Notices
YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

YS 160 Surging at idle

Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 AM
tonye5797

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS 160 Surging at idle

I recently used my patern plane after it had sat around for a while.
The YS160 was running fine when i used it last.
The fuel system uses a header tank. There is a check fitted on the vent, and the filters are new (one on vent, one on delivery).

- At first i had alot of trouble starting the engine, and when it ran it was lean.
- It ran fine at about 2.75-3 turns out for one flights and then on the second the glow plug fell out, grrrr.
- After the plug was replaced it ran again like this for one more flight, and then went Rich!

- When i got home i flushed the filters, reg, and fuel lines, but did not disasseble the tank or engine
- I returned the neddle to two turns out
- The engine started easy and ran like this, but surged at idle.

- I pulled the tank out and found the clunk had corroded. I cleaned this and fitted new fuel lines.

- I tried running it again and it started fine.
- It was a little rich, but the transition from low was good.
- After warming up i tried to get the engine to idle. It went low enough in RPM, but was surging again
- At any other throtle position the engine was fine, it would just slightly surge around idle.
- I seem to need more throtle trim than last to stop it from stopping at low throtle.

- I pulled the regulator off and cleaned it. It seemed to be clean, and the ports were clear etc. I don't think there was a problem there?
- I have not adjust the reg, but up untill now the engine was good.

Any sugestions on why the idle is surging, but fine when the revs pick up?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 AM
sandseeker

Default RE: YS 160 Surging at idle

I had this with a 63, turned out to be a tiny piece of debris in the one way valve. I replaced the valve and she runs like a dream again.

chris

Old 02-16-2009, 12:12 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Whats the RPM at Idle before it surges?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:22 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are getting a surge it is an indicator of a lean condition. I am taking for granted that your idle is around 2000-2200 RPM. Since the DZ fuel system is different from the usual pressurized YS fuel system and the idle is set by the regulator you might try richening the regulator just a bit. I am thinking this might be the issue since you state the high speed needle is set at 2 turns out which is usually very rich for a DZ.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:39 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Be sure that your regulator is nice and clean. I know you said you cleaned it. The plunger should be a nice and shiny piece of brass...not dingy with fuel scum.