New YS170DZ Qs?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New YS170DZ Qs?

Troy,

I just received my new 170DZ and I have a couple of questions:

It feels "draggy" to turn, both the crankshaft and the carb butterfly valve. Could this be caused by thick machine oil used to store the engine?

Should I break in the engine in the bench or can I do it in the plane?

What is the break in procedure? rich mid throttle run for a couple of tanks would do it?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New YS170DZ Qs?

The way I break the engines in is run them at 4000rpm for about 5mins time then let it cool completely before starting it again. I never hit full power or really adjust mixture settings other than if it is obviously lean...I never go to full power until the engine has 3-4 of these 5min runs at max rpm of 4000rpm.

The keys are to keep the engine from getting HOT and to only run short bursts of about 5mins at a low rpm until the parts break in. Then after I do this for 3-4 runs I will peak the HS and back it off about 300 rpm and this is where I fly the engine.

The slight drag that you describe might be normal. I can't say without touching your engine. I would suspect it is fine out of the box.

Troy Newman
Team YS