-nut on this? Enough clearance? Resistance to heat+fuel?

Thanks
Ben
Old 05-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: YS140FZ valve ajustment screw + nut

They should be tight be careful you can break the bolt or strip the locking nut.

Don't use anything but what is there. There is not enough clearance for anything else. Make sure they are tight....Its really rare they come loose.

If it did come loose inspect the threads in the tappet as they may be stripped or the nut may be damaged or stripped.

It could just be the case that you didn't tighten it up enough...Although they don't take much force. I would suspect the screw, tappet or locking nut are damaged.

No loctite. This is inside the engine and gets hot any loctite will melt out, and then a hard crusty piece of loctite will go down inside the engine and damage the piston, ring or liner.
It also gets raw fuel on it so the loctite will not hold anyway you are wasting your time with it.

Troy Newman
Team YS
Old 05-13-2008, 04:12 PM
BocaBen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: YS140FZ valve ajustment screw + nut

Troy,
thanks for your answer, I will stay with the standard 3mm nut.
I have a YS63 and 110 as well, never had any problem there, so maybe my fault for sure for under-tightening it.